Beginners and Beyond

ThursDailies (Read 41 times)

sdWhiskers

SRD. I typically run 5 days a week: Sat and Sun, then 3 days between Mon-Th depending on DH's work schedule. This week just worked out to have Th and Fr off so I'll take it! I almost never do back to back rest days but with having this head cold still lingering a bit, this could be good.

Brrrr it's freezing outside! Just kidding. Mid 50s now, high of 70s. I sent DS to school in shorts like usual.

Over the holidays, we were Skyping with my MIL who lives in Maine and she was showing my son the snow outside when the snow plow went by. He had no freaking clue what that thing was  

DavePNW

Karma can be cruel Dave.   Your day of reckoning will come...

Yes. It's called the Cascadia Subduction Zone.

Dave

oldfartrunner

Yes. It's called the Cascadia Subduction Zone.

That sounds like a new way to suck body fat out?

RunningOnSand

Blue, today is a day to spend in a neighborhood bar.

Where everybody knows your name.

Cyberic

Ran 12

RunningOnSand

SRD. I typically run 5 days a week: Sat and Sun, then 3 days between Mon-Th depending on DH's work schedule. This week just worked out to have Th and Fr off so I'll take it! I almost never do back to back rest days but with having this head cold still lingering a bit, this could be good.

Brrrr it's freezing outside! Just kidding. Mid 50s now, high of 70s. I sent DS to school in shorts like usual.

Over the holidays, we were Skyping with my MIL who lives in Maine and she was showing my son the snow outside when the snow plow went by. He had no freaking clue what that thing was  

I'm looking forward to the spring when I can do this with my kids, too. Right now it takes a solid 5 minutes (or more) to get everyone's snow gear on, plus the dog's booties. It was -8F when my kids got on the bus this morning. Supposedly the same "feels like" temp as there's no wind. I call bullshit. I always gauge how cold it is based off how quickly my fingers & toes start to burn & freeze (inside boots & mittens). This morning it was fast!

But for everyone out East, stay safe. 

SRD today...got a great night of sleep, am still feeling a bit off, but not as achey as yesterday. RHR is still elevated this morning, so I guess I'm still fighting off something.

KCRuns

I hate to say this out loud and jinx myself, but it's kind of a slow day here.  I'm wondering how early is too early to go to the gym.  If I go now, something could come in that needs to be done before lunch.  I think if I can hold out until about 11-1115a or so, then I can go and not have to keep an eye on my email.  Hmmmm

Cyberic

For some reason Montreal will be spared (supposedly) from the most part of the snow. We're supposed to get 3-4 inches. Then, the cold is supposed to come back, because today is the 2nd day in a row with temps above 0.

This winter is something else, I tell ya. Temps are like when I was a kid, living 300 miles north of Montreal.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Haha!  Or he could fill all the pots and buckets in the house with hot water.  Bucket baths can be fun when there is no running water.

We know about those coming from PR and hurricanes (Maria is a big example).  So, no.  We'll pass, ha.

Damaris

DavePNW

Temps are like when I was a kid, living 300 miles north of Montreal.

Holy crap, where's that? I didn't think there was any civilization in Quebec north of the St. Lawrence, especially that far.

Dave

onemile

We have gotten barely any snow this winter, just frigid temps, and it looks like that is going to continue as it warms up on Sunday

Cyberic

Holy crap, where's that? I didn't think there was any civilization in Quebec north of the St. Lawrence, especially that far.

Chicoutimi, by the Saguenay river. Born and raised up there. 300 miles is by road. It's not a true 300 miles on a map, but I'm thinking at least 200. Probably more.

DavePNW

Chicoutimi, by the Saguenay river. Born and raised up there. 300 miles is by road. It's not a true 300 miles on a map, but I'm thinking at least 200. Probably more.

I figured it must be near there, it's basically the only dot I can see on the map that's not on the St. Lawrence. Does that make you almost a Newfie?  A lot of desolate wasteland north of there... I'm actually reading a book about English explorers in the 19th century and their expeditions searching for the Northwest Passage. Those were some pretty friggin brutal journeys through the Canadian arctic, with the technology of the day. Some unbelievable stories.

Dave

GinnyinPA

Dave - is that one of the Farley Mowat books?  He did 3 really good ones about Arctic exploration.

Here in south-central PA, the snow missed us entirely, again. However, the winds are blowing the remnants of last weekend's snow across clear streets and driveways. The current feels like temp. is 4. Tomorrow it drops to -9, which is colder than I've seen in a very long time. Fortunately, Friday will be a rest day. I've only got a short run today, so I'll probably do it outside.

Cyberic

I figured it must be near there, it's basically the only dot I can see on the map that's not on the St. Lawrence. Does that make you almost a Newfie?  A lot of desolate wasteland north of there... I'm actually reading a book about English explorers in the 19th century and their expeditions searching for the Northwest Passage. Those were some pretty friggin brutal journeys through the Canadian arctic, with the technology of the day. Some unbelievable stories.

Newfies are people living in Newfoundland. So nope, I might be dumb, but not a Newfie.

It must have been incredibly rough in the 1800s for those explorers.

There's a serie on Netflix about the fur trade in northern Quebec. Of course it's a tale trying to compete with Vikings and other series like that, not a documentary about exploration, but a fiction about clan wars, but I found it pretty good. It's called Frontier.