Beginners and Beyond

All Star Week (Read 66 times)

DavePNW

So those of you in the RWOL 2015 Mileage Game know this is coming up week of 6/1. I have foolishly volunteered to participate.

If you have done this before (or just generally have experience running high mileage) - any tips on packing in maximum miles in a week? Ideally without getting injured.

The obvious things - I assume I will want to schedule a rest day (or two) immediately before & after the week. And stick to easy paced runs. I have never done doubles before, but seems like a good time to give it a try.

Any other suggestions?

Some of us may end up on the same team, so no incentive yet to give bad advice.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Doubles. Lots of them. I think I even did a triple.

Damaris

LRB

First of all, you could run the 68 miles I ran for my first all star week backwards with your eyes closed while juggling chain saws running barefoot across hot coals with a wad of chewing tobacco in your mouth so let's just get that out of the way. 

Having said that, I am not you or some of the other high mileage demons and was pretty happy with my conservative modest contribution.

8 Mon

12 Tue (8 am, 4 pm)

16 Wed (8 am, 8 pm)

8 Thurs

0 Fri (FE in Chicago)

12 Sat

12 Sun

Those were all easy miles and about 20 miles over my weekly average at that time. Aside from being bored out of my mind, there was not much to it.

happylily

I did two weeks of 100 miles in the past. Lots of doubles, like the others said. Mostly easy and recovery. I hope you have a huge love for running inside of you, because expect that by the end of that week, you'll have depleted at least half of it.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Doubles and throw the watch out the window.  Do NOT be concerned with pace, at all, nil, nada, nunca, nein, never.

You people have issues 

Zelanie

I haven't done all-star week before, but I did something similar for the playoffs.  Those are even more fun.

My basic premise was that there is a distance that I can run that is so short that it adds no fatigue at all.  For me, I settled on 3 miles.  So, I added a 3-mile daily run to my routine for the week.  Since I'm usually an after-work runner, I got up early and ran 3 miles before work every day.  After work, I mostly ran my "usual" run, even taking one RD midweek I think.  I ran more at a slow shuffle than a jog.  No speedwork.  Then on the weekend, in addition to the 3-miler, all bets were off as long as I could keep going.  The extra 3 miler added like 21 free miles to my week but didn't really take any toll.  And I figured I could live with 30 minutes less sleep each day for a week.

Some of the higher-mileage runners broke up their day into three 5-mile runs.  Again, short and slow.  That will get you over 100 without any one run being too crazy.

Also, lower your standards as far as laundry and re-wearing clothes.  That helps a lot.

We did a lot of encouraging others and keeping a running tally of miles run (as well as scouting the other team) on our site.  That helped us keep the momentum going even during those brief times when we weren't running.  I think I re-wrote Daft Punk lyrics while on the TM "We're up all night to get miles in."

Jill.

Penguin Power!

How does all star week work?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

How does all star week work?

If it works the same as in previous years, each team nominates 4 runners to be all stars, everybody else has a week off from the head-to-head contests.

All stars from teams in 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9th place are one team ("east", let's say), teams 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 are the other ("west").

East vs. west competes in the head-to-head for that week.  Some runners rack up some serious mileage!  At the end of the week, the team that wins earns an extra 5% mileage bonus for their regular teams that can be used at any point during the year.  Most teams save their bonus for the playoffs.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Thanks for the explanation z Smile I get to have a week to punk out on the mileage game soon I suppose - since I'm certainly not all star material. Is it the first week in June?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Thanks for the explanation z Smile I get to have a week to punk out on the mileage game soon I suppose - since I'm certainly not all star material. Is it the first week in June?

Yup.  I apologize in advance if our team is on the same side as your team, we might all be in race taper or recovery!  Hopefully Dave is on our side and can run miles for us.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I haven't done one for a few years, but my last stab at it was basically a HMish distance run every day after work.

These days I would structure it with doubles at least. Lunchtime run, then a longer one after work (4 ish +8 ish)

Maybe get up early and get a short run in then as well.

But I;m out of the country this go round, so I won't be doing anything like that.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

delicate flower

My PB one mile week was 86 miles and that was during finals.  I ran doubles every day.  Problem is, my body wasn't ready for an 86 mile week and it took me a couple of months to recover from.  So my advice is to just do what you can and don't push your luck.  This is just a game and is not worth getting injured over.  Especially you with your finicky knee, Dave.

Pretty good chance I'll be an All Star and the best I'll be able to do is 50-55 miles due to my race schedule (goal HM at the end of the week).  Your own schedule and health comes first.  

<3

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Baboon speaks with wisdom.  I bumped up from 55-60ish to 75 for last year's All-Star week.  Maybe I was already pushing it (because I'm dumb like that), but I got one more week of running in before a stress fracture screwed up the rest of my summer.

If you are already stressing your body, a double shot for a week can't help.  I will not forget that lesson.

Runner with a riding problem.

happylily

My PB one mile week was 86 miles and that was during finals.  I ran doubles every day.  Problem is, my body wasn't ready for an 86 mile week and it took me a couple of months to recover from.  So my advice is to just do what you can and don't push your luck.  This is just a game and is not worth getting injured over.  Especially you with your finicky knee, Dave.

Pretty good chance I'll be an All Star and the best I'll be able to do is 50-55 miles due to my race schedule (goal HM at the end of the week).  Your own schedule and health comes first.  

+100. This is why I don't participate anymore in the games. It's easy to push yourself over what your limit is. Then you regret it after. It happened to me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

I agree with Baboon, Pleasant and Lily. Allstar week is dumb. Don't hurt yourself.