Beginners and Beyond

ThursDailies (Read 41 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Sadly Boukreev died on Annapurna a year or two later. I believe the American Alpine Club honored him with its highest award for valor.

I forgot about that - gosh, it was 17 or 18 years ago since I read those books.  Thanks for reminding me.  Boukreev was a great loss to the community.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Being indecisive is the worst.  I can’t decide whether to run inside or outside tomorrow...

Finished 3.85 outside tonight.  Very slow going - 11 min/mi pace at tempo effort.  Good heart pounding workout, but forget about pace if you go outside.  Bridges are empty so no crowds... or bikes. 

3/17 - NYC Half

onemile

Being indecisive is the worst.  I can’t decide whether to run inside or outside tomorrow...

I don't do running through snow. But I will run when it's very cold or icy (with spikes).

GC100k

That's why climbers (1) gradually acclimatize themselves, and (2) use supplemental oxygen.

Killian scoffs at (2).

Everest is a 5k color run, and K2 is Badwater. (Well maybe not quite, and I don't know jack about mountaineering, but you get the idea.)

I just watched a documentary on Netflix called The Summit, about the 2008 expedition on K2. Due to bad weather and a series of incidents, 11 people died out of 28. Overall, there has been about one death for every 4 who have summited.

I saw that. K2 is insaine

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Killian scoffs at (2).

After leading an expedition on Denali, which normally take 3-4 days to climb, Boukreev soloed the summit in about 10.5 hours. Denali, despite being "only" 20,300 feet, is often considered a tougher climb than many of the Himalayan peaks because of its proximity to the Arctic Circle and its severe weather.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bluerun

Super B****

Finished 3.85 outside tonight.  Very slow going - 11 min/mi pace at tempo effort.  Good heart pounding workout, but forget about pace if you go outside.  Bridges are empty so no crowds... or bikes. 

I’m not concerned with pace... I’m just terrified of falling and breaking something!  Hardly anyone shoveled so the sidewalks aren’t runnable, and the plows turned the streets into a slushy mess that will probably turn to black ice.  It will be too dark to see anything before it’s too late.  Wisest choice is to stay inside.  At least I’ll be warm?

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

bluerun

Super B****

I don't do running through snow. But I will run when it's very cold or icy (with spikes).

Trusting spikes on ice is not something I feel like I can do!!

chasing the impossible

Bert-o

I lost my rama

After leading an expedition on Denali, which normally take 3-4 days to climb, Boukreev soloed the summit in about 10.5 hours. Denali, despite being "only" 20,300 feet, is often considered a tougher climb than many of the Himalayan peaks because of its proximity to the Arctic Circle and its severe weather.

That's what I loved about him.  He was a quiet and humble workhorse who never sought out attention or glory despite his superhuman feats.

3/17 - NYC Half

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I’m not concerned with pace... I’m just terrified of falling and breaking something!  Hardly anyone shoveled so the sidewalks aren’t runnable, and the plows turned the streets into a slushy mess that will probably turn to black ice.  It will be too dark to see anything before it’s too late.  Wisest choice is to stay inside.  At least I’ll be warm?

It will only be a day or two before the sidewalks are clear and dry enough to run (will still have some slush spots, but not many).

As I passed a guy taking photos on the desolate Billyburg Bridge tonight, he took a pic of me and said "brave man".  Yes brave, s-t-u-p-i-d, brave. 

3/17 - NYC Half

GinnyinPA

I loved both the Everest books. I had read the original Outside article, so I didn't realize that Krakauer's story was flawed until I started reading some of the criticisms. He does write a compelling story.  After I read The Climb, I was reminded that telling a good story can get in the way of the truth. I have no desire to be a mountain climber, but I enjoy reading about it.

bluerun

Super B****

It will only be a day or two before the sidewalks are clear and dry enough to run (will still have some slush spots, but not many).

As I passed a guy taking photos on the desolate Billyburg Bridge tonight, he took a pic of me and said "brave man".  Yes brave, s-t-u-p-i-d, brave. 

I can only hope!  The park is okay (so I hear), but I’d have to get there in one piece first.  And apparently there are lots of tree limbs coming down, so ... AlterG it is.

Well, HE was on the bridge, no??  Pot.

chasing the impossible

Cyberic

I might run inside tomorrow as I need to go to the store (car) anyways. Haven't been working for the last two weeks and the car hasn't moved Smile  If I decide not to take the car to the store, then I will run outside in the snow. I will definitely not take the car just to get to a gym.

Maybe the amount of snow will help me decide Smile

I actually like running in winter conditions that most people find almost unconceivable. It strenghtens my mind toughness. Or maybe I'm just a lil' crazy. Or both.

DavePNW

Is the probability of breaking something any higher than it is for you under normal circumstances?

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am so behind,  but I read through, I think!

I thought Everest was based on a true story?  Anyway, that's not on my bucket list, but it would be amazing to do if it was easier to access. 

Damaris