Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES - are you up for it? (Read 32 times)

Cyberic

Otherwise, dude.  10K all the way.  You know this is what you want to do and you know it's the right call.  Stop dithering and just commit to running 10 kilometers balls out and then spending the following couple of weeks not obsessing over whether you've done something dumb by over-efforting a 1/2.  Better for your body, and definitely better for your psyche.

LOL. Thanks!

LOL. Thanks!

I'm here to bring the tough love. 

onemile

I'm here to bring the tough love. 

That was awesome! 

DavePNW

I stopped at the store and stocked up on booze at 9:00 a.m.  No shame.

There's a book that is actually a compilation of discarded grocery shopping lists, that a guy collected and published. You would not think, but it is freaking hilarious. My wife & I picked it up in a bookstore (this was years ago) and could not stop laughing, so we bought it. The book is called Milk Eggs Vodka.

Dave

DavePNW

Busy work day, and the people I am with don't get my Doctor Strange references and it is pissing me off.  Like, we got a message about an active shooter drill but the "drill" text came at the end of the message and a couple of people freaked out at first, so of course I said "The warnings come after the spells" and people looked at me like I am an idiot, which of course I probably am.  God dammit.

When you have someone repeating the same thing over and over again, make sure to say "Dormamu, I've come to bargain."

Dave

LRB

I have absolutely no opinion whatsoever on the subject. I don't even understand what you guys are talking about with your sticks and compression. And you don't have to explain, either. Just carry on 

I don't know a single thing about compression so you're in luck.

delicate flower

HEY DAVE P!  No real useful information in today's BAA e-mail.  It appears they just wanted to remind us that we have a marathon in less than two weeks.

<3

LRB

This. You either take off the sleeve and stick it or not. Don’t do both.  And LOL.

I never bought into the compression concept, or ice baths for that matter. I know there are people who swear by it but it's counterintuitive to what I understand about muscle stimulus and adaptation. YMMV

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I never bought into the compression concept, or ice baths for that matter. I know there are people who swear by it but it's counterintuitive to what I understand about muscle stimulus and adaptation. YMMV

I used to race marathons in compression socks and now find them too compressive most of the time. Mostly because I think the BP meds are swelling my legs. But When I ran with them, I would barely be sore post marathon or LR.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

No miles today.

Took DS to the allergist this morning and just like me, he seems to be somewhat allergic to all things inside and outside. They even test for cockroaches. It's gross to think that homes have cockroach parts floating around.

sdWhiskers

I like wearing compression socks for a few hours after longer races (HMs and marathons). I don't care if it does anything, it just feels nice

LRB

I used to race marathons in compression socks and now find them too compressive most of the time. Mostly because I think the BP meds are swelling my legs. But When I ran with them, I would barely be sore post marathon or LR.

I've heard that.

LRB

I like wearing compression socks for a few hours after longer races (HMs and marathons). I don't care if it does anything, it just feels nice

That's me and arm sleeves. I like the way they look.

They're so clutch for plane rides, or road trips for that matter.  Ever since I had these damn kids, my ankles swell if I don't take precautionary steps.  I tried once to wear them after a race to drive home, but they proved too difficult to get on at that point.  Recall my nekkid cramping sitch post marathon, which was me just trying to put on pants.  Compression socks were a total fail the time I tried.  They are great to wear during the post-race post-shower nap though.

DaveP, I saw a meme of a discarded grocery list that said:

Wine

Shit that goes with wine

The caption was, "Please call me, you are my soul mate."  I died.  I need that book.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

This. You either take off the sleeve and stick it or not. Don’t do both.  And LOL.

I'll wait til this evening to take it off and stick it.

As far as whether they work or not, or if it is helping or whatever..... no idea and no opinion on it, I have compression socks I wear after runs over an hour because yeah it feels good and DH loves those knee-high socks.

Yesterday was my first time wearing a thigh compression sleeve as I never had one, my thighs are really thick and anything tight around just them make the fat just bulge out like a busted can of biscuits. This sleeve does not, it's not as tight as my compression socks but just enough. I wore it for like 8-10 hours yesterday and took it off before bed. Got up this morning with no stiff aches or soreness, can't say the sleeve is helping but it isn't hurting I guess.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)