Beginners and Beyond

Thrivin' and Strivin' Thursday Penguins (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Pilates tonight.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

We're doing one or the other right...either thrivin' or strivin'!  And sometimes both.

Hope everyone is thriving!  As for striving......what are you striving for today?

I am striving for about 4 miles today after work, probably at Fort Sam Houston.   Will be a very easy run along my "Dog Alley" route on which I hand out treats to my many canine pals in the family housing area.  It will be a 'cool' 86 degrees, but the humidity will be only 25% and the dew-point will be at 44, so should be very comfortable.

My legs will appreciate an easy run after last night's events.  Went to one of my favorite parks and found a trail I'd never been on before.  A cyclist was coming off the trail and I asked him if the trail came out on the other side of the park.  He said the trail was kind of like a 'maze', lots of trails interconnecting and I'd be going 'in circles' for while until I finally figured it out and took the correct path that would bring me back out the paved trail in the park.  He wasn't kidding either...I did end up going in circles for a bit and coming back out to where I'd just been a little while before.  And the terrain was crazy....sometimes rocky, sometimes really nice smooth trail, sometimes uphill at steep inclines, sometimes gentle slopes...it was nuts!  And very much fun!   Except for the part where I missed seeing a low-hanging branch in front of me at about shoulder level and whacked right into it, knocking myself down.....  owwwww...        bit of a scrape on my knee and slight bruise on my shoulder, but no serious harm done.  I finally did find my way back to the paved trail - whew! - and continued on through the rest of the park.  Ended up with 4.2 miles and tired legs....but the 'good' kind of tired.  A really challenging but fun workout.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Docket and Scotty and Pens.

Enjoy Pilates, D.

Thanks for starting Scotty.  Glad you survived yesterday's run. Watch out for those low hanging branches.

Short slow run as we rest up for Sunday's race.

Have great Thriday.

tracilynn

Scotty, nice 4.2 on the maze trail. Good job.

Jerry, are your trails still flooded? Enjoy your taper. What's your goal for Sunday? Besides trying to keep up with mrs Jerry?

I'm back from the Smokies. Had a great time. Lots of hiking in the Mtns. I have not run in 1 week and I have no desire to. I need a kick in the pants. We have perfect running weather right now too.

I can still feel tingles and burning in my right arch at times so I'm afraid the PF is here to stay until I can figure it out.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Brilliant

Scotty, glad you are OK.  I hope no one saw you to add insult to injury. Smile

Traci, consider yourself kicked in the pants!  Sorry about your PF. Sad

Jerry, enjoy the taper!

My toes are almost all better.  I'm optimistic enough that I made a pedi appointment for tomorrow night.  Trying to decide if I should head out this morning for an easy run or give them a rest day.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Late night last night with quartet rehearsal, although we had a good time.  Chorus rehearsal tonight, and we're showing a DVD, so I have to lug in my laptop, speaker, the chorus projector, power strip, various cables, extension cord, etc.  Luckily I have my very own sherpa (DH) to help!

Docket -- enjoy your Pilates!!

Scotty -- love the light/dark penguin!!  Sorry about the close encounter with the tree, but glad you had fun!!

Jerryb -- have a good Thriday run!!

traci -- Glad you had fun in the Smokies, but boo for your arch!!

Brilliant -- have a good day, whichever you decide!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Morning! I am posting from my phone today because we had to move some stuff around because we're getting new carpet. Just in a couple of rooms, but still an exciting and grown-up sort of thing to do.

We are also shuffling rooms a bit so that we will have a guest room when our Costa Rican exchange student comes in December. DD is hoping to host the girl she stayed with down there.

Oh, and SRD #11. Planning a short run this weekend.

Scotty- New trails are always fun!

D- Enjoy the PiYo.

Traci- Take care of that foot!

Jerry- Excited for your race this weekend!

Brilliant- Enjoy the pedi! I haven't been in forever, they always grump at me for my teeny tiny toenails.

HsM- Hope rehearsal goes well!

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Good morning Penguins!

Got up this morning and did an Insanity ab workout. I'm pretty sure I'll want to rip them off later on today. I had to reschedule my run to today because work got a little crazy yesterday (ended up working late and then didn't have the energy when I got home). Should have known better though. When we (military) are in an exercise, my work schedule can get kind of crazy and sometimes do not know I am working late until the time to go home has already passed. Oh, and I did mention it was finals week for my college course?! All in a day's work though!

Well, I hope everyone has a thrivin' Thursday!

hog4life

I skipped yesterday's run, so will try for something this evening.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

I did some fast miles last night on the track and it felt good to run hard again. It seemed like forever. Tonight is the college fair so we are taking DD and after that I will run 35 minutes with some strides.

Bye for now.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Have fun with the torture device pilates, Damaris.

Enjoy the short, slow run, Jerry!

Sorry the PF is plaguing you still, Traci.  Hope you find your mojo soon to go run again....sorry, no kick in the pants from me....I just can't find it in myself to kick such a nice butt...

Actually, Brilliant, there were two cyclists coming along behind me and a couple of hikers coming toward me...and they were all cracking up.......oh, well....glad your toes are almost better....and luxuriate in your pedicure

Why do you get to lug all the stuff in, HsM?  Other folks in your chorus don't have equipment?  Or do y'all just take turns?  Hope you reward the sherpa!

Happy new carpets, Z!  Exchange student...how do you know it will be a girl?  Maybe a "new boyfriend" for your DD will show up...

Sounds like a very hectic time for you right now, Rach!  I miss my military days at times but I definitely don't miss the military recalls, exercises, deployments, etc....nice to be retired from all that!   Good luck with your finals!

When I'm out there after work doing my thing, Mitch, I'll think about you out there tonite too...so you better be out there!

Hope your DD finds what she wants at the college fair, Jack!  Good luck with your post-fair miles.

Singer who runs a smidge

I'm the chorus techno-woman.  If it involves technology, I'm apparently the only one who knows how to handle it.  This is why I handle the chorus website, FB page, Twitter feed, Meetup group, scrip program, YouTube channel, ordering of name badges and signage, and storage of the chorus projector. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Damaris - have fun at Pilates tonight.

Scotty - yesterday's run sounds like fun, except for the branch.  I've done that hiking:  I was looking at the rocks underfoot and ran into a branch that knocked me flat.  Hope tonight's doggy run is also a good one.

Jerry - are you doing a full taper, or just taking it easy the last few days?

Tracilynn - I'm glad your vacation was a good one.  Are you stretching and massaging your foot?  I hope you get your running mojo back before you lose the lovely autumn weather.

Brilliant - glad your toes are healing.

HopesMom - I'm surprised you have any time to sing, with all the responsibilities you've assumed. Have fun tonight.

Z - how long will you be hosting your exchange student?  Sounds like fun.  Are you looking forward to this weekend's run?

Rach - insanity plus run? You're ambitious!  Hope you do get your run in later.

Mitch - hope you get a good run in later.

Jack - how did your body handle the speedwork?  I'm so glad you're feeling good enough to try.

AFM:  rest day here.  We were going to go for a short hike, but the rain is supposed to return in an hour or so, so that may not happen.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: So far so good. Right now I have NO soreness or fatigue and I am ready for my run later tonight.