Beginners and Beyond

Windy Weekend Penguins (Read 19 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

A cold front is blowing in this morning. 53 and falling, it was 57 10 minutes ago. Wind at 13 gust to 25 whistling through the front door.. Supposed to have our first freeze overnight. Winters here.

I have 10 this morning debating on indoors or out. And a 5k through the Christmas lights tonight.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I might add "Snowy" to that title PAD.

We will be running inside again.  Distance depends on how many walkers are in the running lane.

Brilliant

Windy here in SoCal, too.  But it's warm; a high of 85 expected today.

PAD, have fun tonight!

Jerry, sorry about the inside running.

Jack, good luck this morning!  You made me look yesterday; I was close to signing up.  But I couldn't figure out how to still get a long run in this weekend; tomorrow morning is no good, and I knew I wouldn't want to run too much before or after a 5k today.

Lauren, it sounds like you and your husband came up with a great plan to accommodate your daughter's love for pizza Friday.  

PR, I peeked into the other daily and saw that your foot is bothering you; sorry to hear it. I hope it gets better soon and you can get your mileage back up.

I'm meeting my club this morning for a run.  My plan only calls for an 8-mile LR this morning but I feel like I should do more.  (but maybe I should follow the plan and I won't get overly tired/discouraged like I said in my other thread).  Running is so complicated.  

Have a great weekend, everyone!

GinnyinPA

It's cool here (45) but expected to get colder the next few days.  Last night it was only 31 when we walked Ben - brrr. I have 7 easy on the schedule later.

PAD - Christmas lights already?  We only have a few houses decorated in our area, though the downtown lights are on already and their tree is supposed to be lit tonight.  Have fun with your run and 5k.

Jack - good luck with your 5k.

Jerry - how much snow did you get?  Do they close the gym when it snows?

Allison - better to stay close to the plan, if you can.  This is a cutback week for me too, and I'm looking forward to a shorter long run tomorrow.

From the Internet.

Happy Saturday pens!

12.5 mile long run this morning - 8:58 average, very pleased with that! Had company for the first few miles so that was nice. Coffee and gingerbread from my favorite breakfast place after. Great running weather here today, low 40s and sunny.

I'm still trying to decide whether I want to race this week. Option 1: Manchester Road Race (4.7some-odd miles), many thousands of people, would be the biggest race I've ever run. I'd have to make the ~1.5 hour drive myself. Doesn't look like there's a bag check so I'd have to find throwaways to wear before the race and be cold after. With all those people around and no way to get into the seeded start if I register late, I'd run it as a tempo and try to hit consistent 7:50s with a kick at the end. Option 2: small local 5K on Saturday, some assortment of club members would probably be there, but being a 5K I'd 100% want to race it as a PR attempt, so it'd be a little rougher on my legs than Manchester. If I do the 5K I'd shift my long run to Thanksgiving morning so I wouldn't be sleeping in or having a leisurely morning either way.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

20:35. Now a 6 hour drive. It will be worth it.

PADRunner

PAD - Christmas lights already?  We only have a few houses decorated in our area, though the downtown lights are on already and their tree is supposed to be lit tonight.  Have fun with your run and 5k.

It's a drive through display at the lake. It opens on Thanksgiving Day but they have a Sneak Peek the weekend before. A 5k on Saturday, walk on Sunday and a bike ride on Monday. I may do the bike ride also.

I split my run this morning 5 in & 5 out. The wind was brutal heading north. Tomorrows 20 is going to suck! In or out.

Congrats Jack! Where are you headed?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

PAD: we are going to Zion in southern Utah.

Philliefan33

4.5 miles this afternoon. It was my first cold run of the season (windchill was 37), and I broke out the gloves and hat, but I know in a couple of months I'll consider it a warm day.  it was dry, so really a nice day.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good luck with the 5K PAD.

Hope you had a good LR Brill.  Did you get more than 8?

Sending you some colder air, Ginny.

Did you decide, Lauren?

Nice time, Jack. Enjoy Zion.

Better keep the gloves and hay handy, PF.

We watched football and waited until it was snowing really hard, so we had the track almost to ourselves.  So we did 6 and felt great.

Streets are horrible here with freezing slush.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Busy all day but managed 7 miles in the pouring rain.  We had 2" in most places and the streets look like lakes.  But I ran outside and even the pouring rain couldn't keep me away.

Jack, great race!

Damaris

PADRunner

It was A Penguin Holiday!

A big crowd this year 800+ runners. Ran a 30:13.

GinnyinPA

Good job PAD, especially with the crowds.

D - was it worth it, running in the deluge?  Hardcore indeed.

Jack - your speed is back, and then some.  WTG.

Lauren - Gingerbread sounds good.  I'm a bit tired of pumpkin everything, but I never get tired of ginger and cinnamon.

Margo - nice run.

From the Internet.

Jerry - ha, no, I did just the opposite and added a third option to the mix! Emailed coach hoping he'd have an answer for me.

Ginny - I was barely/not at all interested in all the pumpkin spice nonsense this year, gingerbread was a welcome change while still being seasonally appropriate.