Beginners and Beyond

Runner forfiets race over bib number (Read 191 times)

happylily

The bolded statement has absolutely no relevance to the issue of the number and the girl's beliefs.

If you want an early meltdown thread, I am ready. People are not offended when schools celebrate only Christmas. People are excluded.

This is not the first time I read a similar comment from you, THM and I would like to give you my opinion. However, I do not want a meltdown, nor do I want an argument. It is simply my opinion and maybe I'm totally wrong. In that case, please forgive me if I misunderstood something.

Christianity has shaped the recent history of our whole continent and it is still the number one religion in America. When I celebrate Christmas, I celebrate the concept behind the holiday AND the fact that it is a beautiful tradition in my country, since the arrival of the first settlers. Just as it is a tradition in your country too (you do live in the United States, right? Not in Israel...) Hanukkah is beautiful as well, but it is not an American tradition/holiday, it's a Jewish tradition/holiday. Why can't you celebrate the concept of Christmas as well? You would see that it can be a very inclusive holiday, contrary to what you seem to think. You don't have to call yourself a Christian. Just celebrate the idea, the values, the tradition. No priest or reverend will go after you, don't worry. If I lived in Israel, as a non-Jew, I would be happy to celebrate Jewish holidays with my Jewish friends, or even just by myself in my home... I love traditions, even religious ones, even if they are not really mine.

Even though I do not consider myself religious, I find the history of Christianity beautiful. Part of why it is so beautiful is because it is based on your religion, THM. If I had to choose a religion, I would want to be part of yours. Unfortunately, I have no Jewish blood and have not married Jewish. So, the way I understand it, I will never be considered Jewish. Who's being exclusive? It's not an accusation, because I have nothing but respect for Judaism, and things are fine the way they are... I bring it up simply because you seem upset that America is still very much attached to its Christian roots. It is, and it will be for still many, many years. Until there are more Asians among us than any other nationalities. And until this happens, don't feel excluded. Instead, embrace the traditions of your country. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

This is not the first time I read a similar comment from you, THM and I would like to give you my opinion. However, I do not want a meltdown, nor do I want an argument. It is simply my opinion and maybe I'm totally wrong. In that case, please forgive me if I misunderstood something.

Christianity has shaped the recent history of our whole continent and it is still the number one religion in America. When I celebrate Christmas, I celebrate the concept behind the holiday AND the fact that it is a beautiful tradition in my country, since the arrival of the first settlers. Just as it is a tradition in your country too (you do live in the United States, right? Not in Israel...) Hanukkah is beautiful as well, but it is not an American tradition/holiday, it's a Jewish tradition/holiday. Why can't you celebrate the concept of Christmas as well? You would see that it can be a very inclusive holiday, contrary to what you seem to think. You don't have to call yourself a Christian. Just celebrate the idea, the values, the tradition. No priest or reverend will go after you, don't worry. If I lived in Israel, as a non-Jew, I would be happy to celebrate Jewish holidays with my Jewish friends, or even just by myself in my home... I love traditions, even religious ones, even if they are not really mine.

Even though I do not consider myself religious, I find the history of Christianity beautiful. Part of why it is so beautiful is because it is based on your religion, THM. If I had to choose a religion, I would want to be part of yours. Unfortunately, I have no Jewish blood and have not married Jewish. So, the way I understand it, I will never be considered Jewish. Who's being exclusive? It's not an accusation, because I have nothing but respect for Judaism, and things are fine the way they are... I bring it up simply because you seem upset that America is still very much attached to its Christian roots. It is, and it will be for still many, many years. Until there are more Asians among us than any other nationalities. And until this happens, don't feel excluded. Instead, embrace the traditions of your country. Smile

Thank you, Lily. Smile

Birdwell

Thank you, Lily. Smile

I want to thank all of you (with a few notable exceptions) for putting your response to quoted text below said quote, the way G-d intended it.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

There's an awful lot of ignorance in this post.  And that might just be understating things a bit.

The first settlers of North America were not Christians.  Hell, they weren't even European.

People of a Jewish background aren't American?  Therefore Hanukkah isn't an American tradition? Are you serious?  To follow your logic people of European descent aren't American, either.  Therefore, Christmas and Christianity aren't an American tradition, either.

Christianity is anything BUT inclusive.

The history of Christianity is beautiful?  Almost two thousand years of hate, bigotry, sexism, bribery, graft, racism, rape, pillaging, war mongering and worse?  A history of showing up in North, Central and South America and systematically murdering the locals because they were "heathen"? Yeah.  Beautiful.

Celebrate the ideas, values and tradition of a religion that isn't yours?  Why?  To take this one step further why don't *you* celebrate Hanukkah?  Practice what you preach.  You say you're not religious but have no issue practicing a Christian holiday.  What's holding you back from celebrating a Jewish holiday?  Is it really because you don't think you'll ever be considered Jewish?  Or is it something else entirely?  After all, you claim that if you could you'd choose to be Jewish.  Yet you're choosing to celebrate another religious holiday from a religion to which you do not subscribe.

Embrace the traditions of your country?  Seriously?  I think out of all the ridiculous comments out of your entire post this is one of the bigger ones.  What about the tradition or religious freedom?  Are you going to further argue that people should give up their faith and fall prey to the commercialization of a Christian holiday simply because it's a tradition that people become ignorant of their own religious practices?

You say you don't want a meltdown or an argument.  But it is now Friday and I think you just got both.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

There's an awful lot of ignorance in this post.  And that might just be understating things a bit.

The first settlers of North America were not Christians.  Hell, they weren't even European.

People of a Jewish background aren't American?  Therefore Hanukkah isn't an American tradition? Are you serious?  To follow your logic people of European descent aren't American, either.  Therefore, Christmas and Christianity aren't an American tradition, either.

Christianity is anything BUT inclusive.

The history of Christianity is beautiful?  Almost two thousand years of hate, bigotry, sexism, bribery, graft, racism, rape, pillaging, war mongering and worse?  A history of showing up in North, Central and South America and systematically murdering the locals because they were "heathen"? Yeah.  Beautiful.

Celebrate the ideas, values and tradition of a religion that isn't yours?  Why?  To take this one step further why don't *you* celebrate Hanukkah?  Practice what you preach.  You say you're not religious but have no issue practicing a Christian holiday.  What's holding you back from celebrating a Jewish holiday?  Is it really because you don't think you'll ever be considered Jewish?  Or is it something else entirely?  After all, you claim that if you could you'd choose to be Jewish.  Yet you're choosing to celebrate another religious holiday from a religion to which you do not subscribe.

Embrace the traditions of your country?  Seriously?  I think out of all the ridiculous comments out of your entire post this is one of the bigger ones.  What about the tradition or religious freedom?  Are you going to further argue that people should give up their faith and fall prey to the commercialization of a Christian holiday simply because it's a tradition that people become ignorant of their own religious practices?

You say you don't want a meltdown or an argument.  But it is now Friday and I think you just got both.

There is an awful lot of ignorance in this post, blended with biased opinion.  And it's not even truly Friday.  At least not here.  Not just yet.  Truth be told. Big grin Wink

Randy

happylily

1) I wrote the "recent" history of the continent. I know very well the history of North America.

2) People of Jewish background ARE Americans (or Canadians). But Hanukkah is not a Canadian holiday (I'll let you decide if it's an American holiday). Christianity was celebrated in the 16th century by the majority of the European settlers (yes, I know there were natives as well) and is still the number 1 religion in Canada. I'm not saying it's the best religion, I'm just stating facts. It has shaped our history more than Judaism has...

3) To ME, Christianity is beautiful. but the Church not so much. I did not explain myself, I spoke in brief terms. I know what you mean when you say it isn't beautiful, but the base is... It's what men made of it that isn't so beautiful.

4) I do try to honor some of the Jewish holidays in my own way, with my own interpretation. I won't go into it.

5) Yes, embrace the traditions of your country. It's just an idea. You don't have to.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

First of all, I am not advocating adding Hanukkah or any other holidays to all the other BS that we get exposed to this time of year. I think everyone should keep their religious practices to themselves. I won't run around yelling "Chag Sameach" so please don't run around yelling "Merry Christmas" to me.

There is very little about Christmas that is based on anything Jewish, by the way. In fact, I can't think of anything. No saviors born in our tradition, no trees with gifts, no fat man bringing presents with flying deer, nope ... nothing.

I find it kind of funny that Christians want "accommodations" from people when all they do really is bully the minorities into accepting their view of things.

As far as the girl who wouldn't run the race with 666 is concerned, she stood up for her own principals, that's fine. No loss to the race or anyone else. I have no problem with her other than the one I would with anyone who gives power to any numbers (including 13 or 42 or whatever).

What Cookie said really sums it all up well.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

delicate flower

Oy vey.

<3

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

So, a 666 is just a number, but "Merry Christmas" isn't just words?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

happylily

Thank you for your respectful response, THM. It shows that it's possible to exchange opinions without going into attack mode. Smile

happylily

Don't complicate things. I have a headache this morning. Big grin

Hip Redux

Welp, it's Friday.

(also - religion, really?  Almost too easy a melt down thread lol)

happylily

I guess I'm a notorious meltdowns participant... Blush But I always have pure intentions! Big grin

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Apparently my brain doesn't work like yours does. I didn't see the connection between the girl refusing to race and people not liking Christmas pushed down their throats.

Now I don't see what you mean by the above. 666 is a number with no meaning. "Merry Christmas" is fraught with meaning.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

666 has been known as the mark of the beast for a long time.  It's debated now, and some say it should be interpreted as 616.  Either way, it does have meaning to many.  My total at Subway was $6.66, and the cashier said, "Ewww...creepy".  Even she knew.

While Christmas was intended to be a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, there is very little about the mainstream celebration of Christmas that is religious.  The religious portion usually takes place behind the closed doors of a church other than the occasional nativity scene.  Think about this.  Santa Claus, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, elves, trees, stocking, lights have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus Christ.  Those are all secular elements, that everybody and anybody can adopt as part of their holiday celebration if they choose to do so.  Some people even choose to spell Christmas as Xmas, and completely leave Christ out of it.

I celebrate Christmas for the birth of Christ.  Others celebrate for presents.  This girl doesn't want to wear 666.  I'd wear it.  I'd also give her a new number if she wanted it.  I ate the sandwich from Subway.  Shoot, I got married in Hell, MI.  We all have our individual beliefs, and that's okay.  Just know that when I say, "Merry Christmas", I'm doing nothing more than trying to be nice.  I want you to be merry, and happy.  I'm not asking you to praise Jesus.  It's all good.  We can co-exist.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013