Beginners and Beyond

Points system to integrate core work (Read 53 times)

Cyberic

I've been thinking about this simple system that will get me doing some other exercices to complement my running. It's gotta be easy, and done in no time, otherwise I'll quit. I started working on it this week, and I'm actually following it easily enough.

I need to get to 50 points in a day. Every km I run is worth 1 point ( 1 mile could be worth 1.5 point ). If I ran 20km that day, I need to get 30 more points in the day. There are multiple ways to score points:

1 km = 1 pt

1 pushup = 1 point

2 crunch situps = 1 point

30 s side plank = 10 points

60 seconds normal (belly down) plank = 15 points

Ground portion of Coach Jay's Myrtl routine = 20 points

My points chart will probably change over time, but the idea is that if I'm 30 points behind before I go to bed, I need to do something: 2 sets of 15 pushups or 2 x 30 s side planks + 10 pushups or whatever. It will only take 5 minutes per day, but since it is so easy and short, maybe I can do it every day for a long time.

What do you guys think?

LRB

I would need a jolt of electricity at bed time to get me to do anything other than run, I am so bad at it! I actually do a form of the Myrtle routine pre-run but other than that it's tough sledding.

It looks promising but 50 points would probably be too high for me. I would likely do better assigning an exercise per day or something like that but even then, there are days when I'm just whooped mentally when I get home.

LRB

When are you starting this so we'll know when we can begin annoying you about it in the dailies?

Cyberic

I kinda started this week, but it was 40 points, and pushups were the only other points I could get, and I didn't have to do it every day. It did get me into doing a few pushups, but I'm too weak to do pushups every day, thus the "doesn't have to be every day" part. But if it doesn't have to be every day, then often I won't feel like doing it.

I'm starting today with the 50 pts system. Today I already ran 18 kms, and did the myrtl routine, for 20 more points. So 12 pushups or 24 crunch situps, or a 60 second plank this evening during a TV commercial break or something. Will be easy.

Do feel free to bug me in the dailies about it. The whole idea is to get me doing something else than just running, even if it's not much. A little forum pressure can't be bad 

LRB

A little forum pressure can't be bad 

Yeah but a lot can crush you. lol

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I don't enjoy much in the way of exercise.  Lifting weights, body weight workouts, and all other non-running things bore me to tears.  However, I have made myself get into the habit of doing 30 heel drop/calf raises and 30 pushups after every run.  As soon as I hit my front porch,  I get them done.  Then I can go in and have the coffee that is waiting for me.

I think this helps me, it surely can't hurt.  If you find a way to motivate yourself, it has to be a good thing.

Runner with a riding problem.

onemile

What happens if you don't get 50 points?

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I'd assume he has to endure some type of self-performed corporal punishment.

onemile

I was thinking he could Paypal me 5 bucks each day that he comes up short.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I was thinking he could Paypal me 5 bucks each day that he comes up short.

I don't think both would be out of the question.  He has to learn someway.

Cyberic

Same thing as when I miss a run: Guilt 

Cyberic

I was thinking of letting the woman perform the corporal punishment

Cyberic

30 seconds standing on one foot: 5 points

1 squats: 2 pts

There are so many possibilities that I shouldn't be able to come up with an excuse. In theory. We'll see...

happylily

Does this mean that we will be treated to cross-training reports a la Andrea?

I say whatever works for you is a great system. Sometimes I like writing everything I do, down to the number of glasses of water I drink (because drinking water is a chore for me). It motivates me. So if trying to make your points motivates you, it's all good. But, one pushup is one point? Come on... Make it a block of 5, at least... And you should really replace the 2x15 pushups punishment before bed with self-flagellation. I think it would be more effective. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

30 seconds standing on one foot: 5 points

1 squats: 2 pts

There are so many possibilities that I shouldn't be able to come up with an excuse. In theory. We'll see...

30 seconds on one foot is 5 points? What kind of exercise is that? Btw, did you try that exercise that Rick had one morning in his opening post in the dailies? My SO struggled with it a bit. I almost laughed but I managed to show sympathy. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010