Beginners and Beyond

2013 Tyler Rose HM - RR (Read 79 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

This race has been on my schedule for half a year or more. Originally it was intended to be a goal race, but as I trained and followed my running coach, plans changed. I decided to move my goal HM to early December falling at the end of my plan, meaning this was still a 'run hard' race.

Since the race fell squarely in the middle of my plan, I asked my coach about taper and approach to the race. "Train through it, don't taper."  Um ok? and I think man this is going to suck. I had been feeling a bit of fatigue and it was only going to get worse and right before a race. I have to say, I had serious doubts a few days before the race though I followed the advice given. This race was after all, no longer a goal.  So I was to treat it as a hard training run.

Did I fail to mention this course does not have a flat spot on it?

I think they hit every hill in Tyler.

Race goals:

1. Training run/ race - run by feel and see where I am.

2. PR possibly?

3. Confidence boost by running on tired legs and executing a successful race.

Based on a few factors I decided to aim for a 6:45/ 6:50 pace.

Short report:

1:30:28, 7th place O/A (941 finishers), 2nd A/G 40-44.  Hill! and fatigued sausage feeling legs didn't keep me back from a 5:41 PR!

Long report:

My DW and I arrived on site in plenty of time for her to take a short nap/ rest and me to wander around and relax. This was a dual event, full and half with the full marathoners kicking off at 7:30 and we halfers going out at 8:00. I coaxed a reluctant DW to a 1.5 mile warm up run up and down the first set of hills. Humidity was very high and I was soaking before we returned to the start line.

Race start - 8:00 am, 70F, 100% humidity, solid cloud cover
    I lined up a row or two back, there seemed to be quite a bit of last minute front line joiners that ended up pushing some of the positions around.  Based on my DWs training, I advised the start near the 1:50 pace group and hang with them until it cleared out a bit.

Mile 1 - 6:46
    I knew this was a gamble, but I went with my gut and headed out at the start on what felt like a slow and comfortable pace.  I hit my 1/2 mile mark at 3:19, pretty good and nearly on pace, no adjustment needed.

Mile 2 - 6:48
    As mile 2 rolled around I could already feel the fatigue in my legs. I didn't have much spring, they felt heavy and this was just starting. My air is great, though the humidity means I fog my shades with each exhale. Pace is right on target.

Mile 3 - 7:02
    This entire mile has been a slow slog uphill, 60' rise in a mile is not much, but it is constant. Sometime during this mile my sausage legs became heavier.

Mile 4 - 6:55
    Finishing the remainder of the mile+ long hill I get some downhill to recover and gain my time back. Its early in the race and I have plenty of time. My air is still great, legs have quit griping and everything has seemed to relax into place. Kicking up the hills and recovering on the way down. 

Mile 5 - 0:00 -  approx (6:50)
    I somehow missed this mile marker or it wasn't present. Regardless, mile 5 had quite a few turns through a neighborhood with multiple smaller hills. All added up to a ton of energy spent going up and down. My first turn at the aid station with a quick splash of water, no slowing. I dropped at least one if not two runners here as they pulled over for fluids. I am feeling my legs again and they are not happy.

Mile 6 - 13:37 -  approx (6:50)
    I hit this marker and checked the combined times noting that this is on mark approximately 6:45 min/ mile for miles 5 & 6. Overall tired starting creeping in, so I kicked in half a dozen strides and it worked for a time.

Mile 7 - 8:47 -  approx (6:50)
    Checking my manual Timex Ironman, I am in shock at my split, especially in light of the prior two miles. I don't feel like I had dropped 2 mines off my pace. I ignore it chalking it up to misplaced mile markers. I have dropped another runner, my air is good but my legs are griping at me and they feel thick again.

Mile 8 - 0:00 -  approx (6:50)
    Trucking along, I again missed the mile marker or it simply did not exist. It really doesn't matter at this point.

Mile 9 - 11:48 -  approx (6:50) - (approx. 9:01 am, 71F, 97% humidity)
    This long down hill is a blessing, I ease my breathing and work on gliding, doing my best to recover and get ready for the next dozen set of hills. The mile markers are definitely misplaced. (approximated splits based on time)

Mile 10 - 7:05
    I finally get a marker that I feel good about and my split reflects it. The lack of taper is really starting to make itself known, but I am not giving in yet. 

Mile 11 - 6:53
    The demons are still at bay, but this third mile 70 foot climb made them scream louder. I can feel weakness in my legs and air is just now beginning to be a little tougher. 

Mile 12 - 7:02
    A series of short hill repeats feel not so good. But I am holding my own and have been gaining ground, dropping another runner. I saw him check his 6 for this entire mile, when I closed I knew why when I heard his breathing.

Mile 13 - 7:10
    This mile contained both the worst downhill and uphill of the entire race. I didn't recover on the downhill though I tried and the uphill sucked. Long, worn uneven pavement, steeper but smooth concrete apron and a mile long sight-line meant it was a mental hammer, leaving me with little left for a pick-up in the last 600m.

Mile 13.1  - 30 seconds (9:30 am,  71F, 99% humidity)

The last 0.1 went quick and I managed a 100m strong kick.

Finish time:
    1:30:28 a PR by 5:41
    2nd A/G 40-44, 7th place O/A

The race was a great boost in confidence. I couldn't have been more pleased

DWs finish time:

Shortly after I cheered my DW in as she finished at 1:52:54 a PR by 2:00.

A great race experience and day for both of us,

hog4life

Nice run, congrats to both of you.

Zelanie

Congratulations on a great race over a very tough course!  Sounds like you are aiming towards a great goal HM in December!  Congrats to DW as well. Smile

Antipodean

Great races for both of you, a speedy running couple. Way to go!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Hip Redux

Holy crap, 1:30 on a bumpy course with no taper?  What's your goal for December?

PADRunner

Hell of a training run!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good job Sly! Looks like your training is reaping the benefits - 5:41 PR is an awesome time savings!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

happylily

Congratulations! You both did extremely well. You are one fast guy!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Thanks all, and agreed a serious training run!

Oski,

My goal is to be faster!

But so far training, testing predictions put me in the low 1:20s.  We shall see how this next 7 weeks go.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Tired legs?! I don't believe it! Man, you nailed it!!  There was not one flat bit on that course and you were smokin' fast! I'm no expert but I think you ran a near perfect race. Well done, Sly.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Wow that's fast, and impressive on hills with tired legs.  Sounds like your wife executed a well run race as well.  Great job!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Ric-G

wow that is some great stuff....congrats and it looks like faster times are ahead...good luck with continued training too...congrats to your wife as well!

marathon pr - 3:16

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Dang that's fast! Congrats on a great race even though it's in the middle of your training (!). Congrats to your wife too, a PR is something to savor!

- Andrew

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job,Congrats!

Damaris

LRB

I knew you had skill but did not realize you were on that level, that is pretty impressive!  In 70 degree temps, my ass would have flamed out.

Are you following a customized plan from your coach or something commercial?