Beginners and Beyond

Now serving MonDAILIES! (Read 47 times)

happylily

Okay, I must correct myself. I don't win all the arguments in my house. But my SO is smart enough to trust me when it comes to running. He does not trust me with most anything else, and that's smart of him too.  It sounds like the SO of Andrew's cousin has an incorrect vision of what training is because she has an above average level of fitness that allows her to train and race fast times on little mileage. Her SO is different from her, as his HM finish time proves.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I would think so. If I believe that he might injure himself, or suffer needlessly, why would I just stand there and pretend he's going to do great?

I agree to counsel and advice him but when the person does not listen, what then?  You cannot physically prohibit anyone from doing anything they are set out to do.

I also think there are more dangerous things than marathon training, like riding a motorcycle or having a sports car, etc.  Although I would give my opinion, I don't expect anyone to listen to it and heed my advice.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Okay, I must correct myself. I don't win all the arguments in my house. But my SO is smart enough to trust me when it comes to running. He does not trust me with most anything else, and that's smart of him too.  It sounds like the SO of Andrew's cousin has an incorrect vision of what training is because she has an above average level of fitness that allows her to train and race fast times on little mileage. Her SO is different from her, as his HM finish time proves.

Although just because someone is slower does not mean one is less trained than the other....

I actually think Andrew's cousin and wife have better training and background than others we have seen even in these forums.

Damaris

happylily

Although just because someone is slower does not mean one is less trained than the other....

I actually think Andrew's cousin and wife have better training and background than others we have seen even in these forums.

True. But what does it mean? If not less trained, less fit then?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

True. But what does it mean? If not less trained, less fit then?

Maybe, but that does not mean they will not be prepared to run the marathon in 6 months.

Damaris

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Maybe, but that does not mean they will not be prepared to run the marathon in 6 months.

Right, and that was to Kristin's point. My cousin's SO has talent, so she likes to run. So they trained for a HM and completed it. Great! Now they want to go to the next level, which is a FM. My point is regardless of talent I think running a Marathon takes actual training. Like Damaris said, even that can get you hurt.

- Andrew

happylily

Oh, I know. If it were my neighbors, I wouldn't say a word to them about it except "Good luck!". But if it were my child, or my husband, I would voice my concerns regarding the whole thing. But you're right that we know very little about these people's running. They could be running 25-30 mpw, which is fine to start training for a first marathon. I was just imagining someone who ran a half 6 months ago, on 20 mpw, then took a break off running and now decides he wants to run a marathon. That would not be a good idea in my mind.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, I know. If it were my neighbors, I wouldn't say a word to them about it except "Good luck!". But if it were my child, or my husband, I would voice my concerns regarding the whole thing. But you're right that we know very little about these people's running. They could be running 25-30 mpw, which is fine to start training for a first marathon. I was just imagining someone who ran a half 6 months ago, on 20 mpw, then took a break off running and now decides he wants to run a marathon. That would not be a good idea in my mind.

I agree.  But apart from mentioning it to my husband, there is nothing else I can do.  If they want to be stubborn, they will do it anyway.  Like I suggested, maybe letting them know you are available for questions and advice due to your prior experience might be a good way to start the conversation rather than saying something (to non-husbands, I mean).

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It will be 46 or so here, but with a cold 'feels like' temp, but I'm still going outside to run today, even though our wind is supposed to be 'gusting' by the time I go.  Our crazy weather..look at this nutty forecast....in a few days we'll be warm again!  Dang Mother Nature...hot/cold, hot/cold, hot/cold...we can't get adjusted, no wonder people all around Texas are walking around with the sniffles, coughing, etc.

You work, Lilly?  Gee, and here I thought you were independently wealthy...another illusion of mine shattered!   Hope you can beat that cold into submission!

Sorry about the 'footsies' jj.  Sucks about your work situation too, hope that resolves quickly!   And good luck to your sister, wow!  I will think good thoughts for her!  Man, you are really getting it piled on here lately, aren't you?    7 races isn't really so much when you think about it.  I did one on New Year's Day, then 1 on Jan 4, then another on Jan 5, then 1 on Jan 11, and then 1 on Jan 18th, and then two on Jan 25th.  So, you see, it's only just  a couple of 'back-to-back'  or same day races and then I had a week in between the other ones.   Besides, at my pace it's not like I'm actually RACING, lol, and I have pretty low overall weekly mileage (about 18 - 20 miles per week), so I can get away with doing several races.  It's not really all that much of an accomplishment when you break it down like that, lol.  Now my friend Bernadette, she does just about as many races as I do a year (I did 75 in 2013 and she did 62) and she actually RACES...and places in her age group in just about all of them, The 5K we both did on Saturday afternoon, she finished in 26:06.  She runs EVERY race like that, amazes me she does not get injured doing so many events at that pace, but she doesn't.

Dang, LRB...you need a San Antonio winter get-away.  Come for a visit, we'll go run on the Riverwalk and have some beers post-run right along the water.

I hope your miles go well, Damaris!

Basya, you are just a workout machine! BTW, what's an AMT?  When I first read that - or 'misread', I should say -  I thought you were having some kind of workout with an ATM, lol.

Hope your shoveling went well, Step and, with winds like that, hope you didn't end up in Oz somewhere! Dang, your temps sounds cold!

Holy crap, Andrew, your temps are as bad as Step's!  How in the heck do you live in temps like that?  That would get really old really fast for me!

Enjoy the work dinner after work, Oski, hope they give some great food!

Enjoy the SRD, B-Plus.

Very sorry, outoftheblue...good thoughts for you and yours.

just read that madden sports predicted broncos over seahawks and it's has been right 80% of the time!  Shaddup!      Go Seahawks!  Well, I like the Broncs too, so either way is okay, I guess, but I'd like to see the 'underdogs' win.   Sorry about your Starbucks card loss, Ric! Maybe your body and mind are subconsciously  telling you to cut down on caffeine.

Congrats on getting your 7 done already Yugo!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I like how they put that freezer look into temps most of the people here would consider warm right now.  Unfortunately, this cold front will not make it down to me.

Damaris

happylily

Scotty, believe it or not, I have worked for 28 years without interruption. For a very little salary, might I add. But I consider myself lucky. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your progress, John!

Is anybody else tired of this cold weather..   Hell, yeah, FreeSoul, and I'm not even NEARLY as cold as what the rest of y'all have, but even so I'm still sick of the cold that we do get. I really need to live in a tropical paradise somewhere that is warm all year round, lol.   Good luck with your Fast Food Quest...I am doing the same thing, I eat way too much of it, so I'm trying to cut way down this month.   Don't know if I will cut it out altogether yet, but I will hopefully do better than I have been doing.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Oh, I know. If it were my neighbors, I wouldn't say a word to them about it except "Good luck!". But if it were my child, or my husband, I would voice my concerns regarding the whole thing.

I can understand that.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

No it does not. I have a friend (not on this forum) who has been running marathons and half marathons for years. She does 2-3 marathons a year and 4 or 5 HMs. She puts in a lot of mileage and runs consistently. Her marathon PR is 6:06. Her HM PR is 2:44. Would you say because she is slow she is not well trained? I don't see the connection.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I agree, Kristy.

Just got an order saying I won my trial. Pinch me because I might be dreaming!

Damaris