Beginners and Beyond

Hey Hey Hey Penguins - It's Saturday! (Read 28 times)

From the Internet.

HI PENS! Miss you all! Been super crazy busy lately (trying to finish up my PhD in the next year or so, experiments everywhere!).

I finally feel like I'm making running progress again - took a week off about a month ago, then another few days off, then switched shoes a second time (Mizuno Elixir 7 - the crazy orange and blue ones) and the shins have been good since then. Cut back on the lifting because that was contributing to my lower-leg soreness, water running 2x/week to keep up my cardiovascular fitness. I'm up to 3 minutes walk/7 jog on dry land with no issues, followed by a few short strides on grass at the end to start getting my legs used to stretching out/higher turnover again.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jack - This is purely based on speculation, but with the way I've been progressing and a nice long training program I'd like to finish around 3:45.  If I meet my weight loss goals, and things go REALLY well, maybe I'll shoot for something more aggressive.  You never know when you have 6 months of training, and still haven't been running for a full year or met your weight loss goals yet.

J. Drumm - Beer is for later.  Beer and steaks!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Lauren - Good to see you again.  Great progress!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Busy day, so just a quick check-in.  Took 1st place in my AG at my second running of the OK5K.  This was the very first race I ran when I started running last year.  Ran 25:45 last year, 20:09 today. Smile  Not a PR, but I'm very happy with that time, considering it's like a sauna out right now thanks to the storm that just passed through, and the course was wet/muddy.  Regular racing flats don't offer much traction on a wet cross country course.  Would have been sub-20 on a road course, even with the heat/humidity.

Hope everyone is having a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

JDrumm: Yes, I love my 80 day weekends. Smile

Zel: I hope the 5 was good. The knee must be doing ok?

Awood: 3:45 sounds about right, but like you said, depending on your training, the course, weather, etc... you could do much better. Try to get in another HM. You will do great.

Lauren: What is your PhD in?

D2: Good stuff. You are making us look bad with all your AG awards! Wink

I finished10.2 miles at an 8:05 pace. Things are looking good for my next HM in July.  Off to the swim meet.

From the Internet.

Thanks awood! Progressing in baby steps, but that's better than no steps, haha.

Jack - neuroscience! Brains do a lot of cool things Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The Brewers Mini will be a great tune up about 6 weeks before my marathon.  It also has a great after party from what I can tell, and it's one more state that I haven't raced in.

JDrumm: Yes, I love my 80 day weekends. Smile

Zel: I hope the 5 was good. The knee must be doing ok?

Awood: 3:45 sounds about right, but like you said, depending on your training, the course, weather, etc... you could do much better. Try to get in another HM. You will do great.

Lauren: What is your PhD in?

D2: Good stuff. You are making us look bad with all your AG awards! Wink

I finished10.2 miles at an 8:05 pace. Things are looking good for my next HM in July.  Off to the swim meet.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Lauren - good to see you back! I like to offer my brain for use in your thesis - at least then it will be used for something!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

GinnyinPA

Gustav - good for you, running in the rain.  I have a couple of very bright shirts I can wear in iffy conditions.  My last race t-shirt is neon orange, it would work well in the rain.

Dan - good job on the tempo paces.  Sounds like you're really coming back.

Damaris - windy and cloudy is better than sunny and still when it's hot and humid.

Jack - hope the 10 went well.  Enjoy DD's meets.  You're a good father.

Mel - hope the 5 went well.

Jeff -  I like the idea of setting a good example for the kids. Are your legs sore from the 26?   Hope the running group run tomorrow goes well.

I think it takes more than one margarita to make graduation ceremonies bearable.  I enjoyed the videos.

Lauren - I'm glad your legs are doing better.  Which shoes were you wearing before?

Dave - congratulations on the AG and doing so well on wet muddy trail.  You were flying!

Cloudy and humid here, but cooler than forecast.  We had a nice walk with the dog, and I hope to get a run in before the sun comes out again.

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

Gustav-- ran the whole 7+ miles in the rain?  Man, you're dedicated!

Awood-- good luck on your 13!  Yay@ your 50 miles week.  Taking water on a long summer run is always a good idea.  Sometimes you won't need it, but if you do, it's sure is nice to have some.

Dan-- way to go on that tempo run.  From what I remember you are blazing fast when you're on your game.

zelanie-- yay@ that 5 miles run today!  You're doing fantastic it sounds!

Jeff--- LMAO@ the sad cat diary!  LOVE!  Thank you.

Brainy Lauren-- hey you, good to see you.  Glad your running is going well!

Dave-- congratulations on the 1st AG!  You're da bomb!

Coralie--- I've read Born To Run, and loved it.  I felt soooo revved up after reading it.  Yeah, I remember when they found Micah Trues body.  Was somewhat surprising and sad, but I can't say it was exactly shocking as hardcore as he was.

I did just over 10 today.  Had to zip back to the house for a quick pit stop after a couple of miles, but made myself go right back out and finish.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on AG win, Dave.  You really showed those "old" guys how to run.

5.3 for me and DW @ 10:02.  Mostly on the streets, but finished on the bike path.  Did a few intervals for fun.  Perfect day and even wore short sleeves finally.  Go Blackhawks !!!

ps:  Hi Lauren !!!

tracilynn

W/b Lauren. I'm kinda still battling shin splints too. Ugh. Theyre mostly gone but Im still running "scared". Ha. Yes, baby steps! Do you think it was your shoes! Are you doing any PT for them?

I did an easy 2.25 and walked 1/2 mile trails. I dropped a bottle of water in the bushes down the road then came back for it and there were people out killing a 4+ foot water snake (it was aggressive they said) about 20 feet from where I hid my bottle. Yuck. Then I walked trails and was paranoid ...every  Effing stick looked like a snake after that.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Back from my run.  Knee only had 4.2 in it today but I guess I'll take it.  At least it is two steps forward, one step back and not the other way around.

Congrats, Dave!

Hi, Lauren!

GinnyinPA

The sun came out, but it was only 73, so quite nice for my run.  Managed 7.7 with 700' elevation gain.  I'm trying to incorporate more hills, because I'm so slow when I run them and most of the races around here are pretty hilly.  Today's route has one of the worst hills around my house (it's actually two in a row).  I didn't walk any of the hills, but did have to walk after I reached the top so I could catch my breath again.  It's progress, though.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My 33rd event of 2013 is done!

Here is the link to my report and photos.  LOTS of photos, as usual.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/9fa55acc7ed24fbaba47d08a00155e20/resume#focus

Now I'm just being lazy and laying around the house watching old movies on Turner Classic Movies.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt