Beginners and Beyond

Another diet thread (Read 180 times)

notimeforthat

I was being 100% sincere in the first thread, not mean. I fully admit to being mischevious in the 2nd. I even called myself a twit. Look, I am well known for being opinionated, and not always in a good way. My thoughts read LOUDLY on my face and I have to work with people who are living in the bacon belt and using prescription narcotics that would lay out giants. I have my own personal thoughts on this stuff, but I have to really work at listening to them and seeing where I can find an in.

Listen to those nurses and they will give you that in. They will notice and they will ask questions eventually. People comment that I have 3 kids and I have "kept my figure" as they say here. I simply tell them it is because I move more than I eat, and that leads into a conversation about how much they can move in their day, which leads to "what do you typically eat?" and from there we can work.

9 times out of 10 it will go in one ear and out the other, but that 1 person it sticks with, well, heck you just saved a life. I am telling you, this has been an eye opener for me. Women's health especially. A good one though, one that I needed.

What is sad is that we are talking about nurses, here... Shouldn't they know better?

Ditto.

notimeforthat

Ditto.

No. One of the most talented cardio-thoracic surgeons I ever worked with was as wide as he was tall and smoked like a train.

People who work in healthcare are still humans that have the same baggage we all do in life, they just chose to work somewhere that pays better and has crappier hours. Most of the ones I worked with in ICU were <200 lbs and the CCU was not any better, though the crew I worked with ran and didn't smoke. Lucky me.

Don't assume because someone is a nurse, they are "healthy" any more than you would assume a thin person is "healthy". I know some pretty impressive athletes that are not "thin".

That is like having the assumption that all fat people are lazy. Not always the case.

I just reread the thread. Hilary didn't call out anyone on her or his size. She didn't berate anyone for not meeting her aesthetic standards. She expressed frustration at her colleagues not leading by example and, instead, seeking a quick fix.

It's annoying to be told how to take care of myself by people who don't take care of themselves.

The emotional eating excuse is bullshit. I know from experience. I'm sad; I eat. I'm happy; I eat. I'm angry; I eat. I'm indifferent; I eat. I'm frustrated; I eat. I'm a horrible illustration of an even worse ethnic joke. I indulge in chocolate ice cream for dinner; I don't have pastry for breakfast and a double burger, fries, and regular soda the next day. Even though I might be craving cheesecake.

Choose junk; compensate the next time or two with more healthful options. It takes just as much time and energy to buy a lowfat yogurt and a piece of fruit as it takes to buy a donut and an extra-light-with-sugar coffee. It's not that complicated.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

No. One of the most talented cardio-thoracic surgeons I ever worked with was as wide as he was tall and smoked like a train.

People who work in healthcare are still humans that have the same baggage we all do in life, they just chose to work somewhere that pays better and has crappier hours. Most of the ones I worked with in ICU were <200 lbs and the CCU was not any better, though the crew I worked with ran and didn't smoke. Lucky me.

Don't assume because someone is a nurse, they are "healthy" any more than you would assume a thin person is "healthy". I know some pretty impressive athletes that are not "thin".

That is like having the assumption that all fat people are lazy. Not always the case.

I was gonna say this in response to the statement on the first page.  Docs and nurses were even singled out in another news article last week stating the very opposite.  That they are actually more often less healthy than their John/Jane doe counterparts.

Perhaps ironically (or not) my dentists have always appeared healthy.  One, I know for sure was in the gym a lot.  My latest might even run but I only noticed his funky colored Asics this last visit.  He might just wear Asics and have a lean build.

Randy

Antipodean

I get what you mean Hilary. But I don't really get Al's response. Confused Anyway...

Tonight I was at the supermarket and my checkout operator commented to her colleague who was passing about the sticker that appeared to be accidentally stuck on her sleeve. It was a sale - reduced item sticker. The colleague, who was morbidly obese joked, "I'm reduced". My mind immediately began forming cutting comebacks, but I held my tongue.

I have recently, however, lost over 10 pounds through cutting out junk snacks and eating reasonable portion sizes and I'm damn pround of it. I still have a few pounds to lose, but even before losing I was within the healthy BMI range.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

I don't think there was anything wrong with what Hillary said at all.  She came on here, to a community of like-minded (at least in one aspect) people, to express an opinion.  That's exactly what this forum is here for, isn't it?  She wasn't mocking or being snarky, she was just commenting.   I mean, as runners, we all know we get our share of shit about how our knees will go out any day now.  Why isn't it okay for her to talk about how ridiculous she thinks someone's behavior is?

All the medical professionals you work with, Al, who amaze you with their ability to be non-judgmental, are totally being judgmental in their heads - because they're human!  But it sounds like they're professional & good with their patients and so they don't express their judgment or allow it to affect their work.  I'm willing to bet that Hillary was nice & bit her tongue and didn't tell them what she was thinking.  She said it here, instead, in a completely acceptable outlet.

And anyway, I agree with her.  And I'm tired of hearing certain people around me talk and complain about situations they are capable of changing but won't.

Angela 

Luke79

WTF AI?  You should have really taken a more friendly approach with your unsolicited scolding here.

Nevrgivup

I don't think there was anything wrong with what Hillary said at all.  She came on here, to a community of like-minded (at least in one aspect) people, to express an opinion.  That's exactly what this forum is here for, isn't it?  She wasn't mocking or being snarky, she was just commenting.   I mean, as runners, we all know we get our share of shit about how our knees will go out any day now.  Why isn't it okay for her to talk about how ridiculous she thinks someone's behavior is?

All the medical professionals you work with, Al, who amaze you with their ability to be non-judgmental, are totally being judgmental in their heads - because they're human!  But it sounds like they're professional & good with their patients and so they don't express their judgment or allow it to affect their work.  I'm willing to bet that Hillary was nice & bit her tongue and didn't tell them what she was thinking.  She said it here, instead, in a completely acceptable outlet.

And anyway, I agree with her.  And I'm tired of hearing certain people around me talk and complain about situations they are capable of changing but won't.

Thanks. This is why I posted this here. BTW- I was just listening in to this conversation and was not even involved when the girl was talking about her upcoming diet. I was observing.  FTR- I have yet to meet  doctor or nurse that is non-judgmental. We are professionals and respect our patients, but you better believe we cringe when we see certain behaviors.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

paulski66

miscreant

^^ Thank you.

Rather than start a thread about them and mocking them, why not hand them some good information that has evidence based practice to back it up?  Weight Watchers participants actually lose more and stay leaner over the long haul than other programs.

I have found that over the years, colleagues will see how I eat and comment on "healthy" or "you exercise so much, so you can eat a burger", so I use that as a jumping off point to help them get good information.

As a future NP, you will deal with this for many many many many patients. They don't want a lecture, they want someone to help them.

Get off your high horse, She wasn't mocking anyone.

And really, she should be telling other nurses how to diet? What kind of condescending shit is that?

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

paulski66

miscreant

The question was: Shouldn't they know better. The answer is, of course, yes, and your example is moronic.

Are you going to tell us that a cardio-thoracic surgeon doesn't know of the dangers of smoking and obesity? Please...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

flarunner

My two cents:

1. We live in a "fast-food" society. Meaning, we want to drive through and get whatever it is that we want: food, liquor, dry cleaning, weight loss, healthy-ness, fitness...

2. People don't change their habit/lifestyle until they are miserable enough to do so. Just ask some of the former fatties/smokers/couch potatoes on this forum.

Now I'm going to say something that might get me flamed or slammed or whatever. But I'm old enough to be your mother so pay attention. Wink

I've read multiple 'complaint' threads over the years (NOT SAYING THIS IS A COMPLAINT THREAD) about 'dumb' things other people do or say. For example: the latest fad diet; the concern about losing your uterus because of running; the "how long is that marathon?" question; the derogatory comments about hurting your (insert body part here) from running so much; the "you need a sammich" comments; ETC...

I've noticed that the overwhelming response to that type of 'complaint' thread is to vent frustration/anger here on the interwebz. A kind of "ARRGGH...these questions/comments are so dumb/frustrating/stupid GAH! I need to tell all you peeps how dumb/frustrating/stupid it is" type of thing.

And I don't understand that type of response from you people.

Maybe it's because I've been running since 1976. Maybe it's because I'm an Exercise Physiologist. Maybe it's because I've been a coach of runners for over 15 years. Maybe it's just my personality (or lack thereof).

But every time (EVERY TIME) anyone makes any type of "stupid" comment about running ("Man, I couldn't even drive that far") or weight loss ("I'm going on the no fat whatsoever diet") I use it as an opportunity to educate them and encourage them to find out more about that specific subject. All with the goal to help them change their behavior for the better.

Granted, they won't always listen or change their bad behavior. (Go back to my two cents up above.) But, knowledge is power. And you people have that knowledge. You like running. You like running a lot. Running has helped you. You've changed your lifestyle for the better because of running. You are still trying to improve both your running and your lifestyle. So share that information!

Don't roll your eyes or grit your teeth or smile and nod and stop the conversation. Engage them. Find out where they're getting their incorrect information and then give them the correct information. Then encourage them. Are they trying to lose weight? Well, they might be doing it wrong, but at least they're trying. Give them some information on the right way to lose weight and encourage them to keep trying and to ask you for help.

Yes, it gets tedious. Yes, some people are attention ho's, or jerks, or just not very nice. But you just never know. They may change. You did.

notimeforthat

Get off your high horse, She wasn't mocking anyone.

And really, she should be telling other nurses how to diet? What kind of condescending shit is that?

I never stated that she mentioned people's size, girth, fattiness or anything of the sort. I did say that the TONE was rude in how she framed her story (I never said she was rude to the others).

My example of a surgeon was spot on, the comment was shouldn't they know better and my point is, of course they SHOULD, but they are HUMAN. They get divorced, have tons of kids, eat fatty foods and come home from 12-14 hours of working and fall in the recliner and eat dinner, go to bed. Some of them get up at 4 and run, most don't.

As far as being judgmental of others habits, sure. People are that way; we see a fat person order fries and think "oh, you should have gotten a salad"...but are your face and your actions saying that? Healthcare providers are fully entitled to an opinion, but if we are going to be in a position of treating and helping to heal disease then we cannot afford to have a tone or a facial expression that indicates that we are silently judging them. Being a runner, triathlete, cyclist, whatever...doesn't make anyone better than anyone else. They still eat crap and drink their calories.

Think back to when you started exercising (if you were not a lifelong athlete), who were the people that cheered you on? What was their attitude? Were they busy trying to tell you the right way to go about it or were they just being encouraging and smiling.

I have been as guilty as anyone about jumping on the "beat them up for not doing right" bandwagon as anyone, but like I said earlier, people change as they learn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full disclosure: my brother is 6'2" and 380 lbs. Our grandfather died at 46 with a heart attack, brother is now 43. I watched for years as my mom berated, pleaded, lectured and cried over his weight and lack of healthy lifestyle (btw she is 5'8" and 170) and one day he finally looked her in the eye and said "You need to let it go. You are just as fat as I am". I sent him a letter, told him I loved him and I wanted to see him around for his girls and wife. He has not lost the weight, it will be a lifelong battle to not get bigger, but the reality is that if he goes and jumps on the bandwagon of quick fixes, I will encourage him for at least taking a step in the right direction. At some point, a teachable moment will arise, maybe it won't. I get the frustration, but there is a time to just realize that what we want for others isn't what they want for themselves.

Hillary, you will have that same impact with your patients because of how you live. Patients pay attention to that stuff, they want to hear that their healthcare providers are not "Do as I say, not as I do" type folks. They see enough of that already. I could tell story after story of someone in the CCU telling an overweight cardiologist or rehab nurse to "get out, you obviously don't follow your own advice"....then there was the time that one gal was actually pregnant...that did not go over well.

And with that, I am done here.

Love the Half

And it's not even Friday.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Hip Redux

I have to agree with AI and flarunner on this one.  And not necessarily just this particular thread - this certainly is not up there in terms of the 'tude, so I don't want the OP to take this personally.  But there's been any number of threads that basically have the same message:

....Runners are the best.  Everyone else is an idiot and should be mocked for their stupidity on (food, exercise, fill-in-the-blank whatever)....

It's a very... elitist attitude towards others.  Yeah, it's "just venting", I get it.  But what's the point?   To vent about everyone on this planet who doesn't have their life worked out?  Or doesn't run?   I honestly don't understand.   It's not a welcoming kind of environment for those who want to become runners, either.

There are a lot of people who struggle, even runners.  With emotions, with exercise, with eating, with family life.. and that impacts their judgment and ability to change.   Running is not a panacea.   Maybe for you it is, but everyone does not need to be a runner to conquer their troubles.  And some will never conquer them.  That's life.

And frankly, some of the runners I know eat like total crap!  LOL