Beginners and Beyond

Pfitz 18/55 (Read 158 times)

LRB

Just B.S. - I'm with you on the flying ... I don't like crowded spaces all that much and cannot get comfortable to sleep on a plane - even transatlantic flights. My wife, on the other hand can fall asleep within a minute of takeoff and sleep soundly for the entire flight.

I do not care for flying either.  I focus on my destination, and the things that I will be doing after the flight.  Everything that happens before that is viewed as a necessary action to get me to that point.

No it doesn't help when you hit turbulence while flying over the Rockies, but it is better than being scared shitless for the entire flight.

DavePNW

Just B.S. - I'm with you on the flying ... I don't like crowded spaces all that much and cannot get comfortable to sleep on a plane - even transatlantic flights. My wife, on the other hand can fall asleep within a minute of takeoff and sleep soundly for the entire flight.

That's me & my DW on a plane. I don't actually have a problem with flying, I do it plenty, but there is never any sleeping for me. DW can sleep anywhere, anytime, it's a gift. For transatlantic/pacific flights, I discovered Ambien, it's a wonderful thing. I don't use it for regular insomnia (which I also get plenty of), but it is key for sleeping on planes as well as at your destination when jetlagged.

Happy birthday too! Mine is in 2 days, but I think I am slightly ahead of you chronologically speaking.

Dave

paulski66

miscreant

I think it depends on where a person is when they start the plan, not all first time marathoners are the same.

Edit: But lily has a point, it is called 'advanced" for a reason.

Yes, but...

I think a lot of people look at the 55 and think, "Well, I was running 45/week at the end of my HM training, so I should be able to do this no problem. " Pfitz ramps your volume up pretty quickly, and throws in a lot of intensity, more than many first time marathoners are used to, and maintains that for a relatively long time.

I used Pfitz for my second marathon, and while I BQ'd, I remember feeling that I was just getting my ass kicked some weeks. For the first, I would recommend something like a Higdon Intermediate, maybe with some miles thrown in, so that one feels like they're a bit more in control of the plan.

Yes, Pfitz is doable for a first timer, but I worry about burn out.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Ric-G

this sounds right. and it does take a while for the average runner to absorb all of this the first time out. not saying it can't be done, but it usually takes a couple of cycles to get it right. by the way, good luck on your marathon bruce.

Lots of good advice has already been given but I'll throw in my perspective after just now completing his 18/70 for the first time.

1. Buy the book (paper version) over the Kindle. I actually started with the Kindle and then ordered the book as well because the charts and figures are just better in the printed copy.
          2. Read, then re-read, then read again the descriptions of the workouts and their purpose. Pfitz does a great job of breaking down WHY you do each workout and then WHY he periodizes them into the different mesocycles. You don't have to fully understand it all, but recognizing that it is purposefully constructed makes a huge difference.
          3. Run your recovery paced runs at recovery pace ... even if your legs feel like going. 
          4. I loved the speed-work (intervals and tempo runs) in the plan. Though they're tough workouts they leave you feeling amazingly strong and fast. Also, begin those workouts at the slower end of your pace range and finish stronger on the last one. Generally, when I finished mine, I was thankful that there wasn't one more interval or one more tempo-pace mile left. (though I surely would have done them to satisfy my OCD)
          5. Run your recovery paced runs slower ... yes, it's that important that I'm repeating myself.
          6. I actually found the toughest part of the plan was the mid-week MLR, but purely from a time perspective. It can be difficult to make the time to run that one with work & family.
          7. I was most scared of the LR with a portion @ marathon pace. However, I never had a problem in hitting my paces on those runs and they turned out to be real confidence boosters.
          8. Like Lily said, most folks modify Pfitz's plans and that was true with me. I actually added a very easy recovery--ish paced run on Monday (Pfitz's rest/cross day) What I found was that it rejuvenated my legs after Sunday's long run and really got me ready for the week's workouts. The key to Pfitz is really seeing the quality workouts each week and then making sure your body is prepared to actually do quality work on that day.
          9. Don't neglect proper nutrition, post-run stretching/rolling and core/strength work during the plan. Following one of Pfitz's training plans can leave you tired and not feeling like taking even more time to workout/stretch. In the long run, it's worth the few extra minutes of time.

Well, that got longer than I intended ... but I am on taper so cut a guy some slack. Wink

marathon pr - 3:16