Beginners and Beyond

Thursdailies - Warm! (Read 40 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Depends where you look. AccuWeather is less windy and low 50s. Weather channel has upper 50s to near 60 with a chance of showers. Wind from the south, 10-20 mph. Not great. The road section before the turnaround may suck if the wind is coming from the south.

I prefer the National Weather Service hourly forecast.  Most commercial sites just give you the nearest big city (though in this case AC may count).  NWS is forecasting an 8:00 am temp of 52, going up to 55 by 10:00.  10 mph wind from a little east of south, and 46% chance of rain during the race.  More cloudy than not.  Since the course runs SW/NE, at least a southerly wind won't be directly in our faces.

Rain would be a bummer, but overall, this isn't a bad forecast in my mind.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w1=td&w2=wc&w3=sfcwind&w3u=1&w4=sky&w5=pop&w6=rh&w7=rain&w8=thunder&w9=snow&w10=fzg&w11=sleet&w13u=0&w16u=1&w17u=1&AheadHour=35&Submit=Submit&FcstType=graphical&textField1=39.3629&textField2=-74.4264&site=all&unit=0&dd=&bw=

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

bluerun

Super B****

You can run/walk 8 min pace for 26.2? Injured or not, you are fast! During my 5K a few weeks ago, I hit a mile PR of 7:50.

I tested it out in a half marathon and a long run to see if it's possible -- so I haven't done it for 26.2 yet, but if I don't fall apart, it should be doable!  (Hell, I know of people who have finished half an hour faster than I'm hoping to using run/walk intervals.  My primary reason for doing this is because my knee is an idiot, but if it makes me feel less beat up afterwards, all the better.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Half Crazy K 2.0

Fred, the wind can be tough near the turnaround in Longport. It comes off the bay and funnels through the condos there.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred, the wind can be tough near the turnaround in Longport. It comes off the bay and funnels through the condos there.

Good to know, thanks.  And here I was thinking the exposed boardwalk would be worse.  Always good to get course hints from someone who's been there.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You'll be running for 26.2 miles, it doesn't get much stupider than that.

Have you visited the Ultra Running group recently?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

sdWhiskers

I tested it out in a half marathon and a long run to see if it's possible -- so I haven't done it for 26.2 yet, but if I don't fall apart, it should be doable!  (Hell, I know of people who have finished half an hour faster than I'm hoping to using run/walk intervals.  My primary reason for doing this is because my knee is an idiot, but if it makes me feel less beat up afterwards, all the better.)

Will you stick to a certain ratio for the run/walk from the beginning? Or just go with what your knee can tolerate?

LRB

Have you visited the Ultra Running group recently?

lol

bluerun

Super B****

Will you stick to a certain ratio for the run/walk from the beginning? Or just go with what your knee can tolerate?

6/:30 from the get-go, though I may wait a couple of miles to start doing that so the herd can thin out a bit.  It shouldn't be TOO bad, because I'm in the first corral.

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

I second this.  That was THE WORST.

chasing the impossible

Half Crazy K 2.0

Good to know, thanks.  And here I was thinking the exposed boardwalk would be worse.  Always good to get course hints from someone who's been there.

If it's a West wind, the resort area of the boardwalk offers some relief. Just run as close to the buildings as possible.

delicate flower

Hey LOL!  I've been working in my project office all week, two blocks from my cubicle.  I feel bad being away from my staff.  I am sure they don't mind it!

I've got a bike/run workout tonight.  I've hit my legs pretty hard five days in a row, so today will be an all easy effort, workout plan be damned.

<3

delicate flower

So I had to buy another new HRM.  That's like five or six of them that I have gone through.  I bought another Wahoo Tickr X.  I like my old one, until it stopped working.  Like half the time lately it wouldn't connect to my Garmin, and it's been increasingly giving me spikes and dropouts.  Wahoo sent me a coupon code for a new one, so $65 isn't bad.  I've come to accept that I just tear through the GPS equipment.  HRM's, watches, foot pods.  It's just a matter of time until my bike's power meter ($900) or speed sensor shit the bed.

<3

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I agree with your approach.  I've been run/walking in some training LR's and find I don't lose that much in pace, but it saves a lot of wear and tear on the body.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I can never run/walk as fast as I can run marathons, so I quit trying.  Meanwhile, my husband keeps PRing on the HM distance using 6:1 run/walk.

Ran 14 on the TM.

And remember the shirt I showed with Bugsy on it from INKnBURN?

I ordered for the rest of the assholes, and also got two for Lily and Daisy, the ones that passed away.  Theirs is awesome:

Damaris

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I ordered for the rest of the assholes, and also got two for Lily and Daisy, the ones that passed away.  Theirs is awesome:

Holy cow, the one on the right, I thought the cat was actually sitting on the shirt!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours