Beginners and Beyond

Thursday: And the beat goes on (Read 41 times)

Can we talk for a second about what type of wine this is? I may have to try some!

Add me to doing weird voodoo witch doctor dances to try to keep the plague away. Seems like everyone's got some form of "ick". (Hoping you feel better soon, Dave! You too, right, ZZY? Still sick?) Blue, your hands. They make me want to cry. OUCH!!!

I'm taking a SRD. Yesterday I did 7 miles, included in it were 10x400m @ 1:45 w/2min JR. Felt super fast. I fell off the pace with the last 3.

You do!  It's a Cabernet by Ménage à Trois, it's called Decadence, and it's 9.99 at Trader Joes.  Per the interwebz, you can get it for $8.97 at Walmart if you're willing to risk their parking lot.

I do not have a lot of love for the cabs, they make me do that involuntary frown face most of the time, but this was yum.  I got one of those aerator things that is supposed to fake-decant while you pour the wine (I have no patience for decanting for hours, and no one but me is drinking anyway, so it's a waste).  I used that to pour, and I let the glass sit for about 15 minutes before I started in on it.  I really liked it!

LRB

You do!  It's a Cabernet by Ménage à Trois, it's called Decadence, and it's 9.99 at Trader Joes.  Per the interwebz, you can get it for $8.97 at Walmart if you're willing to risk their parking lot.

I do not have a lot of love for the cabs, they make me do that involuntary frown face most of the time, but this was yum.  I got one of those aerator things that is supposed to fake-decant while you pour the wine (I have no patience for decanting for hours, and no one but me is drinking anyway, so it's a waste).  I used that to pour, and I let the glass sit for about 15 minutes before I started in on it.  I really liked it!

lol

Hello!

Checking in to make sure that Rick wasn't injured by the Detroit Meteor, all appears well. 

14 today with 10 at MP, first enjoyable (read: able to go fast without grimacing) run since a little calf tweak last Wednesday.

KCRuns

Hope your day improves! Sad. You’re doing f3 Saturday right? I guess there’s a women’s march that day that starts at 9 but not marching until 12:30.  How do you think parking and traffic getting down there will be? Soldier Field is normally a 1 hour 15 min drive for me but idk how much earlier I should leave. I could take Metra down but I would lose an hour and a half of sleep...

Thank you!  I've had a very productive day at work, just haven't been able to sneak off to the gym.

Yes, I'm doing the F3, too Smile  I think if you're parking at Soldier Field ($20), you should be just fine.  It's far enough away from Grant Park that the 2 events won't cross paths.  You won't be able to park in the neighborhood around Soldier Field though.  There's also a basketball game at the new Wintrust Arena which requires a special parking pass in your window that you can only get if you're a resident or business owner ($75 ticket if you risk it).  Here is parking info, looks like you can go from car to pre-race area without going outside  http://www.f3running.com/transportation/  Of course, if you go to Kroll's for the after party, you'll have to walk back over to Soldier Field to get your car.

Alternatively, book a spot using SpotHero or ParkWhiz.  I see garages around 11th & State, 11th & Michigan, that are $7-10, 1255 S. Michicagn Ave is perfect location.  If you book in advance, you don't have to worry about it and they are all about a 1 mile walk to Soldier Field and call it your warm up.

This article details street closures starting Friday night for the march, but it doesn't look like Lake Shore Drive would be affected, maybe just give yourself an extra 10-15 minutes as a cushion.  http://wgntv.com/2018/01/16/chicago-womens-march-2018-what-you-need-to-know/

Runshortii

Yes, I'm doing the F3, too Smile  I think if you're parking at Soldier Field ($20), you should be just fine.  It's far enough away from Grant Park that the 2 events won't cross paths.  You won't be able to park in the neighborhood around Soldier Field though.  There's also a basketball game at the new Wintrust Arena which requires a special parking pass in your window that you can only get if you're a resident or business owner ($75 ticket if you risk it).  Here is parking info, looks like you can go from car to pre-race area without going outside  http://www.f3running.com/transportation/  Of course, if you go to Kroll's for the after party, you'll have to walk back over to Soldier Field to get your car.

Okay cool, I can deal with that. The email said there’s construction on the lakefront path and they’re going to stay as close to the certified course as possible? I hope it still measures out to at least 13.1...

Bert-o

I lost my rama

14 today with 10 at MP, first enjoyable (read: able to go fast without grimacing) run since a little calf tweak last Wednesday.

Hi Jay.  That's a long MP run.  Do you have a race coming up soon?  Glad to hear your calf is better too.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

onemile

Okay cool, I can deal with that. The email said there’s construction on the lakefront path and they’re going to stay as close to the certified course as possible? I hope it still measures out to at least 13.1...

oh geez. At least they are letting you know ahead of time.

KCRuns

I didn't see that email yet, but it shouldn't be a dramatic difference.  The city is splitting the lake front path into 2 parts, 1 for runners/walkers and 1 for bikes.  So if we deviate on the path, it's just to the other part that is maybe 5-10 feet away.  It might not be the exact certified course, but it should be parallel. I know the organizer went out and ran the course this weekend, so hopefully she wore a gps watch to make sure it comes out right.

Runshortii

I didn't see that email yet, but it shouldn't be a dramatic difference.  The city is splitting the lake front path into 2 parts, 1 for runners/walkers and 1 for bikes.  So if we deviate on the path, it's just to the other part that is maybe 5-10 feet away.  It might not be the exact certified course, but it should be parallel. I know the organizer went out and ran the course this weekend, so hopefully she wore a gps watch to make sure it comes out right.

Oh that’s neat. Okay good, that doesn’t seem too bad

Cyberic

Hey Jay. Just checked your log to see what you were up to... You're on a 2 long runs per week schedule or what?

Runshortii

oh geez. At least they are letting you know ahead of time.

True. What would you wear for a HM that’ll be 35 with a windchill of 27 at the start? I’m thinking capri tights, a tank and arm warmers...thought about shorts but that might be a bit much. I just really really hate being too warm for races.

LRB

Hello!

Checking in to make sure that Rick wasn't injured by the Detroit Meteor, all appears well. 

There are scores of people trying to find it. At first the masses descended on Macomb County, where initial reports suggested it was. Then came reports that "projected" it landed more than 100 miles away, so they all took off like a scavenger hunt. lol

onemile

True. What would you wear for a HM that’ll be 35 with a windchill of 27 at the start? I’m thinking capri tights, a tank and arm warmers...thought about shorts but that might be a bit much. I just really really hate being too warm for races.

I would definitely wear shorts. With a short sleeve (or tank) and arm warmers.  At half marathon race pace I warm up pretty good

(I wore shorts with a light long sleeve for a marathon in 32 degrees and that felt perfect so at half marathon pace it might be too warm?)

Runshortii

I would definitely wear shorts. With a short sleeve (or tank) and arm warmers.  At half marathon race pace I warm up pretty good

(I wore shorts with a light long sleeve for a marathon in 32 degrees and that felt perfect so at half marathon pace it might be too warm?)

Good point. I wore tights and a long sleeve for a turkey day 10K this year in similar temps and was WAY too warm

Half Crazy K 2.0

Upper body strength training & core work.

Shortii, I went with capris and a light long sleeve for my half that started at 32 degrees or so. I'm much more comfortable in capris, so I'm biased. Is it supposed to be sunny?