Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #230 (Read 27 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ragnar Great Midwest canceled this year allowing deferral to next year or another ragnar event..except they are not having a Ragnar midwest next year (or maybe ever again, not sure).  so the 1500 paid for the event can only be transferred to an event that is in another state and would require travel for everyone on the team.  our team captain called and tried to argue for a refund but his request was denied.

That is unfair. I understand when smaller races cannot give a refund but the bigger companies like RnR, Ragnar, etc. should at least make an effort.

Damaris

30 min pool mix getting bored with them

DavePNW

But at a certain point, if you aren't offering what people signed up for, you have to offer refunds. 

I would hope. They are probably within their rights based on the T&C’s you agree to (but don’t read) when you register. But they’ve gotta decide when it becomes a PR issue. I suppose if everyone is doing it, they’re more likely to get away with it. But if some race organizations have more generous policies, people will remember when it comes time to register for future races. Maybe. Also despite the fact they seem to have all our money and we’re getting nothing out of it, they’re all taking a huge financial bath right now. Everybody loses.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I bet they will push for virtuals for all events in 2021 and yeah, you lost that extra money, in addition to the registration.

I seriously don't think I could or would want to run my first 60k solo or "virtual"... seriously... 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

KCRuns

3 sucky miles in the middle of the day.  It's in the 70s, but only 45% humidity and breezy.  The first mile or so was actually pleasant, but then I hit full sun and remembered why I don't like to run midday.

Baboon

delicate flower

I just got back from a six mile run in the rain.  It was not raining when the run started, but it began and a mile in and was heavy the rest of the run.  We're in a mild drought and badly need the rain.  It was awesome to run in it, not to mention how refreshingly cool it was after an onslaught of 95 degree days this month. 

<3

DavePNW

Also from RnR, an update on Seattle. This was supposed to be in June, then postponed to "sometime in the fall". Now they are saying it cannot happen in 2020, and will return on the normal date in June 2021. But only as a half. Nothing further other than those who are registered should have received an email. I guess if you registered for the full, you're screwed. I assume it'll be the same deal HCK saw where you can use the registration towards one of their races elsewhere in the country.

Dave

sdWhiskers

Also from RnR, an update on Seattle. This was supposed to be in June, then postponed to "sometime in the fall". Now they are saying it cannot happen in 2020, and will return on the normal date in June 2021. But only as a half. Nothing further other than those who are registered should have received an email. I guess if you registered for the full, you're screwed. I assume it'll be the same deal HCK saw where you can use the registration towards one of their races elsewhere in the country.

I was signed up for the San Diego full--I received 2 emails, one says pick one of the other marathons (San Diego 2021, Nashville, Savannah or San Antonio), the other says you can pick a marathon or half instead (DC, Seattle, VA, San Jose). There's basically only 1 choice that doesn't involve an airplane. I'm wondering if I choose San Diego full in June, will that just turn into virtual by the spring? or get postponed further.

I'm actually halfway considering taking the virtual option in mid Dec. Would give me more motivation over the next few months. I'm sure I could get Coach and/or RP to assist with some part. I'd rather not have this drag on for years.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Short walk & upper body strength training.

I figure this R&R deferal BS will drag on for some time.

DavePNW

I was signed up for the San Diego full--I received 2 emails, one says pick one of the other marathons (San Diego 2021, Nashville, Savannah or San Antonio), the other says you can pick a marathon or half instead (DC, Seattle, VA, San Jose). There's basically only 1 choice that doesn't involve an airplane. I'm wondering if I choose San Diego full in June, will that just turn into virtual by the spring? or get postponed further.

I'm actually halfway considering taking the virtual option in mid Dec. Would give me more motivation over the next few months. I'm sure I could get Coach and/or RP to assist with some part. I'd rather not have this drag on for years.

Yeah anything of any size, in June 2021, seems doubtful to me. Plus for Seattle they cancelled the full and it’s half-only, so I suppose SD could do that too. 

I still can’t wrap my head around anything virtual, I remain in the “wait till races are real again” mode. But who knows, that could change as things keep dragging.

Dave

sdWhiskers

I still can’t wrap my head around anything virtual, I remain in the “wait till races are real again” mode. But who knows, that could change as things keep dragging.

But when else do you get the chance to pay $200 to run by yourself??

DavePNW

But when else do you get the chance to pay $200 to run by yourself??

Oh stop, the temptation is irresistible!

Dave

Cyberic

Why would someone pay for a virtual race, I do not get it. I respect people with different opinions than mine, and people can do whatever they want with their money, but I don't see why you don't just keep your money and do a time trial. It's the exact same thing, and absolutely free.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Why would someone pay for a virtual race, I do not get it. I respect people with different opinions than mine, and people can do whatever they want with their money, but I don't see why you don't just keep your money and do a time trial. It's the exact same thing, and absolutely free.

+1

Damaris

sdWhiskers

Oh I agree. But in this case, I've already paid the money and they seemingly won't give it back.