Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES Has a question for the powers that be... (Read 62 times)

LRB

Well I "was" planning a 5 mile run after work today but.....Woke up to smoke and ash filled skies from the wildfire down in Tuolumne County. This is the worst I've seen it since moving here ten years ago.

Seems we have been overdue for that story this year, hope is fizzles out soon.

Daves_Not_Here

Seems we have been overdue for that story this year, hope is fizzles out soon.

I hope so too, but apparently the wildfire has "exploded" from 16,000 acres to 54,000 acres within the past 24 hours and is still out of control. This is not good at all.

http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/2218590/Rim-Fire-Grows-To-53866-Acres.html

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Be careful out there Dave, I couldn't imagine living in an area where there are wildfires annually........... DH's brother lives in California, around Lake Hughes or something like that, and earlier this year he lost 4 or 5 dogs in the fire, and his property was destroyed.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Daves_Not_Here

Be careful out there Dave...

Thank you. Will do. Smile

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

This day is perfect because I'm ALWAYS an angel Wink And I'm in Georgia the Peach State!!

Had a hill workout this morning.....which is fitting since all I've been running are hills this week, my grandma's neighborhood has nothing but!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning dailies.

Stay safe Dave.

I did an Easy 5 this morning. Sort of a cutback week, but I'm going to cap it off Saturday by doing a time-trial 5k. My training plan calls for a 5k-10k race, and since I recently completed a 10k I thought why not a 5k. Well there isn't anything close to me, so I'll just do it via the Garmin. It should be pretty accurate. Smile My last 5k is from Saint Patrick's day of this year, so about 5 months old. I've gone through 1.5 training cycles and am down about 10 lbs since then so I'm expecting pretty good results.

Have a great day everyone!

- Andrew

LRB

Sort of a cutback week, but I'm going to cap it off Saturday by doing a time-trial 5k.

For me, time trials prove to be a mental abomination.  It is so hard to crank out and hold the intensity needed sometimes during training so whatever time you end up with, you likely can go faster during an event.

Can't wait to read about it!

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Happy Thursday folks, SRD for me. Got some great news yesterday. The group beer run I've been doing all summer has been made into a year-long event. There was much rejoicing in the Hobbit house.

meaghansketch

Hi Dailies!

LRB- Thanks for starting us off!  Nice miles.

Beth- Nice swimming and running!  Good luck on the tri.

Mitch- Good luck with the checkup!

Hi Oski!

Shari- Nice miles, too bad they were cut short but it's always smart to avoid running in lightning

Scotty- Big grin

Damaris- "only" 10?  Great to finish at HM pace and feel strong!

Phil- Enjoy the day off!

Basya- Glad you feel better!  Enjoy your run!

Zelanie- Enjoy your run!

FreeSoul- MMMMmmm, enjoy the coffee!  I love peppermint.  Hope you are feeling better after your scary encounter with the car yesterday.  I never got a chance to respond in yesterday's thread, but it sounded really scary.

Dave- Yes, please be careful.  I was hearing about that fire on the news.  Scary stuff.

Kristin- Enjoying your bounding?  Those hill workouts are great to build strength.

Andrew- Good luck with your time trial!  Those are always tough for me.

HobbitLegs- Woohoo!  Enjoy your beer runs!

8 miles for me this AM with 4.5 @ tempo pace.  This morning was super muggy and I went out too hard over the first few miles and paid for it in the last 2.  My pace was not at all consistent but it was at least somewhere near the ballpark of where it was supposed to be.  There was an 8:20 in there (target was 8:00) but it was mostly uphill so I'm counting it as close enough.  I was planning on a double tonight on the treadmill but think I'll cancel it.  The repair guys are supposed to be coming to my apartment tomorrow and since they're going to replace the closets (or they're supposed to, anyway) I need to empty out all my closets, cupboards and pantry tonight.

Cleaning- the most fun cross-training! AngryAngryAngryAngry

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Feeling good and alive (thank the running gods), tired but good. Dorian is beginning his emotional rollercoaster and extreme abandonment fears lol....  Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

AFM:  Was planning on running at the university campus after work, but I forgot to put my knee brace into my gear bag, arrrgggh!   So I went home after work, changed, and went over to the local park to get some miles in.  Ran at 5 PM, temp was 95 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of 98, but the humidity was pretty low at 45%.  I ran on nice, shady trails in the park and felt really good.  Got in 3.1 miles.  Today I did remember to pack my knee brace, so will run after work again.  It will be 'nice' again today, at only 95, with a 'real feel' of only 96.   Plan on doing a bit of hill work today - but maybe not, as my 5K on Sunday is hilly, so that could be my hillwork for the week - either at the university campus or at a local park. There is a possibility of rain-storms at 5 PM.  I leave work at 4 PM, so hopefully I can get my run in before the storms move in.  If not, well, it might be quite refreshing to get rained on for a bit.

Well, LRB, I guess you're just gonna have to settle for the 'prosthesis'

Congrats on your awesome run this morning!   I cannot believe I am running in so little compared to years past.  Well, sounds like you're now ready to try one of those Bare Buns 5Ks.... Joking

Dang, Beth, you can swim 1,500 meters?  That's 1,499 more meters than I can swim!  Good luck with your swim today and then your following run.   What do you do, have someone drop you off at the lake, then just swim, get out of the lake, and run right home?  Where do you stow your running shoes, etc., while you're swimming?

Good news, Mitch!  Ugg, that reminds me...I am due for my colonoscopy this year.(every 4 years for me)..gotta get that scheduled.

Happy Thursday, Oski, hope you are feeling better!

Congrats on your miles, Step.  Probably sensible, cutting the run a bit short, lightning is nothing to mess with.

Happy rest day and cut-back week, Marjorie!

Wow, you must have gotten up really early to get 10 miles in, Damaris!  Way to go!

Nice running, Phil, you have earned some splurge time at the picnic.  Enjoy!

Glad you are feeling better, Basya.  Good luck with the progression (?) run....especially on a TM, you must have a lot of patience.   Just internet searches is how I find all this stuff. Crazy what you can find out there.  And sometimes scary, the stuff that's out there.

Have fun with the group, Zelanie!

Happy walking, FreeSoul. Coffee, ugggg.....Gail loves the stuff and when we stop at Starbucks, she goes in by herself cuz I can't stand the smell in there.

Ugg,that sucks Dave..smoke, etc....sorry to hear that.  Stay safe!

You certainly LOOK like an angel, Kristin! Big grin  Careful doing too much hill work, could result in some nasty ITB stuff. No flat-area parks, etc.,  there that you can drive to a couple times a week?

Happy cut-back week, Andrew, and good luck with your upcoming time-trial 5K!

Good luck with the closet-cleaning, etc, Meaghan!  Sounds like so much fun.... Roll eyes

Happy SRD, Hobbit.  All year-round beer run?  Don't you have 'real' winter where you are?  That might get a bit chilly...and then followed by frozen beer.... Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Will run for scenery.

Last night I fired up the propane torch and took care of my toes.  The torch is to get a paper clip red hot, the paper clip is to melt a hole through the nail to relieve pressure.  Sounds pretty gnarly, huh ?  TBH, it's not so bad.

I decided against going to the doctor.  More laziness than stubbornness.  They do look like they've "rounded the corner" to recovery and after draining them, they are back to their normal color.  I just hope the old nails stay in place for a while as the new nails grown in underneath them.  I've got a race in 3 weeks that I want to train for !

Finally got a RR posted from Pike's Peak Marathon.  Take a look !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Last night I fired up the propane torch and took care of my toes.  The torch is to get a paper clip red hot, the paper clip is to melt a hole through the nail to relieve pressure.  Sounds pretty gnarly, huh ?  TBH, it's not so bad.

I decided against going to the doctor.  More laziness than stubbornness.  They do look like they've "rounded the corner" to recovery and after draining them, they are back to their normal color.  I just hope the old nails stay in place for a while as the new nails grown in underneath them.  I've got a race in 3 weeks that I want to train for !

Sounds like something you see one of those old-time movies, JJ...Vikings cauterizing their wounds with hot blades, etc.   Maybe you should change your name to "Rambo!"   Wink  Well, happy healing to you!  Hope it goes the way you want it to!

Looking forward to reading your report.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

The repair guys are supposed to be coming to my apartment tomorrow and since they're going to replace the closets (or they're supposed to, anyway) I need to empty out all my closets, cupboards and pantry tonight.

There is too much uncertainty there sister girl to be canceling a for sure run!

Scotty, I will take the beer, but pass on the bare buns run.  I like my buns laying next to me, not running past me lol!

jjs22, that sounds painful even though it is not.  I am behind on race reports but hopefully will catch up today!

I noticed while out shopping today that fall and winter gear is arriving in stores.  That is both good news and bad news in that the summer stuff will soon be on clearance, but summer soon will be too.

StepbyStep-SH

My stomach clenched just reading that. Tight lips Glad it worked, but ...

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.