Beginners and Beyond

The calm before the Saturdailies (Read 28 times)

DavePNW

On the flip side, I actually sent an email to the RD of last weekend's HM complaining about the ~13.3 mile distance. I was nice about it, said it was a good day for me, and mentioned a few good things about the race organization. He responded that the course was certified and measured via USATF process, and GPS is inaccurate. I understand all that but thought it was still unusual to be that far off. I talked to a bunch of other people whose Garmins said the same thing. IDK.

I also complained about the fact that there were no portapotties at the start. WTF? It started at a HS, there was a bathroom open inside but it was not nearly sufficient. That is pretty much a dealbreaker for me. His response was that the locker room was also open, but they apparently didn't get the word out. OK then. One guy I had asked about portapotties said there were some on the course. 

Dave

DavePNW

That really sux.  FFS, there are really only two things an RD needs to provide - an accurate course, and a safe venue.

Everything else is gravy.

And portapotties.

I would also add a well-marked course - not always a given.

Dave

DavePNW

When your long run for the week is also your quickest paced run, is that an indication that you're running your long runs too fast?

Does it feel like normal LR effort, but just ending up faster? If so, that typically suggests you're not running your workouts hard enough, or you're not running enough mileage. But I doubt either of those things is the case; running is a funny thing so it may mean nothing.

Dave

LRB

On the flip side, I actually sent an email to the RD of last weekend's HM complaining about the ~13.3 mile distance. I was nice about it, said it was a good day for me, and mentioned a few good things about the race organization. He responded that the course was certified and measured via USATF process, and GPS is inaccurate. I understand all that but thought it was still unusual to be that far off. I talked to a bunch of other people whose Garmins said the same thing. IDK.

Were there rolling hills on the course? That can affect satellite accuracy.

Cyberic

When your long run for the week is also your quickest paced run, is that an indication that you're running your long runs too fast?

I guess it depends what you're going for. Some like their long runs LSD, and some like to have them more dynamic. At faster easy pace, or fast finish, or with some MP miles thrown in. Those types of long runs can yield a pretty fast average pace.

And if you run your interval days hard but with the wu and cooldown and recovery parts truly slow, and your easy days in between at a true easy pace, then yeah, your long run would be your fastest run of the week, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Simply my opinion.

DavePNW

Were there rolling hills on the course? That can affect satellite accuracy.

Nope. And not an excessive amount of turns or tree cover, two other things I'd guess would be a factor.

Also BTW, I must be nearing the end of this thing because I was thinking I had 5 today, and was kind of pissed off when I saw I actually have 6. LOL, 20 tomorrow. 

Dave

LRB

I gave up doing the LSD run after my first marathon. That shit is fucking awful. YMMV...literally.

DavePNW

I guess it depends what you're going for. Some like their long runs LSD, and some like to have them more dynamic. At faster easy pace, or fast finish, or with some MP miles thrown in. Those types of long runs can yield a pretty fast average pace.

And if you run your interval days hard but with the wu and cooldown and recovery parts truly slow, and your easy days in between at a true easy pace, then yeah, your long run would be your fastest run of the week, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Simply my opinion.

Yeah this makes sense, and looking back at my calendar I've had this.

Dave

DavePNW

I gave up doing the LSD run after my first marathon. That shit is fucking awful. YMMV

When my LR is extra-slow, it is more by necessity than choice. And usually fucking awful.

Dave

delicate flower

On the flip side, I actually sent an email to the RD of last weekend's HM complaining about the ~13.3 mile distance.

This is one place where Strava comes in real handy.  You "ran with" six other people that day.  They all have either 13.2 or 13.3 miles.  If it was just your GPS, the rest of those folks would have 13.1 miles.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That sucks, HC.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This is one place where Strava comes in real handy.  You "ran with" six other people that day.  They all have either 13.2 or 13.3 miles.  If it was just your GPS, the rest of those folks would have 13.1 miles.

I have never run a certified HM in 13.1.  Most are 13.2-13.3.

Damaris

Cyberic

I once heard, don't remember where, that a certified course guarantees you ran at least the distance, and to make sure, the measurers add a 0.1% or something similar in case a runner cuts corners or to forgive a measurement error.

If that is true, then all certified courses are intentionnally measured a tad long.

MTA: I know a guy who measures courses for big races. I'll ask him when I get the chance.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You are correct.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Closest I've come to 13.1 on a certified course was Atlantic City.  I think it was still like 13.18 or something. There's only 4 turns on the course. Baltimore was usually closer to 13.3.

Strava definitely comes in handy. I checked it for the last "5k" I did (not today's) and the others were also short.

I totally get shortening courses for safety/weather issues (like last year, same weekend, the 1 small road that would have made the .1 was flooded to the point ducks were swimming on it). But not giving good directions or not measuring, ugh. I don't put a lot of stock in certified courses, cause I've had those come up plenty short too. Just cause they got it certified doesn't mean they put the markers in the correct spot on race day.