Beginners and Beyond

THURSDAILIES Underpromise and Overdeliver (Read 41 times)

happylily

6 miles done. That's all I could manage. But I did them at tempo, since I had to skip my workout on Tuesday due to the flu. 7:11 pace avg. I think the low mileage this week helped.

Has anyone heard about the Boston bomber possibly going on death row? Is death penalty ruled by states or is it federal?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

What a great day for a run!! So lovely and mild at 22 f  sunny and no wind! Roads still had lots of ice but

Also had some clear patches because we havent had snow since Wednesday.

Haven't had a running day this  good in 2 months. Smile

I was actually able to get in some intervals on the road.  2 miles @ 10:10 for a warm up then 

4.25 miles with speed sections, average pace for the run 9:30. Total 6.25 miles.

Hip Redux

6 miles done. That's all I could manage. But I did them at tempo, since I had to skip my workout on Tuesday due to the flu. 7:11 pace avg. I think the low mileage this week helped.

Has anyone heard about the Boston bomber possibly going on death row? Is death penalty ruled by states or is it federal?

Federal.  Massachusetts does not have the death penalty.

happylily

Federal.  Massachusetts does not have the death penalty.

So some states have death penalty and some don't, but the federal has power over death penalty even if the crime was in a state that does not have it. Is that it?

Hip Redux

So some states have death penalty and some don't, but the federal has power over death penalty even if the crime was in a state that does not have it. Is that it?

If the crime is a federal crime (terrorism/use of weapon of mass destruction) then the federal criminal system takes precedence, doesn't matter what state the crime occurred in.   For non-federal crimes (like  regular ol' murder), the state laws on death penalty are in effect.

I'm sure there are some nuances I'm missing, but that's about it.

happylily

If the crime is a federal crime (terrorism/use of weapon of mass destruction) then the federal criminal system takes precedence, doesn't matter what state the crime occurred in.   For non-federal crimes (like  regular ol' murder), the state laws on death penalty are in effect.

Ha! Sounds fair to me...

WTF, indeed, Damaris.

Marjorie, terrific 10.1.

Dave, nice nine.

Don't knock the improved weather.

Yugo18, awesome 7.5.

Lily, sweet six. My family votes to send him to my dad's Spartan village. Folks there don't play.

Beth, wonderful 6.25. Weights, push-ups, and ab work are done. I decided to run twice tomorrow, instead of doing the AMT tonight and running in the morning tomorrow.

LRB

You are pretty much right on it babe, as usual!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Ha! Sounds fair to me...

He would definitely get whacked in Texas.  Texas has executed more criminals than any other state.   I dunno..is that a good thing or a bad thing?   We Texans sure think we are a power unto ourselves all right, lol, since we are one of the states that was its own country before becoming a state (California and Hawaii being the other two, if  I remember my history correctly, but maybe I don't).

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

6 is the miles I ran, 5 is the number of assholes I had to yell at or show them the finger after they almost hit me.  Rolling stops, running lights, blocking the crosswalk and then telling me they have the right to be there, it's just a normal day in Miami.  I know it was rush hour but why the rush?

Trixie is 50 points off from a normal liver.  Very happy she is basically done with treatment.  Rubio had a great dental cleaning but after asking her to do an Xray of Rubio's leg, we found he has hip displasia.  It's only arthritis but we'll deal with it when it gets to be too painful for him.  Right now, he just limps.  He must have fallen or was hit by a car while still a stray.  Too bad he couldn't show them the middle paw.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This is true.  Having said that, the DOJ wanted to impose the death penalty in PR when it is unconstitutional according to the "state" law.  That was a huge scandal a few years ago and the answer was NO.  So it takes precedence unless it violates the constitution of that state.

But if the state constitution is silent, then yes.

Damaris

happylily

He would definitely get whacked in Texas.  Texas has executed more criminals than any other state.   I dunno..is that a good thing or a bad thing?   We Texans sure think we are a power unto ourselves all right, lol, since we are one of the states that was its own country before becoming a state (California and Hawaii being the other two, if  I remember my history correctly, but maybe I don't).

Scotty, I'm personally, morally, against death penalty, but my SO is in favor of it. It has been abolished in Canada for quite a while, now. I think it's so personal that one shouldn't judge someone else for his stand on it. But you are not Texan by birth, are you?

LRB

Texas has executed more criminals than any other state.   I dunno..is that a good thing or a bad thing? 

One thing it is not apparently is a deterrent to crime.  lol

Yugo18

Scotty, I'm personally, morally, against death penalty, but my SO is in favor of it. It has been abolished in Canada for quite a while, now. I think it's so personal that one shouldn't judge someone else for his stand on it. But you are not Texan by birth, are you?

+1 times a thousand on being opposed to it.  There are often times I wish we could be more like you guys in Canada more uniformly.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

+1 times a thousand on being opposed to it.  There are often times I wish we could be more like you guys in Canada more uniformly.

Agreed.

Damaris