Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #3 (Read 33 times)

bluerun

Super B****

6:42 / mile.  Alright, that was an easy decision.

Ha! Maybe a few months ago, but I'm slower now apparently.

Assuming this is the same course NYRR used the last time I did a four-mile race in Central Park, a course PR shouldn't be an issue, but that doesn't really count. And I'd need to run thirty seconds per mile faster than my PR to qualify for A corral, which is obviously not happening.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

I'm having another "which race do I do?" dilemma for Super Bowl Sunday ... which I wouldn't worry about just yet except that one of them is near capacity.

A. Half marathon a couple of miles from home, $50, 10 AM start. It's multiple loops of the park and I've done that race several times (they put one on in the winter and in the fall), and I predict that if I do it, I will place second or third because I always do. Possibly of note is the fact that I'm doing a ten-mile race a couple of weeks later on the same course. Snooze.

B. Four-mile race ten miles away, $33, 9 AM start. And yes, I'd likely run there, because if I plan to race anything in the winter I need a long warmup. Except that my main purpose in doing this would be to get a stupid A bib, and I'd have to run something crazy like 6:15 pace for that, which is obviously not going to happen... but I might be able to squeak out a PR at least.

Why do these people persist in putting on races on the same day??

For me, racing a half is kind of a big deal. I need to be in the right kind of shape and it has to fit into the right place in my training schedule. In that case it will be a no-brainer to pick that distance. Course snooziness is not a factor, but flatness is. If I am not squarely in half-racing mode, it will always be the shorter distance.

Also I get sort of turned off by distances other than the standard four, just because I have nothing to compare the results to.

Dave

DavePNW

I am thinking about taking 2-3 days off to rest my sore hammy. I could probably push through, but maybe a good idea to give it a break. The fact that it never loosened up throughout the run yesterday I guess should be a sign.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

For me, racing a half is kind of a big deal. I need to be in the right kind of shape and it has to fit into the right place in my training schedule. In that case it will be a no-brainer to pick that distance. Course snooziness is not a factor, but flatness is. If I am not squarely in half-racing mode, it will always be the shorter distance.

Also I get sort of turned off by distances other than the standard four, just because I have nothing to compare the results to.

Fair enough, but I'm not planning to race that one (when I say "race," I mean "go after a PR"). And it isn't flat.

Four milers are standard here since NYRR has so many of them! The course has apparently changed, though... the West Side hills that always kill me used to be in mile 3, now they're mile 2, which means Cat Hill is mile 3. So the middle miles are the suckiest.

chasing the impossible

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I am thinking about taking 2-3 days off to rest my sore hammy. I could probably push through, but maybe a good idea to give it a break. The fact that it never loosened up throughout the run yesterday I guess should be a sign.

smart...Being smart is my goal, other than Boston, for 2020!

sdWhiskers

Blue--are you planning to run as many races in 2020 as 2019? It definitely served you well last year.

DavePHammy--rest those hammies

I ran 6 miles at super easy pace. Was aiming for HR < 140.

Question for anyone who has used Beach body workout videos--was it worth the money? I don't care about coaches, shakes or any pyramid schemes, I'm looking for an assortment of 20-30 min workouts to do in my living room that are easily accessible through my smart tv. Beach body seems to fit the bill.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Question for anyone who has used Beach body workout videos--was it worth the money? I don't care about coaches, shakes or any pyramid schemes, I'm looking for an assortment of 20-30 min workouts to do in my living room that are easily accessible through my smart tv. Beach body seems to fit the bill.

I don't have the Beachbody on Demand but have a lot of their workout systems and they were worth it. But have not tried the On Demand to see if the annual price is worth it. I've heard it has everything I own and more.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

I don't have the Beachbody on Demand but have a lot of their workout systems and they were worth it. But have not tried the On Demand to see if the annual price is worth it. I've heard it has everything I own and more.

Thanks, that's helpful.

It's only $59/6 months or $99/12 months so pretty reasonable.

bluerun

Super B****

Blue--are you planning to run as many races in 2020 as 2019? It definitely served you well last year.

I think I race a lot, in general... I wasn't making a particular effort to run more of them in 2019. It was just the monthly half marathon thing that was different, and no, I don't plan to do that again because it got very expensive and complicated some months!

chasing the impossible

Half Crazy K 2.0

I got the DVD sets for p90x 1 and 2 and insanity asylum.  They get a bit, ok a lot, repetitive.  I wasn't a big fan of the music.  Shaun T is nice to look at though and he clearly does not own many shirts.

I like Cathe Friedrich's stuff better.  I think you can get a 1 week trial. To me, her stuff has better music, and I like the format better. She has 2 options,  one is for live classes only,  the other is her entire library plus live. She has tons of strength training.

KCRuns

This is day 6 of no running, bronchitis sucks.  I worked from home most of the week due to the uncontrollable coughing fits, but am feeling better and back in the office today. If the coughing continues to subside throughout the afternoon, then I'll try to run tomorrow.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Whiskers, I got my beachbody DVDs from totalfitnessdvds.net. No coach crap involved

DavePNW

Hey Damaris, I found this interesting - overview of USADA rules covering asthma/allergy drugs. I learned that my marathon PR last month was set illegally. 

Dave

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Managed to come down with a cold again. My immune system is killing me (more importantly my running) these days. Hopefully I'll be back at it in a day or two. I'm feeling a little better today than yesterday, so progress is good.

Hope you all are doing well!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

RunningOnSand

KC & SIAR, get better!!!!! 

blue, id vote option B as well w/o the insanely long “warmup” (10 miles?! Really?!)

ive heard of good things of Beachbody, but I’m with HC about Cathe. Her stuff rocks. 

dave, seems like a wise decision. You know your body the best. 

I ran 6 with my sister. Last day of running with my siblings! It was a sucky run for me, but I think that’s because I’m inexplicably coming down with yet another bug?! I’m really hoping not. We’re on our way home to the frozen tundra that I call home, and while I’m looking forward to seeing my animals and getting home, the coldness is a huge turn off. Boo. But I’m guessing tonight will be an awesome night of sleep, so there’s that too.