Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies for the 20th (Read 29 times)

DavePNW

I got sick of music too so I started listening to audio books and now, podcasts too.  I don't wear an armstrap. I use a tiny ipod shuffle, old school. I've never had problems with sweat and I've put that thing through the washing machine a couple times and it still works. I do have to pick something to listen to and copy it over but it's worth it to me.

I usually listen to music for workouts and don't wear headphones during races.  Sometimes if I forget to charge my ipod, I go without and it's fine but it does help pass the time and make it more enjoyable and sometimes if I am listening to an audiobook, it can even be enriching

This seems like a worthwhile thing to do, to get some value from the hours of basically wasted time every week. When I read books in general, it's always non-fiction, so I'd actually learn something. Although I have a feeling I'd have to rewind a lot, because my mind would be constantly wandering. Partially because that's what it does, partially because I have spent the last several years running where that's 100% of what it does.

Dave

LRB

I gave up running with music in 2012 after entering a race that prohibited them. Of course half the entrants were wearing them but I was committed.

I ran my first two half marathons and first marathon with music (and every 5k and 10k that first year and a half) but couldn't imagine doing that after I made the switch, it's weird.

LRB

This seems like a worthwhile thing to do, to get some value from the hours of basically wasted time every week. When I read books in general, it's always non-fiction, so I'd actually learn something. Although I have a feeling I'd have to rewind a lot, because my mind would be constantly wandering. Partially because that's what it does, partially because I have spent the last several years running where that's 100% of what it does.

This is golden. #storyofmylife

I sometimes run to music now and it's pretty much just to have something to look forward to, not to actually listen to. Although by definition, I guess I am listening to it. Anyway, at some point it becomes background noise and I am just basically daydreaming. lol

LRB

Apparently it is so hot in Phoenix (122 degrees) that some flights have been grounded. I wonder if that has ever happened in Miami.

onemile

I don't have a problem concentrating on a book or a podcast if it's good. I typically don't choose something that requires a lot of brain power to digest though.

onemile

Apparently it is so hot in Phoenix (122 degrees) that some flights have been grounded. I wonder if that has ever happened in Miami.

Oh but it's a dry heat 

Baboon

delicate flower

'Morning.  Off road tri tonight.  Coach put me down for a Thursday tri as well but I told him I'm not doing both.  My legs are not recovered from four days of mountain biking, but at least I rested them yesterday and didn't have a workout this morning, besides an easy swim which doesn't really count.  Looks like nice weather today, as triathlon weather goes.  Hot but dry.

<3

LRB

Oh but it's a dry heat 

lol

Runshortii

I don't usually run with music anymore unless I'm on the treadmill. I just get irritated with the headphone wires, and the earbuds were always falling out of my ears. Plus, since we moved to wear we live now most of my runs are done on partially shallow shoulders on windy hilly roads with no sidewalks and people drive like aholes. Podcasts don't sound like a bad idea though.

I originally planned on waking up early enough to get my 8 miles done first and then go to body pump, but my legs have been feeling kind of worn out so I think I'll skip body pump, and of course now it's going to rain so I'll get my 8 in sometime later. Back to work tomorrow. blah

Zelanie

For podcasts, I have found that the PocketCasts app makes it easy to subscribe and manage what I want to listen to.

OR, thanks for your comments last night. Zoe tore her left ACL 6 years ago, when she was 2, and surgery took her from not using the leg at all to a full recovery.

We're also hoping that the on again off again limpiness on her right side over the past 6 months was actually a partial ACL tear and not the scar tissue from her back surgery that they thought it was. If that's the case, then the surgery will fix her leg up to better than how it was when she tore the tendon on Friday.

We're not looking forward to the bill or the rehab, though. This will be her 3rd surgery, poor dog.

LRB

'Morning.  Off road tri tonight.  Coach put me down for a Thursday tri as well but I told him I'm not doing both.  My legs are not recovered from four days of mountain biking, but at least I rested them yesterday and didn't have a workout this morning, besides an easy swim which doesn't really count.  Looks like nice weather today, as triathlon weather goes.  Hot but dry.

Wow, I'm not sure I remember a time when you did that. You must REALLY be feeling it!

onemile

For podcasts, I have found that the PocketCasts app makes it easy to subscribe and manage what I want to listen to.

OR, thanks for your comments last night. Zoe tore her left ACL 6 years ago, when she was 2, and surgery took her from not using the leg at all to a full recovery.

We're also hoping that the on again off again limpiness on her right side over the past 6 months was actually a partial ACL tear and not the scar tissue from her back surgery that they thought it was. If that's the case, then the surgery will fix her leg up to better than how it was when she tore the tendon on Friday.

We're not looking forward to the bill or the rehab, though. This will be her 3rd surgery, poor dog.

Poor Zoe

My brother's dog just had ACL surgery after a long time spent trying to figure out what was causing his limping.  At first they were sure it was lyme disease

Zelanie

Poor Zoe

My brother's dog just had ACL surgery after a long time spent trying to figure out what was causing his limping.  At first they were sure it was lyme disease

I think it's hard to diagnose the partial tears. The full tears are easier.

Baboon

delicate flower

Wow, I'm not sure I remember a time when you did that. You must REALLY be feeling it!

It's more a matter of laziness than anything.  I don't want to have to hustle around and schlep to a race twice after work in one week.  I also don't want to burn out of summer racing like I did a couple of years ago.  One reason I like my coach is that he keeps my training flexible.  He knows that keeping me dialed back is usually the problem, so he's not going to push back if I don't feel like doing something.

<3

Runshortii

I ran 8. Faster than I should have, but halfway through storm clouds popped out of nowhere. That 8:30 mile is the first time I heard thunder, and that last 8:00 min mile was when it was down pouring and thundering nonstop lol

Z - Sorry to hear about your pup! Hoping for a speedy recovery