Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #3 (Read 33 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Can we make it to #365 with this as a topic title?

10 miles on the trainer to warm up, except it didn't help me run my intervals (3.5 total) any faster, so at some point I may just have to accept that it's not the cold, it's just that I've gotten slower. Yay.

Nobody told me what to do yesterday so I'm going to ask again -- though what will likely end up happening is option B will sell out and I won't have the choice anymore, at which point I will probably realize that's what I wanted to do all along.

I'm having another "which race do I do?" dilemma for Super Bowl Sunday ... which I wouldn't worry about just yet except that one of them is near capacity.

A. Half marathon a couple of miles from home, $50, 10 AM start. It's multiple loops of the park and I've done that race several times (they put one on in the winter and in the fall), and I predict that if I do it, I will place second or third because I always do. Possibly of note is the fact that I'm doing a ten-mile race a couple of weeks later on the same course. Snooze.

B. Four-mile race ten miles away, $33, 9 AM start. And yes, I'd likely run there, because if I plan to race anything in the winter I need a long warmup. Except that my main purpose in doing this would be to get a stupid A bib, and I'd have to run something crazy like 6:15 pace for that, which is obviously not going to happen... but I might be able to squeak out a PR at least.

Why do these people persist in putting on races on the same day??

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

B but don't do more than a 4 mile warm up

Baboon

delicate flower

'Morning.  60 minute treadmill tempo run done before work, since I blew that off last night.  4 x 10:00 huckleberries, with 2:00 coastal strides for recovery.  So 40 minutes of tempo at 6:53 avg pace.  That was hard, that's what she said.   Last night's too-many-Brussels sprouts made this especially challenging.

I'm having another "which race do I do?" dilemma for Super Bowl Sunday

When I am faced with this dilemma, I almost always go for the race of the longer distance, and in this specific case, the possibility of placing that high would certainly lock me into that one.  Case in point:  Next weekend I have the options of a 10K Saturday or a 17 miler Sunday, and I am going with the latter. 

<3

bluerun

Super B****

B but don't do more than a 4 mile warm up

That makes no sense because I'd either have to get up crazy early to get to the park early enough to have time for the warmup (or I guess get off the subway a few stops early)... and then I'd still need to run more miles afterward, but I can't just run home because that's too many miles for one day so I'd have to do another half-subway trip

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

When I am faced with this dilemma, I almost always go for the race of the longer distance, and in this specific case, the possibility of placing that high would certainly lock me into that one.  Case in point:  Next weekend I have the options of a 10K Saturday or a 17 miler Sunday, and I am going with the latter. 

I'm not ungrateful that I can place that high in races, but particularly with this one, it's not anything special, really. It has more to do with the fact that there aren't many super speedy people who want to do three loops of the park, I guess. It's unusual for the first place female to even finish under 1:30. (I do like these race guys, though, and I'm mad at NYRR for switching the date of the Bronx 10 Mile so I can't do it this year, but that's not a good reason to choose it.)

chasing the impossible

onemile

That makes no sense because I'd either have to get up crazy early to get to the park early enough to have time for the warmup (or I guess get off the subway a few stops early)... and then I'd still need to run more miles afterward, but I can't just run home because that's too many miles for one day so I'd have to do another half-subway trip

It makes sense if you want to run your best, but if you're too lazy to do that then might as well do the other race.

onemile

I'm not ungrateful that I can place that high in races, but particularly with this one, it's not anything special, really. It has more to do with the fact that there aren't many super speedy people who want to do three loops of the park, I guess. It's unusual for the first place female to even finish under 1:30. (I do like these race guys, though, and I'm mad at NYRR for switching the date of the Bronx 10 Mile so I can't do it this year, but that's not a good reason to choose it.)

I'd rather run a PR than win a race with slow competition. Hence my vote for B.

(placing AND PRing is cooler of course but getting a medal at a race just because the field is slow.. meh)

DavePNW

That makes no sense 

I GUESS DO THE OTHER ONE THEN.

Dave

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I ran a little over 4 this morning.  Legs/butt have been tired and sore so I didn't attempt to stretch today and have to say I feel better sitting/standing at work. Can't conclude anything from one day but I've always wondered if stretching really helped me or not.

I think I would go with B, but without the 10 mile run to the race...maybe half that which might be possible with a subway assist?

I'm having another "which race do I do?" dilemma for Super Bowl Sunday ... 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

bluerun, I was thinking about the title as well and then I thought, someone is going to fuck it up during the year and mess the streak. I vote with onemile.

I have the 8 I didn't run yesterday.

Damaris

Unplanned off day, slept in till 6:45 because I stayed up late watching reruns of NCIS 😀😛

was only planning 2 this morning as off work tomorrow and hoping for longer stream grade run

bluerun

Super B****

I'd rather run a PR than win a race with slow competition. Hence my vote for B.

(placing AND PRing is cooler of course but getting a medal at a race just because the field is slow.. meh)

So would I, but a PR isn't a guarantee. Yeah, yeah, I know it never is, but still. I actually don't even know offhand what my 4-mile PR is, but it's from July 4 when it was a thousand degrees, and I do better in that than in a thousand below.

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

bluerun, I was thinking about the title as well and then I thought, someone is going to fuck it up during the year and mess the streak. I vote with onemile.

I have the 8 I didn't run yesterday.

Then obviously someone else will have to start a second dailies for that day

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

I GUESS DO THE OTHER ONE THEN.

You don't know how good I am at vacillating, clearly.

chasing the impossible

onemile

So would I, but a PR isn't a guarantee. Yeah, yeah, I know it never is, but still. I actually don't even know offhand what my 4-mile PR is, but it's from July 4 when it was a thousand degrees, and I do better in that than in a thousand below.

6:42 / mile.  Alright, that was an easy decision.