Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES - are you up for it? (Read 32 times)

Cyberic

You don't listen to his advice anyway 

Advice backed by arguments might make me change my mind, or at least make me think, see from another angle.

But advice in the form of  "you should run less" or "you should lower the drop of your shoes"... not so much.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I got a new phone last night. My Fenix actually stays connected!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Damn, I don't know if I want to change to the 10K anymore. Some local runners are trying to convince me that it would be a better marathon prep if I ran the half at ~95% effort than running the 10K at 100% effort.

1- Are they right? I dunno, but it kinda makes sense

2- Could I do it? Probably, but it would require a big mental effort to hold back, especially if everything is going well

3- What happens if I end up pushing too much? I'll spend my taper recovering from the HM instead of "correctly" tapering.

Can't make up my mind.

The advice seems sound, but the execution could be difficult.  In similar situations I've paced slower friends to insure that my pace and effort remained where it should be.  I've also raced 12M hard two weeks before a marathon and still had good results, but I was also 23 at the time and used to racing frequently, neither of which apply in this situation.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

The advice seems sound, but the execution could be difficult.  In similar situations I've paced slower friends to insure that my pace and effort remained where it should be.  I've also raced 12M hard two weeks before a marathon and still had good results, but I was also 23 at the time and used to racing frequently, neither of which apply in this situation.

Yeah, pacing someone for a sub 1:30 HM would work.

RunningOnSand

I got a new phone last night. My Fenix actually stays connected!

Yay!!!

RunningOnSand

Yeah, pacing someone for a sub 1:30 HM would work.

I think you know yourself best. If you have a gut feeling about either--do it. If you know you won't be able to hold back with the HM, why risk it? Totally depends on what your goals are, IMO.

Rest day today, which is good, b/c I have a sick cherub at home today. Methinks he caught what I had. Sad I also went to Target and spent way too much money. With the intentions of buying like 3 things. 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Question: Can I use my "stick" while wearing the compression sleeve, or do I have to take it off before using the "stick"?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Question: Can I use my "stick" while wearing the compression sleeve, or do I have to take it off before using the "stick"?

Who can know, but I'm not sure it's smart to do anything to a muscle that is being compressed except look at it.

Cyberic

I'm not sure it's smart to do anything to a muscle that is being compressed except look at it.

LRB

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Who can know, but I'm not sure it's smart to do anything to a muscle that is being compressed except look at it.

This. You either take off the sleeve and stick it or not. Don’t do both.  And LOL.

Damaris

delicate flower

Busy work day, and the people I am with don't get my Doctor Strange references and it is pissing me off.  Like, we got a message about an active shooter drill but the "drill" text came at the end of the message and a couple of people freaked out at first, so of course I said "The warnings come after the spells" and people looked at me like I am an idiot, which of course I probably am.  God dammit.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Since I am the youngest in the office and since most people there still answer their phones and use paper files, I cannot make reference to any movie past Jaws...

Damaris

Cy, I envy your run commute ability.  I have no shower, and I'd have to run on a 12 lane freeway, so that's out for me.  Also it's 13 miles, which is a little much on the daily.  But I hear you.  Carving out time that won't affect the fam is key to this thing.  Otherwise, dude.  10K all the way.  You know this is what you want to do and you know it's the right call.  Stop dithering and just commit to running 10 kilometers balls out and then spending the following couple of weeks not obsessing over whether you've done something dumb by over-efforting a 1/2.  Better for your body, and definitely better for your psyche.

It's good to know I have cocktail company around here.  LRB, homemade wine sounds like prison wine tho.  Is it safe?  Is it even good?  I need more deets.

I ran 9 easy.  Fun stuff, and bonus, it's shorts weather here now.

I'm throwing an old school house party on Saturday night.  I stopped at the store and stocked up on booze at 9:00 a.m.  No shame.

Cyberic

What would you do?

I have absolutely no opinion whatsoever on the subject. I don't even understand what you guys are talking about with your sticks and compression. And you don't have to explain, either. Just carry on