Beginners and Beyond

Boston Lurker Thread (Read 55 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I paid $200 for this shit so it is mandatory to take whatever is handed to me.    I ate almost all of it.  I pounded three of the rolls as soon as I got to the hotel room.

Ha, I don't care if it's a $600 Disney race; don't push food on me, TYVM. Leave it there and I'll take it if I want it.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That Disney food is so odd, and half the stuff in that food box I don't even know what it is.  Some cheese thing, and a fruit that you squeeze out of a tube.

THE CHEESE IS EVERYTHING!

Damaris

DavePNW

FYI for anyone wondering because we care about shit like this, the finish line food started with a mini Clif Builder bar being handed to you immediately (odd), then after waddling through the stacks of water bottles, you were handed a bag that contained a small bag of Terra Chips and a four pack of King's Hawaiian rolls.

Yeah I thought the last item was a little unusual. My overall memory of the post-race situation is kind of fuzzy; I was just deliriously making the long, long zombie-walk back to my hotel. I did somehow end up with a bottle of water and that bag in my hand. I was definitely feeling pretty unstable, and must have looked it, because a few volunteers asked me if I was OK.

Dave

DavePNW

I paid $200 for this shit so it is mandatory to take whatever is handed to me.    I ate almost all of it.  I pounded three of the rolls as soon as I got to the hotel room.

Ha, that stuff is still in my suitcase. I didn't actually eat anything till about 4 hours after I finished.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

I was just deliriously making the long, long zombie-walk back to my hotel. 

Our hotel was the Westin Copley, which was about 100 yards from the finish line.  I mean, it is right there.  Problem is, it was about one mile walk to get there because the entire finish area is barricaded, roped, and blocked.  I had to "walk" several blocks down, over, and back to the hotel.  And while it was a slow, painful shuffle, it was also kind of cool because so many people were saying congratulations.   

<3

RunningOnSand

I would like potato chips (Lays), a beer, maybe chocolate milk (depends on the day), and a bottle of water for my post marathon food, thrust at me.

I've said this before, but for racing a HM the Mesa-Phx HM had THE MOST delicious French toast. It's their staple and I swear people run it annually just to eat it. Now I'm getting hungry and want that French toast, dammit. LOL. Smile

RunningOnSand

Our hotel was the Westin Copley, which was about 100 yards from the finish line.  I mean, it is right there.  Problem is, it was about one mile walk to get there because the entire finish area is barricaded, roped, and blocked.  I had to "walk" several blocks down, over, and back to the hotel.  And while it was a slow, painful shuffle, it was also kind of cool because so many people were saying congratulations.   

How did you like staying there? Was there anything you didn't like? It's one of the hotels I'm looking at (coughs) forwhenieverqualify. #slinksaway

Baboon

delicate flower

I would like potato chips (Lays), a beer, maybe chocolate milk (depends on the day), and a bottle of water for my post marathon food, thrust at me.

I've said this before, but for racing a HM the Mesa-Phx HM had THE MOST delicious French toast. It's their staple and I swear people run it annually just to eat it. Now I'm getting hungry and want that French toast, dammit. LOL. Smile

The athlete bag we got at check-in contained an Ensure protein drink.  I will not drink it, but at the same time I don't want to throw it away, so it is just sitting on the kitchen counter right now.

<3

DavePNW

The athlete bag we got at check-in contained an Ensure protein drink.  I will not drink it, but at the same time I don't want to throw it away, so it is just sitting on the kitchen counter right now.

I think that got left in my hotel room.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

How did you like staying there? Was there anything you didn't like? It's one of the hotels I'm looking at (coughs) forwhenieverqualify. #slinksaway

I did not stay there, but in my experience you really can't go wrong with a Westin.  For location though, I'd definitely put it at the top of my list if I decide to make a weekend out of it next year.  You walk outside the lobby and you are basically standing on the finish line.

My track club booked two rooms for post-race clean up, which is why I went there.  The rooms seemed nice, although I only showered and changed.

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

AND ANOTHER THING, that whole event could not be better organized and executed.  It was flawless.  From check-in to the post-race and everything in between, they had the entire process nailed down.  It's like they had done it 120 times before or something.

<3

DavePNW

Eugene Marathon has pancakes. Which is my favorite thing ever, except I can't eat right after marathons. I took a couple, choked down half of one, then threw the rest away. Sad!

The only thing I craved after Boston was Gatorade. I never drink sports drinks in general, and didn't take any during the race. But I just desperately needed it. I went into the hotel shop on my way back to my room, and didn't see any. I asked the cashier if they had it, she said no. On my way out for dinner a couple hours later, I still had the craving and stopped in the shop again. I looked more closely and saw they had Powerade. She didn't see fit to mention that earlier when I asked about Gatorade??  Anyway I sucked down a bottle and it hit the spot.

Dave

RunningOnSand

I did not stay there, but in my experience you really can't go wrong with a Westin.  For location though, I'd definitely put it at the top of my list if I decide to make a weekend out of it next year.  You walk outside the lobby and you are basically standing on the finish line.

My track club booked two rooms for post-race clean up, which is why I went there.  The rooms seemed nice, although I only showered and changed.

Oh my word. I'm ashamed of myself. I totally knew you didn't stay there (or stay anywhere). Sigh.  That's cool that it seemed nice, though.

DavePNW

I did the Park Plaza, which is also pretty close to as good as you can get logistically, and is full of runners.

Dave

RunningOnSand

I did the Park Plaza, which is also pretty close to as good as you can get logistically, and is full of runners.

Aside from them not having the room ready for you at check in at 7pm, was there anything you particularly liked or didn't like about it? How was the noise level when you slept? And the beds? Were they comfy? (LOL -- sorry about the 100 questions!)