Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins Will Not Fall On the First Day of Fall (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

OK, just because today is the first day of "FALL"....please don't get out there and fall...   Hope everyone can find a nice scenic autumnal place to get a run in today.

Did a Weight training circuit after work yesterday.  Today, Fall actually did arrive in my area.  Only 68 degrees this morning.  After work today, will be a 'cool' 86 degrees with only 35% humidity and low dew-point, yay!   Plan on doing about 3 - 4 miles of hills after work.

on my way to badass

Good morning Penguins! Thanks for starting us off Scotty. Have fun with the weights. My favorite thing about Fall is the weather. Its why I live in the Northeast.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

tracilynn

It feels like the first day of Fall here. Morning low of 50 degrees!  It felt so awesome

My favorite thing about Fall is/are the changing leaves, the crisp air an blue skies and Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest oh and college football and pumpkin cider candles 

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Overslept this morning so I only had time to run 2.5 miles but I ran 1 warmup mile at the gym yesterday and also did 20 minutes on the stairclimber.

I'm trying to get ready for our trip to the Smokies in mid Oct ...plan to hike some trails.  I am making my husband power walk a hill in our neighborhood  every night to get him in trail climbing shape. Ha.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Stone- are you gonna order any of your race pics?

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I think my favorite things about fall are sleeping with the windows open and watching the leaves turn colors as I drive to and from work.  Though I wasn't ready for 48 degrees this morning!!  We bailed on our walk in favor of more sleep.  I might walk at work today, we'll see.  

scotty -- have a good cooler after work run!!

Stone -- enjoy the fall weather!!

traci -- you have a lot of fall favorites!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

I love autumn, mostly for the colors but also for the cool dry air.  Coming from the desert, autumn was a real revelation to me.  The only leaf change we got in Arizona was a few aspens high in the mountains.  Our trees here in PA are already starting to change color.  The maples and sumac and poison ivy are bright red.  Others are yellow and orange.  A lot of leaves have fallen, thanks to the drought and some big winds the past few days. The trail yesterday was carpeted with fresh acorns (watch out!) Today's high is only going to be 70 degrees.  I cant' wait to get outdoors.

Scotty - enjoy your hills this afternoon.

Tracilynn - October is a great time to be in the Appalachians.  Lots of good color.  Watch out for the stairmaster though, it can put a lot of stress on the knees.

Stonefence - any post race soreness?

HopesMom - I hope you get a walk later.

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Up before the sun for 1000m repeats with 400 slow jog rest, worked out to ~2:45 between reps. Wanted to do 5x1000 but only had time for 4 so I did some faster pickups on the way home to make up for skipping the last one. My fitness seems to be nicely in line with my readjusted goal 5K pace - first one was slow at 4:52, then 4:42, 4:48, 4:41. Felt like a solid 5K effort but had enough energy left for the pickups on the way home.

7.41 miles total, longest I've ever run on a normal midweek workout day Smile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5 planned for me and dear RP this afternoon.  Trying to get her on the bridle path, but she doesn't like the stones in her shoe.

Traci, are you going to Dollywood?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your half, StoneFence.  Good report and your photos look good.

50 degrees is more like 'winter' where I am, Traci.  At that temp, you would see a lot of people around here in jackets, gloves, etc.   Yeah, crack the whip on your hubby, get him in shape!

Enjoy your walk later, HsM, if you go out for it.

Enjoy your Fall weather, Ginny, and the colors!  Altho, I would avoid the sumac and poison ivy.

Goodness, Lauren, you got quite a strenuous workout there before Fall even 'officially' started. 

Good luck with the 5, Jerry.  As for the bridle trail, your DW should look forward to that...cuz it will make her a 'rock-it' runner! 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Spent most of the day in court but I am finally back at the office.

What is this Fall you speak of?

Damaris

From the Internet.

ALL OF THE SWEAR WORDS. The most finicky goddamn piece of equipment on the planet, which happens to be crucial for all of my experiments, is not working for the eight millionth time this year D: My graduation date has already been pushed back so I could finish these experiments (which have not gone smoothly at all up to this point thanks to this thing breaking all the time) and my breeder mice for the line I'm studying are all dying off, I've been trying to finish this shit up for so long.

I'm going to have a serious chat with my PI about a backup plan when he's back from traveling. I need to finish my degree. I'm at the start of my 7th year now and my program is getting pissy that I'm not done yet - broken equipment is not helping my cause at all Sad

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Fall? Is that that thing when temperatures drop, the leaves turn beautiful colors, and people get ready for winter? Yeah, we don't have that here.  Hopefully, it will get down to the low 70s by December. It's still in the 90s today and I am wearing shorts and a running shirt. DD has an XC meet tonight and I will go run after it gets dark. It's that busy time of year, again. Wait, we are always busy...

Singer who runs a smidge

ALL OF THE SWEAR WORDS. The most finicky goddamn piece of equipment on the planet, which happens to be crucial for all of my experiments, is not working for the eight millionth time this year D: My graduation date has already been pushed back so I could finish these experiments (which have not gone smoothly at all up to this point thanks to this thing breaking all the time) and my breeder mice for the line I'm studying are all dying off, I've been trying to finish this shit up for so long.

I'm going to have a serious chat with my PI about a backup plan when he's back from traveling. I need to finish my degree. I'm at the start of my 7th year now and my program is getting pissy that I'm not done yet - broken equipment is not helping my cause at all Sad

What are you running?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.