Beginners and Beyond

Let's go DAILIES (Read 42 times)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Jay, the word is 1.0 is what road runners should use on the TM.

- Andrew

LRB

Question for TM users, what incline do you normally set it to?  In my few uses so far, I've settled on 3.5 to not feel like it's cheating.

I was doing 1.5 for awhile last spring until I started feeling some funkiness in my shins, and went back to zero where I have stayed.  I am not sure if it was coincidence or not but did not feel the need to chance anything.

DavePNW

Question for TM users, what incline do you normally set it to?  In my few uses so far, I've settled on 3.5 to not feel like it's cheating.

Well you don't ever want to take any running advice from me, but for the record I use 0.0%. Some people recommend 1% like Andrew mentioned, but I have seen conflicting opinions (as there are for everything).

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Jay, yes.  I feel like the legs are carrying cement, ha.

I had a nice 7.  In fact, it was on pace. 

Damaris

Rick, wonderful windy six this morning.

kristin10185, great job being flexible with your workouts.

Lily, I hope that you had an amazing post-work thirteen-miler.

DaveP MI, bravo on the ten.

Phil, excellent eight.

Zelanie, I hope that you enjoyed your speedwork.

Andrew, amazing intervals.

FreeSoul87, I hope that you feel OK.

Damaris, I'm glad that you were able to comfortably run.

John Rustle, how are you feeling?

Ric-G, sweet six.

Shari, yay for running outdoors!

scottydawg, I love reading about your running adventures.

Yugo8, great 7.5.

Jay, terrific 10.44. I stay at 0.0. Even at that lame lowness, running outside always feels easier on my body. Always.

3.51 in 34:29. 9:50 pace. Much better than the previous two days. Ab work and push-ups in a bit. Weights and cardio are moved to tomorrow. My central nervous system made the executive decision to sleep an extra two hours this morning.

happylily

John, Friday works for me, because it means I can rest tomorrow! And Damaris is on board with us, yeah!

Jay, if you don't set it at a minimum of 4% at all times, you're not really working out. Sorry, son...

joking... :-) I'll find a link to Jim2's page, a well respected runner over at RW. He had interesting articles on the subject. I was told that the biggest hill at the Boston marathon had a 5.5% incline. So to me, 3.5% to 6% would be what I call a hill. And I'll do that over 1 to 3 miles. But when I want to run on flat, I run at 0%. The wind resistance has been proven to be a minimal obstacle over the course of most training cycles. On a TM, we have to deal with no real good air flow. To me, no good air flow at all times compensates for stronger than usual winds on occasion . But I'll get back to you later with a couple of links.

Basya, I'm glad you had a good run! Sleep is so important for us, we just don't realize how important it is.

Just finished my 13 miler, 8:16 pace. It felt easy, I'm very happy about that. Now a hot shower.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Rocky and I got our 7.3 miles in this evening, it was as fast a progression run as I would have liked but still not a bad run overall. My left big toe kept giving me trouble for the first 2.5 miles but not so much afterwards. Now I've got 3 more sets of Bicycle Crunches to do tonight.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

Here you go, Jay: The 1% incline Treadmill Myth.

And part two

All of Jim2's writing is worth reading. I miss the man. He was a good man. But he lives in us when we remember his writings.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

StepbyStep-SH

Jay - Most of the time I just leave it on 0, or occasionally 0.5 or 1%. When I'm doing longer distances all at a relatively easy pace, I'll move it up and down some just to vary my stride.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Daisy collapsed so she has been hospitalized.  Not sure if she will make it.  She is the one still ill and believe to have had a seizure.

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Daisy collapsed so she has been hospitalized.  Not sure if she will make it.  She is the one still ill and believe to have had a seizure.

OH NO!!!! Sad Hoping she is ok!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Me too!  I was surprised she made the car ride alive.  I thought she was dead when I saw her.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

D, I hope she makes it through, so sorry you are going through all of this. Sad *hugs*.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

She said not to be surprised if she dies overnight.  They believe her pancreas stopped working and even humans could die from it.  I was giving her meds for that too but I guess her condition was worse than first thought.

Damaris

Zelanie

D- So sorry!  Sending good thoughts for Daisy!