Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Lost Socks Mondaily (Read 16 times)

Brilliant

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Today is National Lost Sock Day.  Here's a sock with a lost penguin on it! Smile

Brilliant

I checked the weekend thread; not a lot of Penguin activity!  Jerry, yes you and DW did great for "old farts"!  Ginny, your 14 miler sounded great.  I didn't do a lot of running; just 5 miles on Saturday.

Headed out for 8 or so this morning.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  Allison, have an enjoyable 8.

Yesterday I ran a 4 mile race.  Except I forgot to use my inhaler beforehand, so when I ran into a (slower) friend at mile 2.5 I decided to finish the race at her speed because I was getting a bit wheezy by that point.  I brought my inhaler with me but forgot to use it because of the pouring rain at the start.  By the time I realized, I'd already checked my bag.  Oh well.  I guess this is the problem with having asthma that isn't super duper terrible =P

Today I'll do something.  I'm going to be a nice older sister and take my brother to the airport and take car of his car for him while he's away.  Having a car in my area is a real burden/pain in the ass.  But my brother is too poor to afford the $40 per day parking at LaGuardia so I'll deal with his car for him.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Hey penguins! Does lost sock day mean I will find them? I had one of my Balegas go missing in the laundry 2 weeks ago. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, on Friday I was updating my potential car list, and found the one I wanted.  The con is that it's silver, just like our other one (seriously, two silver Priuses?  How will we tell them apart??)  The pros were that it was one of the lowest priced on our list, one of the lowest mileage, and the one with the most options (including a backup camera and heated seats).  So we went to see it on Saturday (1.5 hours from home, of course) and did the deal.  Since we don't have a check from the insurance company yet (today or tomorrow we should hear from them), the dealer made up two contracts -- one with a specified amount down, and one with zero down.  So we have to head back up there some time this week and hand over a check and destroy one of the contracts.  It's confusing, but it let us snap up the car before anyone else got to it, so I'm all good with that.  So we're a two-car family again!  Now I just have to get all the little detail stuff done.

Brilliant -- love the socks!!  Enjoy your 8 or so!!

Jill -- Enjoy your day, and use your brother's car to go look at houses?

Half -- Now you have to lose one of another pair, so that the remaining mates can be together ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have so many missing socks it's not funny.  I have not run in a week but that will end today.  9-11 miles after Pilates.

Damaris

Brilliant

Hopesmom, funny that you own 2 silver Priuses now. Smile  Put one of those Jack-in-the-Box antenna heads on one of them to tell them apart.  (does a Prius even have an antenna??)

HCK2, that's an expensive sock to lose. Sad  Hope it turns up.  I usually buy socks in multi-packs so it doesn't matter if one gets lost, but I have some Feetures that I really like that I would be sad if one went missing!

Jill, how can you store your brother's car for him in Manhattan for less than the $40/day airport fee?  I know street parking is next to impossible; I've seen Seinfeld. Big grin

Damaris, happy return to running.

8.1 done with some intervals; that was hard.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, on Friday I was updating my potential car list, and found the one I wanted.  The con is that it's silver, just like our other one (seriously, two silver Priuses?  How will we tell them apart??)  The pros were that it was one of the lowest priced on our list, one of the lowest mileage, and the one with the most options (including a backup camera and heated seats).  So we went to see it on Saturday (1.5 hours from home, of course) and did the deal.  Since we don't have a check from the insurance company yet (today or tomorrow we should hear from them), the dealer made up two contracts -- one with a specified amount down, and one with zero down.  So we have to head back up there some time this week and hand over a check and destroy one of the contracts.  It's confusing, but it let us snap up the car before anyone else got to it, so I'm all good with that.  So we're a two-car family again!  Now I just have to get all the little detail stuff done.

Brilliant -- love the socks!!  Enjoy your 8 or so!!

Jill -- Enjoy your day, and use your brother's car to go look at houses?

Half -- Now you have to lose one of another pair, so that the remaining mates can be together ...

I guess I could?  But we are looking in transit friendly places.  Also my mom is a real estate agent and will be our broker so she'll drive us around when the time comes :-)  It isn't too big of a deal, there are places around here with parking if I just hunt a bit.  I don't mind looking for a spot for 10 minutes and parking a 15 minute walk away from my apartment if need be.  I might use it to make a big dry goods grocery trip or something.

Hope - I'm glad your car search went well :-)  You can just tell them apart by putting a magnet on one? ;-)  My parents are also a two prius family, but they have one blue and one beige.

I just did 5.  It was nice but got a bit warm by the end.  I think I'll be switching to 6am runs this week.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Here's more proof that I just didn't run hard enough in last week's marathon.

This was at the finish line and I look way too relaxed.

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - great socks. I hope your 8 went well.

Jill - in your running you probably have run into some cheaper parking lots, so maybe you can settle it somewhere and run home.  Or will you do street parking and just move it a lot?  Sorry the lungs misbehaved yesterday, but at least you got to run with a friend.

HopesMom - I'm glad you got your car before someone else did.  I hope your check arrives soon.

Today may be a rest day.  I'm hurting more than usual, and it's stupid to ignore that, especially since it's gone from achiness to "Ouch, that spot hurts!"  The problem is, if I rest enough to heal it, I'll go crazy. (Well, more crazy.)   I hate not being able to run.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.8.  Getting good use of The Stick that DW bought at the Indy expo.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I cannot see your picture, Brilliant.

Damaris

Brilliant

I cannot see your picture, Brilliant.

Hmmm, I added it to a "public" album but maybe I didn't make the pic itself public.  Can you see it now?

Singer who runs a smidge

I could see it before.  I think Damaris is just weird! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

I could see it before.  I think Damaris is just weird! 

Well darn, I just logged myself out of Google to check and now I can't see it either.  Grrr...trying again: