Beginners and Beyond

Sadurdailies (Read 37 times)

LRB

I was trying to decide if I should test mine out on the 20 miler today or wait til a workout run next weekend. Or maybe both. The problem is if I wanna test it then I need to figure out water.

What would you drink if you didn't take them?

onemile

What would you drink if you didn't take them?

nothing. I don't usually drink anything on training runs in the winter.  Even the easy 22 miler.

Half Crazy K 2.0

The fact that they "taste" like salt will be an interesting dynamic, seeing as how my brain has an aversion to sugar at anything over 90 minutes of running.

Oh yum, gelantinous salt while running. 

onemile

I actually thought they were supposed to taste sweet but flavorless. Like sugar water.  I guess I'll find out.

Baboon

delicate flower

'Morning.  I ran 5 easy miles at the TRACK...not just any track, but a freshly resurfaced track.  That school needed it!  My legs were tired and I went easy.  I'll be working later, but at least I can do it from home.

HCK, sorry about the loss of your father-in-law.  Sad

<3

LRB

nothing. I don't usually drink anything on training runs in the winter.  Even the easy 22 miler.

Wow, super impressed. Not that I couldn't do it, I just don't. Won't help today but the next time you're in a health place like GNC or the like, they usually have some kind of amino acids or some other magic potion in 4 ounce plastic bottles with a screw top. I dump that out and carry two of those in a pouch. Works like a charm. Been doing it for years.

But to the topic, I thought the whole idea with Maurten gels was that you didn't need water. I must've misunderstood that.

LRB

I actually thought they were supposed to taste sweet but flavorless. Like sugar water.  I guess I'll find out.

Could be. The kid was a kid. Maybe that was his impression.

onemile

Actually now that I look on the map, based on where URP wants to start today's run (he picked a new spot along the trail that I wasn't really sure how far that was from where we usually start), I can just leave some water in my car and we can run both directions on the trail (5 miles out and back and then stop at the car and then 5 out and back the other direction).

Baboon

delicate flower

Also, I stopped at Starbucks for my Americano, and when I got to the car the cup was dripping, which happens sometimes, but this leak was coming from the side of the cup.  Ahhh!  I had to run back inside to get a new cup and the leak got worse as I got closer to the counter.  My hand was soaked with coffee.  The barista offered me a new drink but I just needed another cup.  lmao exciting stuff, I know, but how often does the side of the cup spring a leak??

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

'Morning.  I ran 5 easy miles at the TRACK...not just any track, but a freshly resurfaced track.  That school needed it!  My legs were tired and I went easy.  I'll be working later, but at least I can do it from home.

That sounds amazing! The local HS track is in desperate need of resurfacing, there are big chunks missing. They raised the money to replace the grass field with a fake field, but guess it was't enough to also redo the track. The downside of the new field is that now it seems every rec league gets to play on the fancy field, so the track is way busier than it ever was, not with people actually running on the track, but with little kids darting around and clueless parents deciding the bleachers aren;t good enough for them.

onemile

But to the topic, I thought the whole idea with Maurten gels was that you didn't need water. I must've misunderstood that.

I just googled it and you're right

LRB

The thought of tasting a chocolate flavored gel sounds wonderful until you're out there running for 2 hours and have to choke it down, so maybe this will be the opposite.

LRB

Baboon

delicate flower

That sounds amazing! The local HS track is in desperate need of resurfacing, there are big chunks missing. They raised the money to replace the grass field with a fake field, but guess it was't enough to also redo the track. The downside of the new field is that now it seems every rec league gets to play on the fancy field, so the track is way busier than it ever was, not with people actually running on the track, but with little kids darting around and clueless parents deciding the bleachers aren;t good enough for them.

Yeah, it was pretty sweet.  Only one other person this morning, walking on this inside lane.  I took lane seven.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

The thought of tasting a chocolate flavored gel sounds wonderful until you're out there running for 2 hours and have to choke it down, so maybe this will be the opposite.

The chocolate didn't bother me. I gagged on strawberry banana on a busy corner.  It was awful.