Beginners and Beyond

Dude Where's The Sundailies?? (Read 52 times)

DavePNW

Dave -- you're probably going to run sub-20 before I will, and I am going to do it if it kills me, so you will too. 

Fair enough. If you do it, I will have no choice. I still need to get your sub-1:35 half though. You have about 16 seconds on me.

Dave

Coastal

Sorry for your loss, FS:

Congrats OFR, to you and Mrs. OFR.  Anything around 1:30's impressive for us old farts.  And that 1:24's an incredible time.

DavePNW.  Too bad about the course, but congrats on your time.  Edit:  Gotta agree with JayB.  Some 5K specific training and you're going to do it.

ROS- Nah not yet. Just for DW and I +my Mom and Dad

Dave- You did great...Sucks about the screw up for sure...at least you know to never run that one again. You definitely have sub-20 in you...just need some specific training for it.

OFR- Very nice time you ran...Your Wife did fantastic!

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Coastal

ROS- Nah not yet. Just for DW and I +my Mom and Dad

I was wondering the same thing as ROS -- while I was grinding beans this morning.

bluerun

Super B****

Fair enough. If you do it, I will have no choice. I still need to get your sub-1:35 half though. You have about 16 seconds on me.

That was a freak thing I’m pretty sure I’ll never match!!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Runshortii

I do not feel like running today, AT ALL. My legs are tight, it's gray out, I'm hungover like a mother fucker and I'm just tired.

Blah.

This was me. Stupid halloween parties. I ran my 9 though. I felt sluggish but okay.

Dave - Nice job! One of my running related goals in life is to someday win a pie.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

So here's the dealio. This course was an out & back. About a mile or so in, it looks like I'm running 5th OA. Two in front of me are young kids who I figure will burn out. One of them did and I passed him. Another was a woman who I was running about 10m behind for the whole race. I caught & passed her around mile 3. I caught right up to the other kid shortly before the finish, but he saw me & found another gear that I didn't have. So it looked like 3rd OA.

But I see a guy who I know from other races (and usually beats me) already finished, even though I went ahead of him shortly after the start & never saw him after that. (I thought it was especially strange when I didn't see him coming the other way after the turnaround.) He said "you ran too far". Which is weird because I & those in front of me turned around at a pretty clear turnaround point. Later he told me that a guy (must have been pretty shortly after me) turned around early where there was some other kind of sign, started yelling that it was the turnaround, and everyone followed him. Or at least enough people did. IDK. Not sure how you sort that one out in the end, unless you can somehow gather the top finishers and check watches or something. The woman I passed was kind of fretting about it, because she should have been 1st woman, but 2 women who ran short passed her. Those 2 women (mother/daughter) came forward and got it fixed for the announcements. (They only announced top 3 OA M/F.) Looks like they did not fix it in the race results though. I didn't make a big stink about it because no additional prize other than a pie, and obviously a pretty slow field anyway. Although for me, 3OA is a pretty big deal, so left with kind of a bad taste in my mouth.

Meh. In any case my time was about as good as I could've expected, didn't have much more. Every time I run a 5k I am reminded how far off I really am from sub-20. I just can't run <6:30 mpm. I need to stop talking about it.

Results as posted: OA 7/466, AG 1/12.

FTR: pie options were apple & marionberry, I went with the latter.

FTR2: that's 3 of my last 5 races with some kind of timing/distance screwup. FFS people.

Ugh, that sucks!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

12 miles half and half on the TM and outside (5 and 7).  It was so nice outside as the second cold front arrives here for a few days in the 70s.  I can't wait.

Damaris

twistedlogicnz

Runs on beer

Popping in to say congrats OFR! I had my HM on Sunday too... time was nowhere near yours 

PBs: 23:10 (5K), 49:20 (10K), 1:49:07 (HM - gun time), 4:11:41 (M)

DavePNW

This was me. Stupid halloween parties. I ran my 9 though. I felt sluggish but okay.

Dave - Nice job! One of my running related goals in life is to someday win a pie.

My 3rd pie! I got one for 1st AG the last 2 years at the same Thanksgiving Day turkey trot. Except it was an awful grocery store pumpkin pie. And my wife always makes one of her own, which is of course way better. First year we didn't even finish it, 2nd year we immediately donated it to a shelter. Sorry for the bad pie, homeless people. I was reminded of the Seinfeld episode where the homeless shelter refused to take the muffin stumps. Anyway, this pie was good.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks guys it doesn't yet feel real for me, but I am sure that after a few days it will.....knowing we can't talk to her or see her... she was a hoot when she wasn't driving us crazy...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

RunningOnSand

So here's the dealio. This course was an out & back. About a mile or so in, it looks like I'm running 5th OA. Two in front of me are young kids who I figure will burn out. One of them did and I passed him. Another was a woman who I was running about 10m behind for the whole race. I caught & passed her around mile 3. I caught right up to the other kid shortly before the finish, but he saw me & found another gear that I didn't have. So it looked like 3rd OA.

But I see a guy who I know from other races (and usually beats me) already finished, even though I went ahead of him shortly after the start & never saw him after that. (I thought it was especially strange when I didn't see him coming the other way after the turnaround.) He said "you ran too far". Which is weird because I & those in front of me turned around at a pretty clear turnaround point. Later he told me that a guy (must have been pretty shortly after me) turned around early where there was some other kind of sign, started yelling that it was the turnaround, and everyone followed him. Or at least enough people did. IDK. Not sure how you sort that one out in the end, unless you can somehow gather the top finishers and check watches or something. The woman I passed was kind of fretting about it, because she should have been 1st woman, but 2 women who ran short passed her. Those 2 women (mother/daughter) came forward and got it fixed for the announcements. (They only announced top 3 OA M/F.) Looks like they did not fix it in the race results though. I didn't make a big stink about it because no additional prize other than a pie, and obviously a pretty slow field anyway. Although for me, 3OA is a pretty big deal, so left with kind of a bad taste in my mouth.

Meh. In any case my time was about as good as I could've expected, didn't have much more. Every time I run a 5k I am reminded how far off I really am from sub-20. I just can't run <6:30 mpm. I need to stop talking about it.

Results as posted: OA 7/466, AG 1/12.

FTR: pie options were apple & marionberry, I went with the latter.

FTR2: that's 3 of my last 5 races with some kind of timing/distance screwup. FFS people.

As a fellow runner, this irks me on your behalf.

RunningOnSand

Well, we got our race done. All I can say is I'm consistent.  2 seconds slower than last year!  1:31:37- Essentially the same pace, but today was better conditions, FWIW. I went out faster today, which was probably my undoing. I mean I took enough poops.

Got 4th overall, 2nd in AG. The impressive finisher (besides my wife)  was the second place male who was only about 45 seconds behind the winner-that was about half his age! He was 57 and ran a 1:24:48!  That is crazy fast for a 57 yo, like a 6:28 pace!

The wife had an almost 3 min PR!  She ran a 2:12:02! So, at least one of us produced.

Not much to say except I died the last 2 miles running a 7:15, 7:10. Sad It was all I had, and that is about what I was probably looking for PR wise- since I got 17 seconds in the 10K two weeks ago. Just tried too hard for 11 miles and ran out of gas.   Oh well, at least I'm not going down hill too much yet.   I'll Just reload and keep plugging along!

You're my hero. both you guys. *whooooosh* (that's you guys speeding by)

RunningOnSand

Dave -- you're probably going to run sub-20 before I will, and I am going to do it if it kills me, so you will too. 

Well you're FOR SURE going to run a sub-20 before me. Hell. I'd be happy to break 25 right now.

RunningOnSand

I was wondering the same thing as ROS -- while I was grinding beans this morning.

Haha, we are not at all excited about your coffee grinding business, JayB. #sarcasm