Beginners and Beyond

It's New Years Eve Penguins! (Read 17 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Rolled the ITB and strolled on the elliptical for an hour.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I've seriously not really run at all in December.  This is horrible and my clothes are tight.  Holiday food + minimal running = one jiggly woman.  Anyway, hubby pointed out that if I run 4.8 miles today I'll end up with 1357.9 miles for the year... so since I'm into numbers that might be happening shortly.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

PAD - good job on the elliptical.  Any improvement in the knee?

Jill - have you ever done the New Year's Eve run in the park?  I heard that's a fun one.  1357 is a good mileage for the year.  Be proud!

I'll do six or so in a little while.  I thought about doing 8.3 to make my miles an even number (1950), but don't care that much.  I passed my 1800 mile goal, and my December mileage is an all time monthly high, so I probably won't push it.

Zelanie

Hi pens!  Tonight there is a group trail run up to the top of a local hill.  The plan is to run up there by midnight, then run back down.  I guess that's one way to start the new year's miles early!  It will be in the mid-20s, and I haven't run outside in a couple of weeks, so I guess I'd better bundle up!

PAD- Good job getting the stretching and elliptical done!

Jill- That's a cool number to end on- good luck!

Ginny- Have a good run!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  I will lift weights tonight after work.  Working normal hours today.  Meh.

Damaris

PADRunner

PAD - good job on the elliptical.  Any improvement in the knee?

The knee is ok as long as I don't run. Smile I'll try again Sunday probably.

I have to Work tonight, but it's no big deal. I'd probably just be sitting at home anyway. I would like to run a 5k tomorrow but not this year.

GinnyinPA

If you run it tomorrow, it won't be this year, it will be next year ;-)

SheCan

So it looks like Ginny's the only one getting miles today?

I actually planned on running, but I messed around for a long time, until a friend called & invited me shopping & to lunch, so I ended up showering & going with her.  Sometimes making room for friends is better than running!   Haven't decided what's up for tonight yet, we may just sit around and watch movies which would be alright with me.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Philliefan33

Happy New Year's Eve, everyone!  We don't have any plans for tonight-- it will just be DH and I here watching football and trying (but failing) to stay up to see the ball drop in NYC.

I bumped up my LR from 6 miles to 7.5 miles today. My target was 7 miles, but my Nike watch never did find a satellite so I estimated the distance as best I could while I was out there and mapped it when I got back. It was nice weather, 45 degrees and partly sunny with a bit of wind. There were a lot of runners and cyclists on the path.  I felt good for most of the run, bit had a little knee pain coming downhill towards the end. I realized I was braking instead of letting my legs go; once I let my feet fly the knee pain abated.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

1357.9 miles = done for the year... =P  This month was 42.9 miles = my lowest mileage month of the year by a whole lot.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

So it looks like Ginny's the only one getting miles today?

I will have 4 or so up the hill at 11 PM.

Robert31320

Team TJ

I started 2015 by running 3 miles on New Years Day.

I end 2015 by running 2 miles on New Years Eve.

There has been a whole lot of lazy in between but I shall fix that in 2016. I can't undo what I didn't do but I can surely do better in the future. Just do it.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Philliefan33

There has been a whole lot of lazy in between but I shall fix that in 2016. I can't undo what I didn't do but I can surely do better in the future. Just do it.

I'm right there with you, Robert!  I ran only 550 miles in 2015, with 160 of them coming in November and December.

Did you join the "2016 in 2016" running game?  I did, hoping that I won't get lazy if I am held accountable by my team.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

I ran 4.3 miles today with 6x400 at 5k pace. It felt good and I hope to have a good HM on Sunday. Happy New Year to everyone and here's to an injury free 2016.