Beginners and Beyond

California Dreaming: CIM Race Report (Read 58 times)

LRB

I completed the California International Marathon in 3:42.

I had actually swore off racing marathons and the training that goes with that after two grueling cycles in 2014 & '15, the former of which resulted in a PR, and the latter a DNF. I was already registered for Boston but coming off of an injury so I did just enough to cover the distance last spring.

I really had no plans to race or even run a marathon this year, and then this happened:

Good morning,

Training for my fall race begins today, with a rest day, of course!

LRB, you'll have a 12 week cycle?

Yep...

How long are you going up to for your long run?

16, on hills.

Might as well run 2 more and do the marathon.

Or add a 20 the week after the half, then head west.

yes yes yes!

Seriously?

hey, I have already committed to it. Plane tickets and all.

And just like that, I registered for a marathon.

My plan wasn't to fly to Sacramento and race a marathon however, it was to fly to San Diego, spend three days driving up the Pacific Coast Highway (something I had been dreaming/meaning/wanting to do forever) then run a marathon. Emphasis on run, not race.

My stops along the way were Long Beach, where I met up with my main man Ric-G and had a couple brews. Dude is as level in person as he comes across online. Santa Barbara, where I ran the famed boardwalk of Venice Beach and Marina Del Rey. Malibu, Santa Barbara, San Francisco (and a jog across the Golden Gate Bridge) and ultimately Sacramento.

I took a million pics but will spare you all of that nonsense, here are a few of my faves and the requisite selfie.

The race itself was just an afterthought, but I figured I was trained enough to run somewhere between 7:50 and 7:30. I probably could have done that on a course here in the midwest, or maybe not. CIM is hailed by thousands as a PR course, but if you ask me, that course sucked. Boston is much more runner friendly IMO, but I suppose that's all relative.

Anyway, not to make any excuses, I ran my best at what was virtually no effort at all, until it was. Back in the day I would've hunkered down and fought through at mile 21, but I am past that stage now. The marathon just doesn't matter that much to me anymore, I don't care as much as I used to. I put it all out there those two cycles back then and there is nothing more to give. That shows in my training. One would ask why even run it at all, and to that I would say having a race out there in the distance gives my running purpose. It's how I get up and run in the cold and dark mornings. I got over myself long ago so to have the PR or bust mindset just doesn't jive for me right now. I love to run, and at this point always will. But make no mistake, I still went out there to compete, my legs just gave out on me. And once they did, I got bored with the whole thing and walked. Unlike Boston however, this was no walk of shame. I just mentally checked out. There was nothing on the line but above all, I just didn't care.

My splits were as follows:

Mile 01 - 8:12

Mile 02 - 7:59

Mile 03 - 7:39

Mile 04 - 7:38

Mile 05 - 7:32

Mile 06 - 7:39

Mile 07 - 7:40

Mile 08 - 7:49

Mile 09 - 7:45

Mile 10 - 7:38

Mile 11 - 7:41

Mile 12 - 7:41

Mile 13 - 7:42

Mile 14 - 7:51

Mile 15 - 7:55

Mile 16 - 7:56

Mile 17 - 7:54

Mile 18 - 8:07

Mile 19 - 8:08

Mile 20 - 8:19

Mile 21 - 8:36

Mile 22 - 12:32

Mile 23 - 9:17

Mile 24 - 11:53

Mile 25 - 9:28

Mile 26 - 9:21

In the end I had a great time and have some ideas for future trips to California. Aside from wishing my race would've went a little better, I don't have any regrets. I am uncertain if the Marathon will be apart of future excursions, but running definitely will be. Running out there was way cool.

onemile

I'm glad you came. I had fun hanging out with you and Zel.  Your pics turned out great!  It makes me excited to head over to San Fran except for  the fact I can't walk right now.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Are those the hills onemile complained about?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

I'm glad you came. I had fun hanging out with you and Zel.  Your pics turned out great!  It makes me excited to head over to San Fran except for the fact I can't walk right now.

lol

Can you take panoramic shots with your camera? I took some, they are wonderful.

BITD, I'd never imagine you could be this laissez-faire about running a marathon. But, cool that you are. So many people talk about taking a vacation and running a marathon while they're there. I still can't imagine -- don't want to be walking around the day before, and can't walk around the day after. And I still can't imagine a marathon being "fun" under any circumstances. But going in like you did has to take most of the stress away, and allow you to just enjoy it. I suppose. The last 5 miles still don't seem like they were enjoyable at all.

Dave

Zelanie

If marathons were 20 miles long, we'd all have different stories to tell, I think!

You had a solid training cycle, mileage wise.  I'm glad you're at a point when you can get the miles in and stay healthy.  I like the idea of traveling and running different races for the experience.  Just because you're not seeking a PR doesn't mean you're not in it to give your best for the day.

Glad you got a little taste of California, hope you get to go back and spend some more time there!

If marathons were 20 miles long, we'd all have different stories to tell, I think!

Ha. No we wouldn't. We'd all run like a bat outta hell for 15 miles, then stagger through the last 5.

Dave

GinnyinPA

I'm glad you had fun, even though it wasn't a PR for you.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

SOunds like a fun trip, with a marathon at the end. That's how I like to do them!  Congrats!!

Damaris

LRB

A few other thoughts before I lose them:

The logistics with the buses to the start was pretty much on point, similar to Boston. You just have to build the extra time beforehand (they leave for the start at 5 AM) into your day.

The locations of the aid stations, or lack thereof, were pathetic. They were few and far in-between and only on one side for most of the first half, what?? And even then, they weren't much longer than the ones we have here for smaller events.

Nuun (pronounced noon, I didn't know that!), is some of the most unremarkable shit I have ever been offered at an event. Jenny pointed out post-race that she had mentioned before that it was a zero calorie drink, which may have led to the bout of light-headedness I felt before my first walk. Seriously, a ZERO calorie drink during a MARATHON? For shame.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your marathon, LRB.  Sorry the course sucked, etc., but you got it done...pretty darn quick too, way to go.

Nice photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

BITD, I'd never imagine you could be this laissez-faire about running a marathon. But, cool that you are. So many people talk about taking a vacation and running a marathon while they're there. I still can't imagine -- don't want to be walking around the day before, and can't walk around the day after. And I still can't imagine a marathon being "fun" under any circumstances. But going in like you did has to take most of the stress away, and allow you to just enjoy it. I suppose. The last 5 miles still don't seem like they were enjoyable at all.

Yeah, you are still climbing the PR ladder, so of course none of it appeals to you. I have climbed, peaked, leveled off and plunged, so what's left is love of sport. At 48, I am at an age where I could probably experience another peak, but I have zero interest right now in trying to start the climb all over again, I am content with everything. Now, that doesn't mean this was some sort of fun run, because it wasn't. Indeed, I was pretty irritated the day before that I had to run the stupid thing, a fact that J and Z can attest to. The day will never come where I am running a marathon for fun, that just ain't happening. That's not a knock on anyone that does, I just don't find anything "fun" about running 26 miles, at ANY pace.

Cyberic

Congrats on your marathon. I like the idea of your Californian vacation, and running while you're at it, and getting to meet ric-g, zel and onemile. Sounds nice.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I love to run, and at this point always will.

That's some Morpheus meets Bhudda enlightenment of simplicity right there.  You, sir, are the man.

eta:  Beer is good.  Afternoon beer is better.

Runner with a riding problem.

No more marathons

I completed the California International Marathon in 3:42.

My plan wasn't to fly to Sacramento and race a marathon however, it was to fly to San Diego, spend three days driving up the Pacific Coast Highway (something I had been dreaming/meaning/wanting to do forever) then run a marathon. Emphasis on run, not race.

My stops along the way were Long Beach, where I met up with my main man Ric-G and had a couple brews. Santa Barbara, where I ran the famed boardwalk of Venice Beach and Marina Del Rey. Malibu, Santa Barbara, San Francisco (and a jog across the Golden Gate Bridge) and ultimately Sacramento.

In the end I had a great time and have some ideas for future trips to California. Aside from wishing my race would've went a little better, I don't have any regrets. I am uncertain if the Marathon will be apart of future excursions, but running definitely will be. Running out there was way cool.

Quite simply - living the dream.

Life is a collection of experiences - and this was a good one.

Big thumbs up RT.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!