Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies for Penguins In Control (Read 26 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is March 30th.  Holidays for today:

I Am In Control Day -  the anniversary of the 1981 assassination attempt of President Reagan, when Secretary Haig told the world he was in control.  Sounded more like he was out of control.

Doctor's Day

Pencil Day

Turkey Neck Soup Day

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Scotty, thanks for starting us off. I was surprised to see you didn't race yesterday; I thought you had a strict "2 races per weekend" minimum! Wink

Zel, Brill, Traci, and Lauren - thanks for the feedback. I've been noticing fir a long time that we have many similarities. Traci, I especially remembering seeing your halls agrees ago and thinking, "That's me!".

Not surei can manage anything longer than 5 miles midweek. Between work, family, and my side quilting business, style days just fly by. Also looks like In entering a new chapter as caregiver. My dad is 90, DFIL is 88. They both are still independent at home but requiring a lot more assistance. There just isn't enough time In a day.

Kathleen, what is your quilting business?  I need someone who can do reasonably-priced long-arm quilting!  Everything is so expensive here in SoCal, so I was planning on either taking them to the Central Valley next time I go up there, or mailing them to a gal in Utah.

I'm going out for an easy 6-7.  We are moving on Saturday so I am trying to get all my favorite runs in before then.  We're only moving 10 miles, but I doubt I'll hop in my car and head back over to these trails for daily runs; plenty of trails near my new house to explore!

Zelanie

Morning!  Back to work for me- that alarm rang early today!  I have 8 planned for after work, hopefully before the ZZZs catch up.

Scotty- Thanks for starting us off.  I will try to stay in control today. 

Brilliant- So I assume all the work you've done on the new house is paying off and it's ready to enjoy the fruits of your labor?  Exciting!

Brilliant

Brilliant- So I assume all the work you've done on the new house is paying off and it's ready to enjoy the fruits of your labor?  Exciting!

It's not ready at all.    The kitchen is a disaster zone.  We had to remove the upper cabinets so we can raise the ceiling.  But the new cabinets won't be here for a month.  So I'll have half a kitchen for a month, then no kitchen at all for a couple of weeks while the new kitchen is being put in.  Oh, and my parents will be visiting starting on May 20, so if even one thing goes wrong, it won't be done before they get here.  (I warned them!)

Have a nice 8 tonight!

Zelanie

Good luck!  That will be hard moving in and not really being able to get settled in the kitchen.  Hope the new cabinets are great, though!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  Today is supposed to be a RD, but I might push the RD to later in the week since I didn't follow my running schedule last week and don't really need one today.  I'll probably run to/from yoga in the afternoon.

Scotty - doctor's day doesn't sound like much fun =P

Brill - it is exciting that you're moving into a new house... I can't wait until I'm a real person with a house instead of just a renter, of course that means leaving NYC because even 1 bedroom apartments in my area sell for 800k :-(

Zel - enjoy your 8 later

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  I'm back from competition, and what a weekend!!  My quartet sang on Friday, and we were the last ones on the program.  So we started the pattern about 7:45, and made it on stage about 9:30.  We were VERY well received by the audience -- riotous laughter at our jokes, lots of applause, etc.  Not so much the judges -- we got a few strange comments as well as the standard "inconsistent energy, some tuning issues, continue working on vocal skills".  But our final scores were better than last year by quite a bit, so I'm satisfied.  My chorus didn't compete this year, so I volunteered to help hostess a chorus.  That was all kinds of fun, getting them picked up and shepherded through the pattern.  The chorus I hostessed was new to our region, so they were a bit apprehensive about it all.  Hopefully I was able to keep them calm and informed.  Then our quartet sang around on Saturday after the chorus contest ... all in all I was up until around 1AM both nights.  I am DRAGGING today!!

Scotty -- not so sure I'm in control today.  But I need to be, because I have a lot to do!!

Brilliant -- Enjoy your easy 6-7, and good luck with the move!!

Zelanie -- good luck with your 8!!

sapf -- enjoy running from yoga!!  (hee hee ...)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight or a rest day.  Not sure which one I'll pick.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I'm not feeling much in control today, don't much care for turkey necks, dislike doctors even more - maybe I can use a pencil today.

Brilliant - have fun with your trail run later.  I wish we had trails closer to home.  The nearest one is about 45 minutes away, and it's only 3 miles.  The nearest AT trailhead is about the same distance, but it starts with a very steep rocky climb, so I don't run that one.  Good  luck with the kitchen remodel.  Our former house needed a kitchen remodel badly, but I hated the idea of doing without the kitchen for that long, especially since it was my husband doing the work.  Not having a master bathroom for two months was bad enough.

Z - your spring break went quickly.  Good luck with your eight miles later.

HopesMom - sounds like a fun experience, even if you didn't win.  Nice to feel like you're making progress.

sapf - enjoy your run and yoga today

D - enjoy your rest day or recovery miles, whichever you end up doing.

AFM:  today is supposed to be a rest day, but I'm thinking about doing a few miles.  I'm only 8 away from 200 for the month, with 5 miles planned for tomorrow.  I can either do tomorrow long, do both days short, or just be happy with 197.  My legs will hurt regardless.  I'm seriously considering dropping out of the marathon.  If I hurt this much now, what will happen after I hit 20?

Brilliant

Brilliant - have fun with your trail run later.  I wish we had trails closer to home.  

AFM:  today is supposed to be a rest day, but I'm thinking about doing a few miles.  I'm only 8 away from 200 for the month, with 5 miles planned for tomorrow.  I can either do tomorrow long, do both days short, or just be happy with 197.  My legs will hurt regardless.  I'm seriously considering dropping out of the marathon.  If I hurt this much now, what will happen after I hit 20?

Well, these trails are not exciting wilderness trails. Smile  The city we're in now has a smallish network of dirt and gravel trails for pedestrians and horses.  The city we're moving to has a bigger network of same, yay!  It's just nice to get off the sidewalk and not have to deal with cars or crossing too many streets.  We also have a state park not too far from us with more wilderness-type trails, but I don't get to run there much because I won't run there alone (mountain lions).

WOW 200 miles!  I hope you go for the 3 miles today because that's a neat milestone.  I don't know what to tell you about the marathon.   My husband won't allow me to utter the word marathon in our house right now.  Big grin  But I was just looking at your log and you have a really really good base to run a marathon!  When is it?

Brilliant

Jill, have a nice run!

Damaris, enjoy your run or rest.

HopesMom, your weekend sounds really really fun! I hope you recover quickly from all the excitement. Smile

I got in 6.5 very hilly miles.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi Penguins!!  I'm back from competition, and what a weekend!!  My quartet sang on Friday, and we were the last ones on the program.  So we started the pattern about 7:45, and made it on stage about 9:30.  We were VERY well received by the audience -- riotous laughter at our jokes, lots of applause, etc.  Not so much the judges -- we got a few strange comments as well as the standard "inconsistent energy, some tuning issues, continue working on vocal skills".  But our final scores were better than last year by quite a bit, so I'm satisfied.  My chorus didn't compete this year, so I volunteered to help hostess a chorus.  That was all kinds of fun, getting them picked up and shepherded through the pattern.  The chorus I hostessed was new to our region, so they were a bit apprehensive about it all.  Hopefully I was able to keep them calm and informed.  Then our quartet sang around on Saturday after the chorus contest ... all in all I was up until around 1AM both nights.  I am DRAGGING today!!

Scotty -- not so sure I'm in control today.  But I need to be, because I have a lot to do!!

Brilliant -- Enjoy your easy 6-7, and good luck with the move!!

Zelanie -- good luck with your 8!!

sapf -- enjoy running from yoga!!  (hee hee ...)

Great job!  And I am dragging too.  Zzzzz.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - the race is April 26th.  Supposedly I have one more big week (50 miles) then start a taper.  If I can get through this week without too much pain, I may go for the race.  If I can't, I'll drop it.

Zelanie

Ginny, I for one think that your training is going well. You've handled your long runs and even run a HM between them. You're supposed to feel beat up when you're at the peak of your training. Sounds like everything is going according to plan. Trust your training.