Beginners and Beyond

Taper Saturdailies (Read 30 times)

DavePNW

Question for the group about long runs. For a half, typically my lonest runs have been about 11 miles, time wise it usually winds up about the same as finish time for the race. How much benefit is there to increasing the long run so it is over 13 miles? For me, if there is easy pace in there (which there would have to be), we're talking a 2.5 hour long run.

How much IDK, but I’d definitely say there is some benefit.

Dave

DavePNW

Personally for HM training I like a long run of 16 or so 

Same.

Dave

From the Internet.

Question for the group about long runs. For a half, typically my lonest runs have been about 11 miles, time wise it usually winds up about the same as finish time for the race. How much benefit is there to increasing the long run so it is over 13 miles? For me, if there is easy pace in there (which there would have to be), we're talking a 2.5 hour long run.

I think quantifying the benefit is kind of impossible to do ahead of time, but if you have maxed out how many miles you are able/willing to do on other days, a longer long run is certainly worth a try. 2.5 hours isn't so long that it should be hard to recover from or an injury risk if you're already hitting 2+ hours on the runs that are <13 miles.

LRB

It would depend on where I am in the training. If the race is months away then roughly around 16 miles which could be as much as 40 minutes longer (or more!) than total race time depending on how awful my pace is. My last one or two runs are usually around 14 miles with a fast finish, and those are still much slower than estimated race time.

The only time I ever ran "long" for a shorter duration than the total race time for a half was my first. That run was 8 miles. 

The only time I would consider it is if an injury was at play.

DavePNW

What would be total weekly peak mileage? I guess there’s still the rule of thumb that LR should not be more than 25-30% of weekly mileage, or some such thing.

Dave

sdWhiskers

I've had 14-15 max, so close to 2:30 when I'm running a HM around 2. That's with 40-45 mpw. I think it helps me mentally for sure. I assume physically also?

Half Crazy K 2.0

What would be total weekly peak mileage? I guess there’s still the rule of thumb that LR should not be more than 25-30% of weekly mileage, or some such thing.

Not sure. Probably upper 30s at most, but would depend on if I do 4 or 5 days. I pretty much ignore the long run rule. One of my stronger halfs my long run was usually at least 50% of my mileage, probably more. What I have found for myself is when I do more long runs, I do better with halfs. I had been doing Friday/Sunday, but was playing around with the back to back because it gets me outside on both weekend days which is nice during daylight savings time.

LRB

Not sure. Probably upper 30s at most, but would depend on if I do 4 or 5 days. I pretty much ignore the long run rule. One of my stronger halfs my long run was usually at least 50% of my mileage, probably more. What I have found for myself is when I do more long runs, I do better with halfs. I had been doing Friday/Sunday, but was playing around with the back to back because it gets me outside on both weekend days which is nice during daylight savings time.

You could always bump up the mileage the week of your long run to get the benefit of running with the heaviest legs possible, then return to the 30s the following week.

onemile

You could always bump up the mileage the week of your long run to get the benefit of running with the heaviest legs possible, then return to the 30s the following week.

is that a benefit?

Baboon

delicate flower

The company’s level of incompetence I’d say slightly exceeds their willingness to screw people over, so I’m gonna guess they just didn’t realize it. But could go either way.

No doubt it's incompetence, but I'd wonder where in their workflow this problem would exist.  In our system, your PTO balance doesn't go down until the time off hits your paycheck.  When someone terminates, we look at that PTO balance and pay it out.  Error rate = 0%.

<3

DavePNW

No doubt it's incompetence, but I'd wonder where in their workflow this problem would exist.  In our system, your PTO balance doesn't go down until the time off hits your paycheck.  When someone terminates, we look at that PTO balance and pay it out.  Error rate = 0%.

Presumably they checked on Friday before I was officially terminated in the system, and that vacation time was still booked. Then once I was terminated, that vacation-to-be showed as “cancelled”, and those hours went back to the balance. But yeah it’s weird that the vacation not yet taken was already deducted from my balance at any time. Seems like it should be as straightforward as you stated.

Dave

DavePNW

is that a benefit?

Who knows, but it makes it so much more enjoyable! 

Dave

onemile

Who knows, but it makes it so much mor enjoyable! 

for sure. living the life right now. 

LRB

is that a benefit?

Running long with heavy legs should lead to racing with light ones, sort of like a baseball player taking swings with a weighted ring on his bat before stepping to the plate. Maybe we should just run with ankle weights then. 

GinnyinPA

I ran 13.

For a half I'd run at least 14-15, simply because it makes the 13 feel so much easier than when only running 11.

Dave - how many people got downsized? My husband got caught in one several years ago where his entire working group was let go, and company-wide there were thousands. It raises the probability of errors.