Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILIES; There's a first time for everything (Read 33 times)

LRB

That would be me, jogging in shorts in 2018. It is mind boggling, really.

Now it's time for some yummy peanut butter pancakes...which will not be the first time for that.

KCRuns

Good morning!

It was little chilly here, so no shorts, but I did wear thinner leggings and a thin long sleeve as opposed to winter gear. 7 miles at a quicker than usual easy pace and it felt really good.

LRB

7 miles at a quicker than usual easy pace and it felt really good.

Are you tapering for your marathon or training through it?

DavePNW

marathon 

Next weekend. Start is a 1 mile walk from the hotel. Maybe I'm being a big wuss, but it's a bit longer than I'd want to walk before one of these things. There are shuttle buses but the nearest stop is 0.6 miles (in the opposite direction). Wondering if it's worth the bother vs. just walking the whole thing. Although I will be with the family so maybe I can get DW to drop me off somewhere closer to the start (depending on where they will let cars go). I am probably overthinking this.

Dave

LRB

Next weekend. Start is a 1 mile walk from the hotel. Maybe I'm being a big wuss, but it's a bit longer than I'd want to walk before one of these things. There are shuttle buses but the nearest stop is 0.6 miles (in the opposite direction). Wondering if it's worth the bother vs. just walking the whole thing. Although I will be with the family so maybe I can get DW to drop me off somewhere closer to the start (depending on where they will let cars go). I am probably overthinking this.

Nope, I feel you. I suppose you can walk half and jog half? I have never jogged before a marathon, which is odd given that I'll jog (and include speed) up to 3.5 miles for all other race distances. 

Good Afternoon Runners.

Raced a 5k this morning, I wrote a short RR. Its up on the main page. Got a new PR. Im super stoked.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

DavePNW

Nope, I feel you. I suppose you can walk half and jog half? I have never jogged before a marathon, which is odd given that I'll jog (and include speed) up to 3.5 miles for all other race distances. 

+1. I do a warmup before every other distance, but have never before a marathon.

Dave

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good afternoon!

I did a first time thing this morning as well.  I rode 101.8 miles on a gorgeous day.

Bicycles are stupid, my ass is tired, and I'm so fucking hungry.  I'd call it a success.

Have a great rest of the day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Baboon

delicate flower

Good morning and Happy Weekend!  I ran 14.4 miles at 7:08 avg pace.  The Tuesday through Thursday workouts put a hurting on me for my weekend workouts and I was feeling it today, but I still had a good run and dead even split it.  Wife ran with some friends and I met them for breakfast and coffee after.  Then I bought me a NY strip steak for dinner, on sale for $12.99/lb ($8 off!).  Looking forward to that tonight!

That would be me, jogging in shorts in 2018. It is mind boggling, really.

I overdressed today.  I should have worn shorts, but I wore tights.  Plus a short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve shirt, fleece beanie, and light gloves.  Shorts, t-shirt, and cap would have been fine (no regrets on the gloves though).  It was 32 degrees when I started, but it warmed up fast.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I have never jogged before a marathon, which is odd given that I'll jog (and include speed) up to 3.5 miles for all other race distances. 

That's always depended on my fitness level and my anticipated pace. When I was running 3:00 marathons I included at least a short warmup because I'd be starting out at sub-7:00 pace. Now with me running well over 5:00 for a marathon, a warm up would be a waste of energy.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

5 miles.

Dave

LRB

That's always depended on my fitness level and my anticipated pace. When I was running 3:00 marathons I included at least a short warmup because I'd be starting out at sub-7:00 pace. Now with me running well over 5:00 for a marathon, a warm up would be a waste of energy.

Absolutely. That makes perfect sense. But of course, if someone wants to jog before a marathon of any goal time, that's cool too. I always raced them like I trained for them; to hit goal pace by mile 3.

LRB

I overdressed today.  I should have worn shorts, but I wore tights.  Plus a short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve shirt, fleece beanie, and light gloves.  

Yeah, it's harder to gauge going from cold to heat than it is from heat to cold...

Or is it the other way around. 

zzyzx

First, no I didn't take last week off from anything but recording. I used the exercise room in the hotel most days.

Still though, I'm quite annoyed at the number this winter has done on me. Last year this time I was up over 10 miles on my long runs, this year...

I just wanted to build up my miles and told myself not to worry about speed. 8.5 miles at 8:50. Only a few seconds slower than my usual old man pace so not too bad I guess. Maybe I can be above 10 in a week or two.

Coastal

ZZY:  I was wondering how you were doing.  Hang in there -- you have some pretty decent fitness from the stair work.  The road distances will come.

Dave:  One mile can be part of settling the butterflies and the start of your warm up.  I did the shuttle bus and the walk after wasn't bad.  Didn't hardly notice it.  They could have changed the drop off point though, that was five years ago.  I can't imagine a mile walk would be much different.

Did heavy leg work today and then 4.5 miles on the TM.  My recently resurfaced orthotics haven't been working out but this morning I decided to put body glide on the parts that are rubbing.  Seems to be helpful, but tomorrow's run on the road will tell.