Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #192 (Read 26 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I was curious about Delware's numbers. Granted, it is a really small state, but they have fewer cases than either of the 2 highest counties in MD. I think the bigger issue is the beaches. People went on vacation and acted stupid, so the bars were closed. I'm waiting for a spike here since the MD beach bars did not close and depending where you stay in DE, it's a quick drive into MD.

DavePNW

One of the counties here is trying to add outdoor spaces (like bars/restaurants) to the mask required. It sounds like they will be looking to enforce it in the evening.

How can you require masks in a space where people will be eating & drinking?

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

How can you require masks in a space where people will be eating & drinking?

IDK. I guess the idea is take it off to eat or drink, but don't be an ass who gives your order to the server without a mask cause you have a beer in front of you?

bluerun

Super B****

Well 30 ft outside is not only excessive, but who the hell has a feel for what 30 ft looks like?

Seems that nobody knows what six feet looks like either

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Half Crazy K 2.0

There was a meme about how guys also don't know what 8 inches looks like, so how can they possibly figure out 6 feet.

DavePNW

IDK. I guess the idea is take it off to eat or drink, but don't be an ass who gives your order to the server without a mask cause you have a beer in front of you?

I think any situation where a mask has to be repeatedly removed & put back on becomes untenable and somewhat defeats the purpose of masks. I think the idea is you wear your mask into the restaurant and while being led to your table, but once you are sitting it can be off. A bar situation where there is more mingling between various groups seems inherently more unsafe and probably a bad idea in general.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

There was a meme about how guys also don't know what 8 inches looks like, so how can they possibly figure out 6 feet.

I saw that!

But I mean ... even places that have tape placed on the sidewalk for social distancing don't have those strips six feet apart. What's the point of putting it there??

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

Either they don’t know or don’t care, but at least a reasonable person is able to guesstimate it.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Bars shouldn't be open in full, though. Here they are at 50% and no standing room in the bar. So every other seat has to be empty no standing room. In those cases, you technically are mingling with your little group on a table like a restaurant.

Damaris

DavePNW

I saw that!

But I mean ... even places that have tape placed on the sidewalk for social distancing don't have those strips six feet apart. What's the point of putting it there??

Well there’s nothing magic about 6 feet vs 5 or 7. Enforcing some kind spacing is better than none.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Either they don’t know or don’t care, but at least a reasonable person is able to guesstimate it.

Then they should be able to multiply that by five 

chasing the impossible

Half Crazy K 2.0

I think any situation where a mask has to be repeatedly removed & put back on becomes untenable and somewhat defeats the purpose of masks. I think the idea is you wear your mask into the restaurant and while being led to your table, but once you are sitting it can be off. A bar situation where there is more mingling between various groups seems inherently more unsafe and probably a bad idea in general.

Agreed. I would think wear it until your order is taken since that's when you're likely to be in closest contact with the server. Just seems like the polite thing to do.

Yea, indoor bars just seem like a bad idea right now. Plus, why bother with the whole driving & worrying about a DWI when you can get take out drinks from the bar?

DavePNW

Bars shouldn't be open in full, though. Here they are at 50% and no standing room in the bar. So every other seat has to be empty no standing room. In those cases, you technically are mingling with your little group on a table like a restaurant.

Yeah the distinction between a bar and restaurant is a gray area, but it only makes any kind of sense to operate in the restaurant model described.

Dave

DavePNW

Then they should be able to multiply that by five 

But what if their Garmin shows 30.01 feet but Strava shows 29.99?

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

But what if their Garmin shows 30.01 feet but Strava shows 29.99?

That's worth a $500 fine obviously

chasing the impossible