Beginners and Beyond

Thursdailies: It's Autumn somewhere, but not here. (Read 35 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I ran 8 with it 70F.  It's headed to about 90 again today, and the humidity is supposed to be back.  I'm ready for a 50F morning, and a high of about 70.  Maybe one day.

Have a great day folks!

Runner with a riding problem.

delicate flower

Friends of Internet, HELLO!!  Speaking of 50 degree mornings, ours was a crisp 55 this morning and it was beautiful (sorry, 'Ridge!).  I could see my breath and my hands were chilly.  Ahhh, fall.  My legs didn't really want to go and I'm not sure I ever woke up.  4 easy miles done.

This work day is all that stands between me and a three day mountain biking trip to Vermont.

<3

LRB

I trudged through 7 in 62 F, but with 99% humidity, it wasn't all that pleasant. It didn't help that my legs were dead. In fact, I was going to cut it short at either 5 or 6, but went ahead and toughed it on out.

Cyberic

Now that humidity has finally fallen and that my foot is in decent shape, I have some congestion in my lungs. This morning I was running at about 9:05 pace and still breathing my normal easy running way. Except that usually I'm running at maybe a 8:15 pace.

Oh well, it could be worse: my foot had me very worried for a while.

I might not go for 3:10, though. With everyone sick at home, I have no idea if I'm going to get better, or worse in the coming days.

I'll see how things progress and take my final decision on race morning.

onemile

Now that humidity has finally fallen and that my foot is in decent shape, I have some congestion in my lungs. This morning I was running at about 9:05 pace and still breathing my normal easy running way. Except that usually I'm running at maybe a 8:15 pace.

I might not go for 3:10, though. With everyone sick at home, I have no idea if I'm going to get better, or worse in the coming days.

Not cool. Hope it clears up for your race. 

If it were me, and I felt congested on the day of my race, I would DNS and find another race in 4-6 weeks or so. Since it's early in the season still.  But I know you probably wouldn't want to do that.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have 12 miles at some point, if I can breathe and Pilates.

Cy, hope it clears up soon!

Damaris

Cyberic

Not cool. Hope it clears up for your race. 

If it were me, and I felt congested on the day of my race, I would DNS and find another race in 4-6 weeks or so. Since it's early in the season still.  But I know you probably wouldn't want to do that.

It's a thing to consider, but I doubt it. I actually had not even thought about it. There is a fast marathon (they boast it is the fastest in Canada) on Nov 6th in Hamilton, Ontario. http://hamiltonmarathon.ca/    Could be an alternative if I'm too sick.

From the Internet.

Fall weather is creeping in! I woke up before my alarm and killed my MLR today, but then I spent an hour in traffic and had to teach my first class on no breakfast and no coffee. Prep period now and I have eaten and my brain is functioning again so it's all good. My kids have their first cross country meet today! Super excited to see the whole thing in action, I never ran in high school so it's all totally new to me.

LRB

Feed the beast and let your body do the rest.

LRB

Fall weather is creeping in! I woke up before my alarm and killed my MLR today, but then I spent an hour in traffic and had to teach my first class on no breakfast and no coffee. Prep period now and I have eaten and my brain is functioning again so it's all good. My kids have their first cross country meet today! Super excited to see the whole thing in action, I never ran in high school so it's all totally new to me.

PRIORITIES.

LRB

Morning.  I have 12 miles at some point, if I can breathe and Pilates.

Cy, hope it clears up soon!

12 on a Thursday?

You in MRT again?

onemile

It's a thing to consider, but I doubt it. I actually had not even thought about it. There is a fast marathon (they boast it is the fastest in Canada) on Nov 6th in Hamilton, Ontario. http://hamiltonmarathon.ca/    Could be an alternative if I'm too sick.

The thing with marathons is that they take so long to recover from... so for me, to run a race where I cannot perform my best because of illness would feel like a waste. Now if I felt fairly good and thought there was a decent chance I could run a good race, I would still do it. But if I was coughing and congested... no.

delicate flower

Sorry about the ailments, Cyber.  Sad   I don't really have much advice to offer, but I will say that for a goal marathon I always plan for a backup race just in case something like this happens or if I have a really bad race day.  Missing a goal by 5-10 minutes doesn't qualify...I'm talking about something like intestinal problems, cramps, or race day illness completely derailing me.  Too much work goes into marathon training so I make sure to plan for a contingency.

For my marathon in two weeks, that doesn't really apply though since I am not trained specifically for it.  If I have a bad day, so be it.  I'm just chasing that low hanging BQ fruit because it's out there.

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Ugh, so Dorian was up throughout the night starting at 2 AM so I wasn't able to run this morning  Hopefully I can take little bit and Jetta out later this afternoon for something like 5 or 6 miles.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Sounds familiar. Last, fall, with respiratory problems, I decided to run it anyway, and go out at goal pace. It went well for about 18, but I was clearly missing some stamina, and hit the wall hard. The end of that one was worse than any marathon other than my first. So you'll probably be OK if you run it & temper your expectations, but likely will do better if you wait. Tough call, because I know once you have the date In your head, you want to get it done.

6 w/6x100m strides.
                                Over 200 for the month.

Dave