Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Toasty & Roasty (Read 40 times)

onemile

I love that guy, your stories about him are so funny.

lol me too. he's super obnoxious and ridiculous and somehow makes the worst runs fun.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I can just picture it now.. banging on his door trying to get him up because he drank too much the night before 

Ha, I can see that happen and if we get to go, I hope I'm not staying next door to him. Big grin

Damaris

DavePNW

I’m including Starbucks kiosks in grocery stores, I assume that counts.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Or at Target!

Damaris

LRB

Same here, I just know when my glutes hurt....

I tried it some years ago and it lasted all of one run. It was the dumbest shit ever. Like trying to run fast taking baby steps or trying to run slow taking giant steps. You run how you run. The people who "run using their glutes", run using their glutes. It's how they run. If you started running with your glutes then you're not running how you run (which may or may not be an issue).

Getting the glutes to "fire" is like touching your toes without bending your knees, it would be great if you could do it but it's not stopping you from running.

LRB

Yes.

My time to a Starbucks is measured in the minutes it takes to drive there, which is under 10. It would be nice if it was walkable but a boy can't have everything he wants. 

onemile

I go to Sbux maybe once a year.. I have a gift card from last Christmas that I haven't used yet.  There are two within 2 miles of my house and one right across the street from my work. But I don't find it to be anything special ?

sdWhiskers

I tried it some years ago and it lasted all of one run. It was the dumbest shit ever. Like trying to run fast taking baby steps or trying to run slow taking giant steps. You run how you run. The people who "run using their glutes", run using their glutes. It's how they run. If you started running with your glutes then you're not running how you run (which may or may not be an issue).

Getting the glutes to "fire" is like touching your toes without bending your knees, it would be great if you could do it but it's not stopping you from running.

I do glute strength exercises quite regularly. But I keep seeing stuff about how you need to get them activated before you run and wtf does that mean? Like I can run using or not using my glutes? Sounds like nonsense. Seems like either your glutes are weak or stronger which can have different effects but you can't just turn those muscles on/off.

LRB

Those are taco shops here.

Speaking of that; I had a coworker once who was from SD and he used to go on and on and on and on about how fish tacos were so great. It was as if regular tacos didn't even exist. What are your thoughts on that?

DavePNW

Speaking of that; I had a coworker once who was from SD and he used to go on and on and on and on about how fish tacos were so great. It was as if regular tacos didn't even exist. What are your thoughts on that?

Fish tacos are awesome. Like anything, some are better than others. Out here what’s popular are taco trucks.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I do glute strength exercises quite regularly. But I keep seeing stuff about how you need to get them activated before you run and wtf does that mean? Like I can run using or not using my glutes? Sounds like nonsense. Seems like either your glutes are weak or stronger which can have different effects but you can't just turn those muscles on/off.

And to me, if you can walk, they are activated.  Doh.

Damaris

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I go to Sbux maybe once a year.. I have a gift card from last Christmas that I haven't used yet.  There are two within 2 miles of my house and one right across the street from my work. But I don't find it to be anything special ?

To go a step further, I actively avoid them! I've never had a good experience there, and only go when the g/f is desperately in need of one (she does not share my distaste for the place).

As for the glutes, I'm LRB's camp. If you run enough, I really think your body will find its most efficient running form. That being said, drills like "A Skips" and "B Skips" are great exercises, if you're motivated enough and coordinated enough to go through them and really looking to improve your form.

I always felt like I got more mileage from thinking about the tilt of my pelvis as a form trigger than I did from actively trying to engage my glutes. Running consciously and being aware of your form can be great as an exercise, but it can also make running a tiresome chore if you're always focused on mechanics.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Played a round of golf in Cabo in 2006...they had free fish tacos at the turn. They were good enough that I'm still talking about them in 2019. If his experience was like mine, I get it. This is coming from a man that is obsessed with Mexican food and tacos of any form, so I feel like I'm speaking from a well-informed position.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

You are right, it isn't anything special. It comes down to tastes and preferences. I like full, thick, bold coffee. Some coffees are thin, light or lack body. When traveling abroad, Starbucks takes the guesswork out of finding what I prefer. That's the simplest way to explain it.

LRB

There was an article once that went deep into the reasons why it makes sense (I'll try to dig that up later). I'm a practical guy and if something makes sense, I'll try it, so I did. It was just too much going on with it; tip the pelvis downwards, squeeze the glutes from the inside out, release the thighs, soften the knees. I must've looked like I was holding a wine cork with my butt cheeks and an apple between my knees. lol

The only way I can describe it is it was just too much thinking. But again, if you can make it work, it totally makes sense.