Beginners and Beyond

Taper Saturdailies (Read 30 times)

Cyberic

I was thinking I’ve been spending most of my time climbing up the ladder, but that’s really been only the last few months. I remembered what kind of mileage I piled up training for Boston. On the day of that race, I was sitting at #3. Behind only the Cyborg and that Skyrunner dude. IDK who that is, but he’s got a 2:33 marathon.

I'm always surprised at people who like to be in many groups. I'm on only two Strava groups, one of them is Montreal Run Commuters. There are people from the US and Europe in that group. I just don't understand why they want to join in so many groups.

Cyberic

I ran 8 at the trail.

The usually soft surface was frozen solid and with all of the frozen wheel ruts my ankles got a good workout...good as in bad. I am not sure it'll be worth the drive out there to run other than for a change in scenery. 🤔

To me that is the hard adaptation to winter: the surface. I agree about it being a good workout, but not necessarily in a good way.

LRB

To me that is the hard adaptation to winter: the surface. I agree about it being a good workout, but not necessarily in a good way.

Yeah it's normally snowed over during the winter months so I don't run there for long stretches in the off season and I'd forgotten about the frozen ruts. I'll probably wear a shoe with more beef in the sole and try it again. The ruts aren't the end of the world they just jar you out of your zone.

LRB

Flying: 1 hour

Driving: 8-12 hours (depending on LA madness)

Easy choice. The family is joining me and we head up Fri afternoon, leaving right after the race on Sunday. Almost all flying we do is cross country so it's super awesome to have such a short flight (and super cheap!) this time.

Makes sense. I'd forgotten how long the drive was. Yes, by the time the plane levels off (if it does!), you'll be preparing for landing. #goingupannndnowgoingdown

From the Internet.

Hi!

15 miles with my club today. We started off with a pack of 9 and stuck together even after the first few miles, so that was fun. Usually some folks will pull ahead and we'll end up with a few smaller groups. We dropped people off at 9 miles, 10 miles, 13 miles, 14 miles, and then  there were just two of us at the end.

Weather was perfect, glad I only have an hour all alone in the cold pouring rain tomorrow!

Baboon

delicate flower

So I can’t remember if I followed up on my unused vacation payment saga. I did get the corrected payment via direct deposit, the next day. OK then. In the meantime, I talked to one of the other guys who was let go, and he suggested I might want to go to the payroll website and check the vacation balance myself. Because he did so and it turned out they had shorted him a few days. Sure enough - it looked like the hours they counted did not include the 7 days that were already approved in the system for a vacation planned in December. I pointed that out to the HR Mgr and she basically said “oops”. They will get it figured out & make another payment. FFS.

On one hand, .  On the other hand, WOO HOO seven more days of pay!!  On the third hand, I wonder how many other people they've screwed.

<3

DavePNW

On one hand, .  On the other hand, WOO HOO seven more days of pay!!  On the third hand, I wonder how many other people they've screwed.

Yeah, hopefully they’re now double-checking the people who were part of this deal. She told me they found this with someone else, and I said to myself YES I KNOW, that’s how I figured it out.

So anyway, chance of rain next weekend now showing a bit lower...ohpleaseohpleaseohplease....

Dave

DavePNW

5 miles.

Dave

Cyberic

I dunno, it seems they knew about it from the guy who told Dave, they even told Dave they knew, but acted like they didn't? Maybe I have it wrong, but it looks like people who are trying to avoid extra work, or some company admin directive to only give it to people who ask fir it.

onemile

I dunno, it seems they knew about it from the guy who told Dave, they even told Dave they knew, but acted like they didn't? Maybe I have it wrong, but it looks like people who are trying to avoid extra work, or some company admin directive to only give it to people who ask fir it.

yup

onemile

Yeah, hopefully they’re now double-checking the people who were part of this deal. She told me they found this with someone else, and I said to myself YES I KNOW, that’s how I figured it out.

So anyway, chance of rain next weekend now showing a bit lower...ohpleaseohpleaseohplease....

could end up being perfect

LRB

I was thinking I’ve been spending most of my time climbing up the ladder, but that’s really been only the last few months. I remembered what kind of mileage I piled up training for Boston. On the day of that race, I was sitting at #3. Behind only the Cyborg and that Skyrunner dude. IDK who that is, but he’s got a 2:33 marathon.

It seems you invariably find yourself in the mix despite the occasional setback.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Question for the group about long runs. For a half, typically my lonest runs have been about 11 miles, time wise it usually winds up about the same as finish time for the race. How much benefit is there to increasing the long run so it is over 13 miles? For me, if there is easy pace in there (which there would have to be), we're talking a 2.5 hour long run.

DavePNW

The company’s level of incompetence I’d say slightly exceeds their willingness to screw people over, so I’m gonna guess they just didn’t realize it. But could go either way.

Dave

onemile

Question for the group about long runs. For a half, typically my lonest runs have been about 11 miles, time wise it usually winds up about the same as finish time for the race. How much benefit is there to increasing the long run so it is over 13 miles? For me, if there is easy pace in there (which there would have to be), we're talking a 2.5 hour long run.

Personally for HM training I like a long run of 16 or so (maybe even 17 (which I have done). Which at easy pace would take me around 2 hrs 16 mins. For a half marathon where my goal would be to run 90 minutes.

"how much benefit is there?" probably it's debatable but I think there is benefit to training over distance for every distance up to the marathon where the costs of recovery outweighs the benefit