Beginners and Beyond

Bone Chilling FriDAILIES (Read 37 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nuke vest.  All of the cool kids wear them.  So do me and Dave.

Yeah, my club is gung ho about them. I like to run in the dark, lol.

Coming from a place where people would do bad things to you if they see you running, I have been used to running ninja style and just use a light when I need to look at the road (for not falling purposes).

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

I'll give you credit for sticking with it. My brain just found it confusing to "kick" from the hips!

Yeah, so you know how there are runners who are all dogmatic about "heel striking is the worst thing ever"? Lots of divers are the same way about kicking. Except that there actually is merit to that since it's more efficient not to use a bicycle kick, but whatever. I'm probably doing some weird combo of frog kicking and bicycle kicking. Unless I want to move fast (like... chasing dolphins!), in which case I'll flutter kick, which I CAN do without bending my knees, but that is exhausting. Guess at which point that happened.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

It feels like 92F in Miami right now.  I am loving this weather. Ran in 28F last night and loved every minute of it in the dark.  And I can breathe fine which is a lot to say compared to Miami.  How low can I go? We shall see!

And coincidentally, I dressed like you would in 50s 

25 degrees here this morning. I was dressed similar to that (probably a little less, because I want to be cold when I jog to work so I don't sweat), and definitely in a less fashionable way.

Cyberic

Nuke vest.  All of the cool kids wear them.  So do me and Dave.

I wear a headlamp. A very comfy headlamp designed for runners, so the weight is evenly distributed. When I only want to be seen, I dim the front light as low as it goes, so people still see me and I don't blind them, and there's a red light on the battery pack in the back of the head, that can stay solid, or blink. I look like a dork, but I don't know which is worse between me and the nuke vest 

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_CA/headlamps-and-lanterns/sprinter-headlamp-BD620630SBLUALL1.html

sdWhiskers

Yeah, my club is gung ho about them. I like to run in the dark, lol.

Coming from a place where people would do bad things to you if they see you running, I have been used to running ninja style and just use a light when I need to look at the road (for not falling purposes).

Hopefully you at least stay out of the traffic lanes when dressed all in black! Since the time change, there have been 3 different incidents involving car and pedestrian or biker in my neighborhood.

sdWhiskers

RD.

A cool 58 degrees here, brrrr! (just kidding)

I bought a new pair of gloves last week, the $3 knit ones that might be made for children. I probably need them 5-6 times each year.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I run on the road but my neighborhood has pretty wide streets and the sidewalk is right by me where I can hop if needed.  I don't feel afraid of being run over here and I turn on my hand lamp when a car approaches so they can see me.  But they don't need to see me all the time.  I know eventually I'll get over the fear of being kidnapped, shot at or killed, but today is not that day, lol.

Damaris

onemile

I wear a headlamp. A very comfy headlamp designed for runners, so the weight is evenly distributed. When I only want to be seen, I dim the front light as low as it goes, so people still see me and I don't blind them, and there's a red light on the battery pack in the back of the head, that can stay solid, or blink. I look like a dork, but I don't know which is worse between me and the nuke vest 

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_CA/headlamps-and-lanterns/sprinter-headlamp-BD620630SBLUALL1.html

that's the one I have

LRB

Yeah, so you know how there are runners who are all dogmatic about "heel striking is the worst thing ever"? Lots of divers are the same way about kicking. Except that there actually is merit to that since it's more efficient not to use a bicycle kick, but whatever. I'm probably doing some weird combo of frog kicking and bicycle kicking. Unless I want to move fast (like... chasing dolphins!), in which case I'll flutter kick, which I CAN do without bending my knees, but that is exhausting. Guess at which point that happened.

I see it. lol

Cyberic

that's the one I have

Not the brightest, but I like it. I don't have the same reflective vest, though. You win!

LRB

I've been needing a pair of 28 - 32 degree gloves for over two years now. 

Success! And I can return them if necessary. #winning

Funny how most of the ones I tried on I knew immediately they wouldn't work. That's were the convenience of online shopping has its biggest downside and a major reason I won't buy gloves or sunglasses online ever again.

LRB

I don't run in a vest, I use the shoe lights instead. They work fine for the area I run in. I wouldn't mind having some knuckle lights however, but I would only need them for about a half mile so I just tough it out.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't run in a vest, I use the shoe lights instead. They work fine for the area I run in. I wouldn't mind having some knuckle lights however, but I would only need them for about a half mile so I just tough it out.

That's what I use, knuckle lights.  They are amazing.

Damaris

LRB

Oh, and I appreciate the Cyborg being mindful of the light his lamp puts out. Them things have me ready to haul ass in the other direction sometimes because I can't make out what the hell it is.

Cyberic

Oh, and I appreciate the Cyborg being mindful of the light his lamp puts out. Them things have me ready to haul ass in the other direction sometimes because I can't make out what the hell it is.

I know, right? I see some bikes equipped with a flashing light so bright I have to look away. It's usually just casual people on bikes, too. I can see the scene in the store with the seller going "It's important to be seen. The brighter the better. Flashing catches the eye more. Here, buy this. It's the brightest we've got. You'll be seen 3 miles away. Oh and I recommend changing the batteries after each use, and carrying some on you."