Beginners and Beyond

Runner forfiets race over bib number (Read 191 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Apparently my brain doesn't work like yours does. I didn't see the connection between the girl refusing to race and people not liking Christmas pushed down their throats.

Now I don't see what you mean by the above. 666 is a number with no meaning. "Merry Christmas" is fraught with meaning.

Much of this thread revolves around the meaning of 666. Aside from the numeric value, it also has symbolic meaning just as Christmas does. BTW the roots of Christmas go deep into Judaism. That's why the Gospels are filled with quotations from the Old Testament and why Christians include the Old Testament in their canon of scriptures.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Much of this thread revolves around the meaning of 666. Aside from the numeric value, it also has symbolic meaning just as Christmas does. BTW the roots of Christmas go deep into Judaism. That's why the Gospels are filled with quotations from the Old Testament and why Christians include the Old Testament in their canon of scriptures.

Give me some examples. I can't see anything about Christmas celebrations that have a single thing to do with the Judaism that I practice and teach.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Birdwell

Give me some examples. I can't see anything about Christmas celebrations that have a single thing to do with the Judaism that I practice and teach.

+1

examples people!

(no points for saying that Jesus was Jewish)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The condemnation for people who drag trees in from the forest and then decorate them, is from the Torah.

Does that count?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

+1

examples people!

(no points for saying that Jesus was Jewish)

According to the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus' birth was the fulfillment of the OT prophesies of the coming Messiah. Among the prophesies Matthew said were fulfilled are Isaiah 7:14, Jeremiah 23:5, and Zechariah 9:9.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Too late to respond.  nevermind.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

According to the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus' birth was the fulfillment of the OT prophesies of the coming Messiah. Among the prophesies Matthew said were fulfilled are Isaiah 7:14, Jeremiah 23:5, and Zechariah 9:9.

Yes, but that does not have anything to do with the practices THM mentions.  Just because Christianity is based upon a continuation of Judaism prophecies does not make them similar in their practices.

Damaris

Love the Half

Just a thought from someone who studies history.

No human society is free from a dark past.  Slavery has been commonly practiced by all cultures and, to the best of my knowledge, no cultures are exempt.  Every culture (with the possible exception of small tribes), until quite recently, established totalitarian monarchies as the only form of government.  Ritualized torture and murder of captured enemies was nearly universal.  The sacrifice of children to the gods was not uncommon.  Religious conflicts tend to be the most violent because not only are you attempting to vanquish the enemy, you are trying to prevent them from proselytizing to your children and sending them to everlasting hell.  Anyone who would deliberately attempt to brainwash your children in such a manner as to ensure their eternal punishment is certainly due no mercy and deserving of every malediction that can be poured upon them.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

I guess that THM was serious when she wrote last night that she was ready for a meltdown. Remind me all to wish her a merry Christmas when the time comes, please. Big grin

Tar Heel Mom

Happy Thanksgivukkah!!

posted: 08/11/2013 at 7:06 AM

Meltdown in progress in B&B. You're welcome.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

I guess that THM was serious when she wrote last night that she was ready for a meltdown. Remind me all to wish her a merry Christmas when the time comes, please. Big grin

Tar Heel Mom

Happy Thanksgivukkah!!

posted: 08/11/2013 at 7:06 AM

Meltdown in progress in B&B. You're welcome.

Nope.  Just gonna say "Happy Holidays"

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Nope.  Just gonna say "Happy Holidays"

But then you won't make THM happy... She loves meltdowns... Give the woman what she wants!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yes, but that does not have anything to do with the practices THM mentions.  Just because Christianity is based upon a continuation of Judaism prophecies does not make them similar in their practices.

That has everything to do with it. There would be no reason to celebrate otherwise unless you're stripping all religious meaning from the practices and seeing them only as cultural phenomena like celebrating birthdays, Presidents Day, and the Fourth of July.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Personally, I think too many people are too damn sensitive.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Is this a meltdown?   If so, meltdown's don't really live up to their billing.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Is this a meltdown?   If so, meltdown's don't really live up to their billing.

We agree at last!!

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.