Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins (Read 17 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  Last week was a bit of a failure for me running wise, though I suppose I at least got the three key runs in from the Hall HM plan.  I'm hoping this week will be better.  Recovering from the marathon is harder than I expected.  There's no acute "OMG stop now!" type of pain, but just random discomfort that pops up and freaks me out.  I think I need to be more consistent with the yoga and stretching and stop eating everything in sight.

I'm planning on a couple of easy miles today since I took yesterday as an URD.  After the easy miles I'll do some yoga and the runner 360 workout to try to help work on the imbalances in my body.

Later today I'm going to get a drink with my friend who had the goal of running three marathons sub-3 in the fall. He ran 2:56 in Chicago, then 2:58 in NYC, but then missed his goal by 28 seconds in Philly.  I still think a mighty effort like that deserves a drink or two.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Morning Pens!  Last week was a bit of a failure for me running wise, though I suppose I at least got the three key runs in from the Hall HM plan.  I'm hoping this week will be better.  Recovering from the marathon is harder than I expected.  There's no acute "OMG stop now!" type of pain, but just random discomfort that pops up and freaks me out.  I think I need to be more consistent with the yoga and stretching and stop eating everything in sight.

I'm planning on a couple of easy miles today since I took yesterday as an URD.  After the easy miles I'll do some yoga and the runner 360 workout to try to help work on the imbalances in my body.

Later today I'm going to get a drink with my friend who had the goal of running three marathons sub-3 in the fall. He ran 2:56 in Chicago, then 2:58 in NYC, but then missed his goal by 28 seconds in Philly.  I still think a mighty effort like that deserves a drink or two.

Oh hey, I just read his Philly race report! Totally deserves a drink or two.

I slept in because I am lazy and tired. Starting some experiments at work and then running from there.

PADRunner

RD for me today.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 6 miles after work.  Pilates class done before the dentist, which is next.  At least I won't be at the office all day on a Moanday.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Oh hey, I just read his Philly race report! Totally deserves a drink or two.

I slept in because I am lazy and tired. Starting some experiments at work and then running from there.

Yeah, what's even more impressive is that he only started running in 2011.  When I knew him back in college he was just perpetually partying and did nothing athletic to speak of.

Zelanie

Morning!  RD for me.  My piriformis is killing me.  Early in the race yesterday, I started thinking of it as "my old friend".  Later in the race, not so much.  I got a ton of sleep last night, so hopefully that helps.

Lauren- Good luck in the 5K!

sapf- Have fun and congratulate your friend from us, too! Smile

PAD- Enjoy the RD!

D- Good luck at the dentist!

GinnyinPA

Jill - you're smart to let your body dictate how much you do right now.  I think after you've done a few, marathons get easier to recover from, but the first one is a real shock to the body.  Have fun with your friend.  He definitely deserves a drink or two.

Damaris - good luck at the dentist and running your six.

Lauren - enjoy your run.

PAD - have a good rest day.

Z - I hope the pain/ache is better today.  Does massage help?  I have a lot of tightness in my glutes that I can sometimes ease with self-massage or a lacrosse ball, but not always.

It's colder today (feels like of 27 at 11:00 a.m.).  I'm a bit stiff from yesterday. The bite still hurts when I sit, but not when I move.  I may do my 5 on the TM so I can stay flat and slow.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Morning!  RD for me.  My piriformis is killing me.  Early in the race yesterday, I started thinking of it as "my old friend".  Later in the race, not so much.  I got a ton of sleep last night, so hopefully that helps.

Lauren- Good luck in the 5K!

sapf- Have fun and congratulate your friend from us, too! Smile

PAD- Enjoy the RD!

D- Good luck at the dentist!

Z

are you sure it is piriformis? I had it spring of last year - I ended up (after a lot of other options) opting for the pincushion approach.  Acupuncture was the ticket for me: noticeably better after 1 treatment and 90% back to normal after 4. ( had a 5th done to make sure).

though I understand different affects on different patients.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5 inside for us.  Snow is melting fast, so we might get back outside tomorrow.  Snow and leaves makes it a big mess here.

Take care of that bite, Ginny.

Zelanie

Sly- I'm not sure what it is.  It's been bothering me for as long as I can remember, and doesn't seem to go away with rest.  I did get a little relief from the one sports massage I got, but that's about all I've done.  Rolling helps, but doesn't get rid of it.  Never tried acupuncture, though I'll consider that.  First things first, I will concentrate on having less weight for my legs to drag around. 

This picture kind of cracks me up.  You'd think we were racing in the arctic.  It was in the 20s that morning, but had just hit freezing at the start.  Though it is much colder than it has been this year, so none of us were used to it.