Beginners and Beyond

All Star Week (Read 66 times)

delicate flower

+100. This is why I don't participate anymore in the games. It's easy to push yourself over what your limit is. Then you regret it after. It happened to me.

The games are a lot of fun if you keep them within the context of your normal running.  I enjoy the camaraderie and it does help to motivate on days you don't feel like running.  I learned a couple of years ago to just stay within your own limits.

<3

happylily

The games are a lot of fun if you keep them within the context of your normal running.  I enjoy the camaraderie and it does help to motivate on days you don't feel like running.  I learned a couple of years ago to just stay within your own limits.

Yes, the games are great for people who have discipline. For undisciplined people, not so much...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My PB for the All Star Week was something like 82 or thereabouts.  I could've run 90+ but decided to take a rest day during the week.  I worked 75 hours that week as well, but it was mostly at home, so I was able to run in the morning, then in the afternoon.  It was funny because every time I stepped out the door, there was a thunderstorm.  As soon as I stopped, it would stop. All week long.  I felt it was from the other team.

Damaris

LRB

My PB for the All Star Week was something like 82 or thereabouts.  I could've run 90+ but decided to take a rest day during the week. 

I originally planned to run 74 because I had run it before, but no more than that. When all was said and done I ended up running a 10k PR a week later and had no issues with recovery so I have no regrets.

I am out for it this year but would do it again, at a modest number of course. I am unsure I will ever run anything close to 80 miles and definitely nothing north of it, I am just not made for that.

Mostly because my brain would implode at the thought and my body would shatter into a million pieces if I tried it. lol

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I suggest 100 miles in 30 hours.  Have fun!

Running is dumb.

DavePNW

In general, being in a competition does not motivate me to run more; running more motivates me to want to be in a competition. When I am healthy, I am running a lot anyway. I had no intention of the miles game influencing my running, and it hasn't. The All Star Week is a unique situation, so just wanted to get some input. Not sure how much you can screw yourself up in one week, but logically going way outside your normal limits is probably pretty stupid. Of course the normal limits of some of us are pretty stupid to begin with, but that's another discussion.

I tentatively put in for [REDACTED]. Not unreasonable for me based on where I was last summer, but recently I have been in the low 50's. Half-tempted to go crazy, because it would be sort of cool to see what I could get to. But again, stupid.

MTA: fixed to maintain secrecy.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

In general, being in a competition does not motivate me to run more; running more motivates me to want to be in a competition. When I am healthy, I am running a lot anyway. I had no intention of the miles game influencing my running, and it hasn't. The All Star Week is a unique situation, so just wanted to get some input. Not sure how much you can screw yourself up in one week, but logically going way outside your normal limits is probably pretty stupid. Of course the normal limits of some of us are pretty stupid to begin with, but that's another discussion.

I tentatively put in for ____. Not unreasonable for me based on where I was last summer, but recently I have been in the low 50's. Half-tempted to go crazy, because it would be sort of cool to see what I could get to. But again, stupid.

Don't tell others what you are planning to run!

Damaris

DavePNW

Don't tell others what you are planning to run!

I didn't realize it was a secret. I guess I still don't understand how this thing works. 

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I didn't realize it was a secret. I guess I still don't understand how this thing works. 

The other team is going to try to outrun your team.  Hello?  Keep it secret.  Now you will have to run more than that....

Your teammates can know, yes, but you won't know who will be against us until the week before.  So, LRB could be our enemy....

Damaris

RSX

Does being banned from l&o help me or hurt me?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You are not even on the 2015 miles game!

Damaris

RSX

You are not even on the 2015 miles game!

That's beside the point

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It is not!  You cannot be in All Star Week unless you're in the game.  And we have L&O people in the game.

Dave, forgot to say, people keep it such a secret, logs are locked or not updated and no posts are made until Monday (meaning, no mileage posting, not no posts).

Damaris

Zelanie

People could be lying. 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

You lose 10 street cred points.

You people have issues