Beginners and Beyond

Thursdailies don't care about weather! (Read 42 times)

happylily

Thanks Lily -- I don't think its PF (been there and done that), but rather some mild tendonitis where my peroneal tendon attaches to the bottom of my foot near the heel.  I've had this flare up a few times over the years and find that taking it easy for week or so usually gets it to calm done.  

I'm trying to get thru a Pfitz plan for a goal HM on March 23 that is going to push my limits pretty good.  If this foot continues to give me problems, I'm going to have to tone it down a fair amount, and pick another goal race later in the season.

I wish you good luck with that! What is the Pfitz plan like for the half?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

outoftheblue

Lily -- It's a 15 week plan, that I ended up starting at week 12.  It has a good mix of speed work and peaks at 50 mpw.   My 2013 average was 32 mpw, so its a bit of a stretch for me.   I really want to try to break 2 hours, so I picked a more ambitious plan.  I wish I was gifted with more natural speed, but I'm finding every second I can shave off to be a hard fought struggle.   It's not helping that I'm closing in on the big 5-0.

Life is good.

LRB

I wish I was gifted with more natural speed, but I'm finding every second I can shave off to be a hard fought struggle. 

A structured program using the 5 and 10k as training tools will help with that regardless of your age or ability.  But we can discuss that after your event if you are interested.

DavePNW

Lily -- It's a 15 week plan, that I ended up starting at week 12.  It has a good mix of speed work and peaks at 50 mpw.   My 2013 average was 32 mpw, so its a bit of a stretch for me.   I really want to try to break 2 hours, so I picked a more ambitious plan.  I wish I was gifted with more natural speed, but I'm finding every second I can shave off to be a hard fought struggle.   It's not helping that I'm closing in on the big 5-0.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH CLOSING IN ON THE BIG 5-0.

Dave

Yugo18

Very vague...perhaps a place formerly named similarly to your user name?

You got me!  Smile

LRB

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH CLOSING IN ON THE BIG 5-0.

+1

I am getting all into his ass!  lol

happylily

32 mpw over 2013 is excellent, Linda. We tend to compare ourselves to people on the forums who are fanatical about running and can run 80 mpw on a regular basis, so we think that 32 mpw isn't a lot. But in reality, in real life, it's excellent mileage, and certainly fit for Pfitz. I completely agree with you about PRs becoming a bit harder to come by as we age, but it makes every second gained even more meaningful. I think a sub-2:00 half will be waiting for you in March and I hope you will write an RR for us, no matter what. The finish time isn't everything, it's the road that got us to the start line that matters most.

You and I can both hold hands when we turn 50. I'm scared too. 

DavePNW

You got me!  Smile

So what is the place called now? Don't worry we won't try to track down your relatives. Just curious because I have made a number of trips to Slovenia. Beautiful place.

Dave

Just B.S.

You and I can both hold hands when we turn 50. I'm scared too. 

Don't worry 50 was more than 2 years ago . you will survive and maybe even get faster at the marathon and become a triathlete .

I hear  it can happen

DavePNW

32 mpw over 2013 is excellent, Linda. We tend to compare ourselves to people on the forums Lily who is fanatical about running and can run 80 mpw on a regular basis, so we think that 32 mpw isn't a lot. 

FYP.

Dave

outoftheblue, excellent eight.

Good L-rd. The chafingSad

outoftheblue

LRB -- Pfitz has me running 2 10Ks to get ready for this race, and I'm thinking of adding a 3rd.   My fingers are crossed they help.

And yeah, 50 is a big milestone    But, you know, so far every decade of my life has been better than the one that has preceded it.   Why should this be any different?

And, Beth, you are a real inspiration to me on how improvement can come at all ages.  

Life is good.

happylily

LRB -- Pfitz has me running 2 10Ks to get ready for this race, and I'm thinking of adding a 3rd.   My fingers are crossed they help.

And yeah, 50 is a big milestone    But, you know, so far every decade of my life has been better than the one that has preceded it.   Why should this be any different?

And, Beth, you are a real inspiration to me on how improvement can come at all ages.  

+100 on all three points!

Just B.S.

Was going to run home after work but hubby told me not to in the dark . He fell on ice 4 times running at lunch. So I retreated to the basement again Sad

Did a brick Oreo

5 k treadmill

45 minutes bike

3 k treadmill

15 minutes upper body.

7 am tomorrow I will be doing an hour of laps before work.

happylily

FYP.

I do not run 80 mpw on a regular basis. Very rarely, in fact. And I am NOT fanatical. Did you see me lose myself in alcohol and despair when I was injured for two months last summer? No. So there.