Beginners and Beyond

Herrinfesta 10k RR (Read 44 times)

DavePNW

Ha. My Memorial Day 10k was also a mile from my house. Can't beat that convenience.

Great job on the huge PR & AG win. You certainly showed that running a shorter race off the fitness of a longer race, you don't need much training in between.

Wind sucks, and blows. Can't make up the time on the tailwind that you lost on the headwind. Of course everyone had the same wind, and you beat them all.

It seems to be the general consensus that the 10k is the toughest to pace. You cannot mentally check out on the back half, that's when you need the most mental strength. Good training helps that, but running into the wind will certainly take the life out of you.

Dave

cjones1

I am sure the former had a lot to do with the latter, which is why I ran with my watch on silent this past weekend and didn't even look at the stupid thing the entire race.

As it is nice job getting out there and I really liked the care in which you took coming back. Give yourself ten days to two weeks and you should be ready to blast a 5k to smithereens.

Thanks, the reverse taper after the HM was out of necessity more than anything.  I was sore enough the week after I didn't feel like I could run if I wanted to.

My 5k PR is probably my most solid race of all, and it usually takes racing a couple before I can get back into the 5k groove.  I've run next to no miles at 5k pace or faster since last October, but we'll see.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

cjones1

Ha. My Memorial Day 10k was also a mile from my house. Can't beat that convenience.

Great job on the huge PR & AG win. You certainly showed that running a shorter race off the fitness of a longer race, you don't need much training in between.

Wind sucks, and blows. Can't make up the time on the tailwind that you lost on the headwind. Of course everyone had the same wind, and you beat them all.

It seems to be the general consensus that the 10k is the toughest to pace. You cannot mentally check out on the back half, that's when you need the most mental strength. Good training helps that, but running into the wind will certainly take the life out of you.

I assume I'll get better at pacing the 10k as I begrudgingly run a few more of them. Smile

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)