Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES - Black Ice or snow? (Read 35 times)

LRB

But if I'm part of the 100, my answer will be better

lol

From the Internet.

I feel for you, Lauren.  I am supposed to get a pacemaker put in sometime around May - right when our local weather is really nice before our brutal summer days start - and will have to take a few weeks off.  My poor wife will be getting the brunt of my withdrawals and impatience.

Ahh man! That'll be a tough few weeks for sure!

workinprogress11

3 miles.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I feel for you, Lauren.  I am supposed to get a pacemaker put in sometime around May - right when our local weather is really nice before our brutal summer days start - and will have to take a few weeks off.  My poor wife will be getting the brunt of my withdrawals and impatience.

San Antonio is nice in May?  Damn, I'm moving.

Damaris

Runshortii

5 miles. It was 2 degrees with a real feel of -15. It wouldn’t have been as bad if the roads were actually clear

GinnyinPA

I ran 11 miles in falling snow. It was a nice run, for the most part. Temps were right around freezing and it didn't start sticking to the road until about halfway. Only one street was actually white with snow. That road has some steep sections so I ran it very slowly. The rest was just a steady comfortable chug a chug. My only issue was I wasn't sure how visible I was to the drivers, and there was more traffic than I expected. One of the roads I was running is an informal bypass for big trucks that don't want to deal with the constant stop and go in town, and I hoped that by going early, I'd avoid most of them. I did, but not all.

Werd.  Interesting perspectives on Gu--both timing and flavors.  DaveP, I totally agree, the chocolate is my favorite taste, but I cannot deal with the texture in the late miles.  I have actually started liking the berry flavors, before I was strictly chocolate or the salted caramel.  I got the mixed set from Amazon, and surprise surprise, that blackberry jet is yummy, as is the strawberry banana!  So like LRB, this new one is my second box.  I managed to get the first box to last almost a year, so I figure it's not a terrible investment.

I have been training with 1 every 6ish miles for stuff over 15.  If I plan to take one every 45 minutes, it would be more like every 5 miles.  I tried to stretch out the nutrition in training so having a bit more at the actual race will hopefully make me feel super amazing.  But plans are made to be broken, so I'll just do whatever is working when I'm in it.

Last "workout" today: 2 easy, 4 at GMP -10 seconds, 3 easy.  Friday's MP workout sucked balls, and I was a little concerned, but today the last easy 3 ended up close to GMP, and the 4 were not difficult, so I guess no need to panic.  Back to weather stalking as the main reason for panicking.  It's supposed to rain on Saturday, that shit better be done with by Sunday morning.

Onemile, totally agree on the Launch being pretty similar to the Ghosts.  I have a pair of the 4s, and I like everything about them except the color.  As it turns out, I'm better off paying an extra $10 for the sale shoes I don't think are ugly AF because I'll get more use out of them.  I'm jelly of the ones I got hubs, I may have to find some on sale for myself   I think the longest I've done in them is 13, but they seem like they'd be fine for whatever distance.

DavePNW

Werd.  Interesting perspectives on Gu--both timing and flavors.  DaveP, I totally agree, the chocolate is my favorite taste, but I cannot deal with the texture in the late miles.  I have actually started liking the berry flavors, before I was strictly chocolate or the salted caramel.  I got the mixed set from Amazon, and surprise surprise, that blackberry jet is yummy, as is the strawberry banana!  So like LRB, this new one is my second box.  I managed to get the first box to last almost a year, so I figure it's not a terrible investment.

I have been training with 1 every 6ish miles for stuff over 15.  If I plan to take one every 45 minutes, it would be more like every 5 miles.  I tried to stretch out the nutrition in training so having a bit more at the actual race will hopefully make me feel super amazing.  But plans are made to be broken, so I'll just do whatever is working when I'm in it.

SB used to be in my rotation, but no caffeine.

I do this too. Every 6 miles in the race, but more like every 8 miles in training, for 18+ (or 16+ if there is an MP portion). For midweek 14-15 milers, I somehow manage to get them done with nothing but 16 oz of coffee in my belly. I don't know whether all this stuff is helpful, as I have yet to feel super amazing in a race.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

I ran 5 hilly miles.  That's my first 200 mile month since Sept 2015, back when I was a runner.  

<3

DavePNW

I ran 5 hilly miles.  That's my first 200 mile month since Sept 2015, back when I was a runner.  

Dave

RunningOnSand

Hey runner friends, I ran close to 10 today w/cruise intervals. 3x2mi @ 8:00 pace was the plan (and that would usually kick my ass), but my Nike Vaporfly 4%'s said, haha, FTS, and they took me faster! I'm pumped to race in them. Also, for any of you interested: coach said they'd break down faster w/ez runs, so to use them in workouts (just to make sure my feet are ok in them and don't get annihilated). If all goes well for my HM next weekend, I'll put them on the shelf til my marathon this spring. He was thinking they last about 100 miles, and I've heard anywhere from 1-200, so I'm hoping mine last a bit longer. Anyway.

The cold hath arrived. And it is as cold as you could imagine.  It'll stay cold, and then warm up to 40* this weekend. Blah. Basically our whole state is shutting down. This weather is bullshit.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Strength training. Now hoping that I can sleep in a bit tomorrow morning.

onemile

Hey runner friends, I ran close to 10 today w/cruise intervals. 3x2mi @ 8:00 pace was the plan (and that would usually kick my ass), but my Nike Vaporfly 4%'s said, haha, FTS, and they took me faster! I'm pumped to race in them. Also, for any of you interested: coach said they'd break down faster w/ez runs, so to use them in workouts (just to make sure my feet are ok in them and don't get annihilated). If all goes well for my HM next weekend, I'll put them on the shelf til my marathon this spring. He was thinking they last about 100 miles, and I've heard anywhere from 1-200, so I'm hoping mine last a bit longer. Anyway.

The cold hath arrived. And it is as cold as you could imagine.  It'll stay cold, and then warm up to 40* this weekend. Blah. Basically our whole state is shutting down. This weather is bullshit.

What did you wear previously for races?

Cyberic

100 miles? Out of a pair of $250 shoes? They better be magical!

DavePNW

100 miles? Out of a pair of $250 shoes? They better be magical!

By all accounts they seem to be the real deal. I can't really justify the expense at this point, so I'll have to earn my PRs the old fashioned way: by cutting the course.

Dave