Beginners and Beyond

Ray of Sunshine MonDAILIES (Read 34 times)

onemile

OneMile - I go through a couple of audio books a week.

What kind of books do you like?

I'm mostly fiction - and more mystery than other.

I did read the Goldfinch (I should say, I got through the Goldfinch)

I've read the Girl on the Train (liked it), Gone Girl (liked it), A lot of Lee Child (Jack Reacher), and David Baldachi, as well as Steven King.

Just finished the first three books in the Cormoran Strike Series by  Robert Galbraith (ne:  J K Rawling) and they keep you interested.

It's hard for me to describe the kind of book I like.

I LIKED the Goldfinch a lot.

The Girl on the Train was okay. I saw the movie Gone Girl - it was also just okay. I guess I would not say that 'mystery' is the kind of book I typically like.  Or Stephen King.  Or JK Rowling. I am more of a Jodi Picoult, Anne Tyler type...

I liked Orphan Train.  The Life We Bury.  The Girl Who Slept with God.  All the Light We Cannot See is my current book (almost done) and it is just okay to me (a little bit sleepy)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Well I am feeling good again, like I could possibly do an easy 3 miler tomorrow morning. I've got 3 planned tomorrow evening with Jetta and Dorian.

....This is weird.... after the 2014 IMM I didn't want to really more or think about running for weeks, after this last March and the LBLM.. I was feeling really good a few days later... now I am feeling pretty damn good even though I got my ass kicked 2 days ago.

Is that weird?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I saw the X-men, finally ffs. I'm not sure what all the bellyaching is about. It's a solid flick, long but it moves. I liked it.

My favorite line came from Magneto when he turned and said, "Who the fuck are you?" lol

LOL.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well I am feeling good again, like I could possibly do an easy 3 miler tomorrow morning. I've got 3 planned tomorrow evening with Jetta and Dorian.

....This is weird.... after the 2014 IMM I didn't want to really more or think about running for weeks, after this last March and the LBLM.. I was feeling really good a few days later... now I am feeling pretty damn good even though I got my ass kicked 2 days ago.

Is that weird?

Not weird.  I find I recover quicker from trail stuff than road marathons so not surprising you are recovering better than IMM.  Also, more miles and time on your feet since LBLM have helped you (that or better pacing).

Damaris

LRB

Is that weird?

Who the hell knows, there is no rhyme or reason to post-marathon soreness or lack thereof. The prevailing thought is if you're not sore you didn't race hard enough, but there is so much going on at the cellular level that that thought is just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Basically if comes down to one or two things, if you feel great, great. If you're sore great. Either way, run whenever you want to. That's all any of us do.

Zelanie

Zelanie, any more audio book recommendations?

Cloud Atlas.  It is long and complicated, but also really fun

The Orphan Train was good.

Did you like The Girl in the Dragon Tattoo books, or were they too mysterey-ey for you?  I liked the new one.

Zelanie

Weights and 4.8 easy miles.

Zelanie, what happened to the bye week?!

Sorry.  Eric and the admins preferred to make a position round.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

True on both levels Damaris and LRB.

But I do need some advice, although I am feeling pretty good, I wonder if it would be smart to take it real easy this week and next week before starting my training for the Mark Twain Endurance 50.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

But I do need some advice, although I am feeling pretty good, I wonder if it would be smart to take it real easy this week and next week before starting my training for the Mark Twain Endurance 50.

In my two marathons, I started feeling good about two weeks after, but started training too hard too fast. Nothing to get hurt, but just not ready physically and mentally. It takes me a while. But if you feel good, and feel like training right now, why not? If you feel like changing your mind in a few weeks and decide to take it easy just then, why not?

DavePNW

Even if you feel good, you might stick with nothing but short easy runs for 2-3 weeks. My 2 cents.

Dave

onemile

I have never recovered quickly from a marathon.  Therefore, anyone who recovers quickly did not run hard enough.  

onemile

Cloud Atlas.  It is long and complicated, but also really fun

The Orphan Train was good.

Did you like The Girl in the Dragon Tattoo books, or were they too mysterey-ey for you?  I liked the new one.

I have not read/listened to those.  It's not that I dislike mystery... it's more that I prefer books that focus on character development and growth more than a focus on plot.   I'll check out Cloud Atlas. Thanks.

Zelanie

I gotcha.  Just trying to get a feel for your taste so I know what to recommend. I think you will like Cloud Atlas, but give it some time. My first reaction was more like WTF.

I am catching up on podcasts but will get The Life We Bury.

onemile

I gotcha.  Just trying to get a feel for your taste so I know what to recommend. I think you will like Cloud Atlas, but give it some time. My first reaction was more like WTF.

I am catching up on podcasts but will get The Life We Bury.

I liked The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. That is sort of a mystery.

onemile

Looking at my Library I see I have one that I bought in March but didn't listen to yet - The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain.