Beginners and Beyond

Wednesdailies - the 9th (Read 42 times)

sdWhiskers

Question for the masses: has anyone ever run the Rock & Roll in Las Vegas?  I don't want to run this, but my husband wants to do it with a charity group.  I kind of had my sights set on the Ventura Marathon (still love that idea, thanks again for the tip!), and this is the same weekend.  Anyway, wondering how much of a clusterfuck this race is if you do the full.  I feel like Vegas is a never ending mob of people in my way wherever I want to be, so I am having a hard time imagining a marathon there being any different.  If anyone has any experience, I'm very curious.  If nothing else, the weather will probably be pretty good in November.  And I would not doing this as part of the charity group, I'll donate to someone else, but it's not my thing.

I've heard from multiple people that the RnR Vegas Half is fun but the Full is not good. Not sure if the course has changed recently but it's at the night and so when the Full splits off from the HM you are very much alone and working your way through not-exciting parts of Vegas.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Question for the masses: has anyone ever run the Rock & Roll in Las Vegas? 

I can't comment on the race, but if you do run there, be very careful about hydration.  I was in town on a conference once and just walking I got dehydrated.  Because it's so dry there, I didn't notice the heat (I'm from the east coast) and before I knew it my legs were cramping up.  A quick two bottles of water later and I was OK, but it was kind of scary how fast it happened.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Scotch Plains 5k, 6/12; Firecracker 4-miler, 7/4

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Workout Wednesday! 8.2 miles total with 2 x 1600, 2 x 800, ad 2 x 400 (with 90s recovery job between each). Hit all prescribed paces and even had to back off a little for some. That rarely happens for me so I was loving it! Feeling fitter for sure.

My company just announced that we are starting the process to acquire another similarly sized company (both are >20,000 people). Commence chaos at work...

What I hate is that merger/buy out normally leads to firing a large amount of people.  Good luck.

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

What I hate is that merger/buy out normally leads to firing a large amount of people.  Good luck.

+1

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have run the RnR Las Vegas Marathon.  They have changed the course and yes, the full takes you to more residential areas of Vegas after the split with the half.  There is no way they can hold a full in the small area of the strip anyway.  It was a nice race when I ran it, but I have run it there twice and it's super windy, especially in the full course.  last time I ran it, the winds reached 40mph in gusts and all the signs were falling down.  Here is a picture of my wonderful asthma-ful finish.  My face says it all (and hubby's).

Damaris

I've heard from multiple people that the RnR Vegas Half is fun but the Full is not good. Not sure if the course has changed recently but it's at the night and so when the Full splits off from the HM you are very much alone and working your way through not-exciting parts of Vegas.

YES.  They haven't set the 2018 course yet, but the 2017 course looks like someone was drunk when planning it and it's a bunch of loops through back alleys.

Fred, I'm always worried about dehydration because I sweat excessively compared to the average person.  This is at night, in November, so probably the best conditions you can get for the desert.  No sun has some benefits I guess.

I have run the RnR Las Vegas Marathon.  They have changed the course and yes, the full takes you to more residential areas of Vegas after the split with the half.  There is no way they can hold a full in the small area of the strip anyway.  It was a nice race when I ran it, but I have run it there twice and it's super windy, especially in the full course.  last time I ran it, the winds reached 40mph in gusts and all the signs were falling down.  Here is a picture of my wonderful asthma-ful finish.  My face says it all (and hubby's).

Well that's a big cup of NOPE.

I told hubs he needs to drill down on exactly how much it will really cost to do this "charity run" with the charity he's talking about.  He seems to think it's all inclusive.   As a threshold issue, I'm pretty sure he does not have the ability to raise $3,6000 and will have to pony up a lot of that to meet the charity donation requirement.  Also pretty sure hotel rooms are going to be REDONKULOUSLY expensive.  He seems to think there's kosher food all weekend as part of the charity group, and I'm 99.9% sure that if there actually is, you are going to pay through the nose for it.  And I cannot think of anything I'd rather not do than drive 6-7 hours home after that shit.  It's a terrible idea, but I'll let him figure that out for himself.

Cyberic

I have run the RnR Las Vegas Marathon and almost every medium to big sized marathon you can think of in the US.  They have changed the course and yes, the full takes you to more residential areas of Vegas after the split with the half.  There is no way they can hold a full in the small area of the strip anyway.  It was a nice race when I ran it, but I have run it there twice and it's super windy, especially in the full course.  last time I ran it, the winds reached 40mph in gusts and all the signs were falling down.  Here is a picture of my wonderful asthma-ful finish.  My face says it all (and hubby's).

FYP

Cyberic

Ah, I didn't realize the shower was not in the same building.  If you can rent a locker and keep the heavy shower stuff there, then clothes really aren't that heavy to carry in the summer.  You could also keep work clothes at work, and just carry shorts/t-shirt in your backpack for the 7 minute walk to the office and change when you get there.  When I committed to run commuting a few days a week, I invested in extra shower/makeup/hair stuff to leave at work and bought extra work clothes that I could leave in a drawer "just in case".  And my work shoes stay under my desk all the time, so I'm not carrying heavy shoes. If you don't have a physical job where you sweat or get dirty, at the end of the day when you change to run home, just leave your pants at work, so all you have to carry the next day is a shirt/underwear/socks, all light weight stuff.   I don't know, just trying to figure out a way to make it easier for you.

Turns out I can "borrow" a locker, for free. I was asking the person at the desk during my lunch break, and the manager showed up and offered me that (to lend me a locker). He said that I'm such a good client... (been a member there for 18 years. Used to play badminton, and then volleyball before I started running). That is sooo cool!

All I need to optimize now is the food carrying thing.

Oh and I ran about 5 miles with a 6K Tempo portion. Run not uploaded yet, forgot my phone at home.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I told hubs he needs to drill down on exactly how much it will really cost to do this "charity run" with the charity he's talking about.  He seems to think it's all inclusive.   As a threshold issue, I'm pretty sure he does not have the ability to raise $3,6000 and will have to pony up a lot of that to meet the charity donation requirement.  Also pretty sure hotel rooms are going to be REDONKULOUSLY expensive.  He seems to think there's kosher food all weekend as part of the charity group, and I'm 99.9% sure that if there actually is, you are going to pay through the nose for it.  And I cannot think of anything I'd rather not do than drive 6-7 hours home after that shit.  It's a terrible idea, but I'll let him figure that out for himself.

I actually stayed at the Aria one of the years and it was cheap (less than $150/night).  Last time we stayed at the Rio and that was close to the finish line and super accessible.  We are planning on running it in 2019 to renew our vows mid race since it will be our 20th anniversary. Smile

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris

sdWhiskers

We flew to Vegas the last time rather than drive and it was the BEST decision. Cheap and quick. Leaving Vegas by car is torture, especially on holiday weekends and I'm assuming marathon weekend.

Cyberic

And Cy, 1) I'm tres jealous of your metabolistic abilities, being a shortie has some drawbacks and low BMR is one of them; and 2) I think it's hilarious that you refer to your lady as a sherpa, and I'm pretty sure that she would laugh if she heard it.  She sounds cool.

I'm so envious.  My metabolism seems to slow down a notch every 10 years no matter what I do.  Nowadays I have to live vicariously by watching my teenager eat.  When the mood hits him, he can destroy a stack of 5 pancakes and be getting seconds before I'm even halfway through a stack of 3.

I get what you guys are saying, as I've never had to think twice about eating anything.

But it does have an aesthetic drawback. I'm no poster boy. I'm really tall, really slim, long neck, small head. For the vast majority of girls, I'm not "their type", you know. Everytime someone tells me they know someone as tall as me, they always follow up with "but much bigger", and that's a good thing, as tall and big means strong. Tall and skinny means... something less positive.

I would take an extra 30 pounds right now if you offered it. It would slow down my running, but I would take it for the looks.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I would take an extra 30 pounds right now if you offered it. It would slow down my running, but I would take it for the looks.

If you took the 30 pounds I have to offer, I doubt it would improve your looks.  

sdWhiskers

I get what you guys are saying, as I've never had to think twice about eating anything.

But it does have an aesthetic drawback. I'm no poster boy. I'm really tall, really slim, long neck, small head. For the vast majority of girls, I'm not "their type", you know. Everytime someone tells me they know someone as tall as me, they always follow up with "but much bigger", and that's a good thing, as tall and big means strong. Tall and skinny means... something less positive.

A good friend is 6'6" and 250ish lbs. He looks like Ben Roethlisberger. He's pretty fit but can't run a mile without ankle, knee, hip, etc pain. He's only good for basketball and volleyball.

His secret to keeping the weight on? A giant plate of nachos before bed each night.

You're welcome