Beginners and Beyond

Useful Links (Read 182 times)

RSX

Age graded times give runners excuses. I know a guy in his mid 50s who will say he had a PR based on that. If I go sub 2 on a half I'm happy. If I don't chances are I made my B goal.

B-Plus

www.google.com for when you have a dumb ass question.

Hip Redux

www.lmgtfy.com  for when someone else has a dumb ass question.

Half Crazy K 2.0

At the bottom of this article, there is a chart of dewpoint & its effect on running.

Cyberic

At the bottom of this article, there is a chart of dewpoint & its effect on running.

I'll put this one up tonight. I also want to add a section on stretching / exercising.

Cyberic

I'll put this one up tonight. I also want to add a section on stretching / exercising.

Done. I added Coach jay's myrtl routine video and coach Jay's lunge warmup video in the new exrecises/stretches section

happylily

Maybe some links to different only running stores for shoes and apparel would be useful. And we could add and update coupon codes if they have them available. Places such as Running Warehouse, Holabirdsports, etc... I don't know many, unfortunately.

And for those looking for Canadian races, or very expensive for no reason running shoes, there is Running Room

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

Maybe some links to different only running stores for shoes and apparel would be useful. And we could add and update coupon codes if they have them available. Places such as Running Warehouse, Holabirdsports, etc... I don't know many, unfortunately.

And for those looking for Canadian races, or very expensive for no reason running shoes, there is Running Room

Lily, I was thinking about this post of yours, and posting about coupons and codes and all... annd I think it'd be best if those links and coupons were posted JIT (just in time) in the form of a standard post by whoever found them, instead of me updating the first post with the info, and having to remove it as it becomes obsolete.  Unless there's a simple way to do this that I'm not seeing...

happylily

Lily, I was thinking about this post of yours, and posting about coupons and codes and all... annd I think it'd be best if those links and coupons were posted JIT (just in time) in the form of a standard post by whoever found them, instead of me updating the first post with the info, and having to remove it as it becomes obsolete.  Unless there's a simple way to do this that I'm not seeing...

Yes, of course. I understand what you're saying... We'll do it like that.

And, just because it bugs me, I want to apologize for writing "different only running stores" when I meant "different online running stores". Sometimes, my mind wanders like that...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Zelanie

Running by color- article about pacing for your first HM or FM.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Age graded times give runners excuses. I know a guy in his mid 50s who will say he had a PR based on that. If I go sub 2 on a half I'm happy. If I don't chances are I made my B goal.

Which is just wrong.

Age grade isn't to give people a PR on what could have been. Its more about getting a performance level approximate based on established tip

ranked performances.

ie:

We have a regular Tuesday club race. I regularly beat one of my fellow runners by a significant time.  However! Based on him being 9 years my senior he beats me age/grade % but 1-3% more often than not.

What that tells me is that he is a better 53 yo racer than I am a 44 yo racer.   Ie: I need to work harder!

Cyberic

Which is just wrong.

Age grade isn't to give people a PR on what could have been. 

And why is that wrong? Mathematically, I understand what you're saying, but if it motivates some older people to compare their race times with their own time when they were younger using AG tables, it's fine with me. I mean, people find their motivation where they can.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

And why is that wrong? Mathematically, I understand what you're saying, but if it motivates some older people to compare their race times with their own time when they were younger using AG tables, it's fine with me. I mean, people find their motivation where they can.

The motivation is fine, even comparing your current time age graded to a 25 YOs current race time is fine.

But claiming a fictional PR based on what could have been is a lie.  Until you do that time it isn't true. If you are a late runner (me) for example, I can speculate and wish but it would a flat lie to call an age graded 15:30 5k as my 5k PR. Unless of course I actually ran it/ run it.

Cyberic

But claiming a fictional PR based on what could have been is a lie.  Until you do that time it isn't true. If you are a late runner (me) for example, I can speculate and wish but it would a flat lie to call an age graded 15:30 5k as my 5k PR. Unless of course I actually ran it/ run it.

Ok, it's the claiming part I wasn't getting. I will not claim that my marathon time is 3:00:11. That is wrong. I agree 100%.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The motivation is fine, even comparing your current time age graded to a 25 YOs current race time is fine.

True, but I can use age graded times to claim my 2:17.2 800m (2:03.6 AG equivalent) at age 46 is a significantly better effort than my 2:07.2 880 yd (2:06.4 800m equivalent) at age 22.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.