Beginners and Beyond

The calm before the Saturdailies (Read 28 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

9 with 10 X 100m done.

Damaris

Cyberic

Just cause they got it certified doesn't mean they put the markers in the correct spot on race day.

Exactly. What's the use of having an exactly measured course if the runners are not sure where to turn to stay on the course?

No more marathons

I guess it depends what you're going for. Some like their long runs LSD, and some like to have them more dynamic. At faster easy pace, or fast finish, or with some MP miles thrown in. Those types of long runs can yield a pretty fast average pace.

And if you run your interval days hard but with the wu and cooldown and recovery parts truly slow, and your easy days in between at a true easy pace, then yeah, your long run would be your fastest run of the week, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Simply my opinion.

Yeah, that seems right.

Weekly "quality" runs (tempo, fartlek, interval) tend to be overall average faster, unless there is lots of short fast intervals followed by really slow recovery - which is what I had on Thursday.  My long runs (and remember, my long run is in the 10 to 13 mile range) tend to be about the same pace as my "regular" weekday runs, but mainly because I usually push the pace the last few miles.

Today's long(ish) run turned out to be my quickest paced LR since Oct  2015.  So maybe I'm just getting fitter.  Smile

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

DavePNW

Yes, yes, I know they're not going to be 13.1. But 13.3 seems excessive based on my experience. I looked at all the other ones I've run, and one was 13.29, but otherwise the longest was about 13.2. IDK which ones were certified, but some were.

Anyway, "ran" 6 miles, slow AF.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Exactly. What's the use of having an exactly measured course if the runners are not sure where to turn to stay on the course?

There was one race (fortunately not one I did) where the cones for an out and back were placed about a block early.  So everyone ran the course was marked, but it was not based on the certification.

Cyberic

I asked by email the guy who measures racing courses, and he confirms the 0.1%

He says they measure the shortest tangent and add 1 metre for each kilometre as an error margin, not more. The guy is a legit source. He's measured, amongst others, the R&R Montreal marathon course, the Longueuil marathon course (what I'm running next week), ...

delicate flower

Speaking of 13.1, here is the HM I am doing next Saturday.  700' of elevation gain.  Bring it.

<3

DavePNW

Speaking of 13.1, here is the HM I am doing next Saturday.  700' of elevation gain.  Bring it.

F. T. S.

Dave

delicate flower

F. T. S.

Comparable to the run portion of the 70.3 I've got on June 4, so good training.

<3

DavePNW

I asked by email the guy who measures racing courses, and he confirms the 0.1%

He says they measure the shortest tangent and add 1 metre for each kilometre as an error margin, not more. The guy is a legit source. He's measured, amongst others, the R&R Montreal marathon course, the Longueuil marathon course (what I'm running next week), ...

That gets you to about 13.11 miles....

For a comparison, the difference between 13.1 and 13.3 is roughly like lane 1 vs lane 2 on the track.

Anyway, I'm done whining, if you run a half marathon, you've run a half marathon.

Dave

DavePNW

Comparable to the run portion of the 70.3 I've got on June 4, so good training.

F. all of that S.

Dave

LRB

I ran 6 then got a massage. I'm virtually useless at the moment.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That gets you to about 13.11 miles....

For a comparison, the difference between 13.1 and 13.3 is roughly like lane 1 vs lane 2 on the track.

Anyway, I'm done whining, if you run a half marathon, you've run a half marathon.

Yeah, but that counts you follow that same route they measured and you didn't weave at all.  The bigger the race, the more you'll weave for water or for runners/walkers in front of you.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

And I'll second Dave's FTS.

Damaris

onemile

When I ran Boston it measured 26.42. It's like no one can put up an accurate course. 

7 miles for me today