Beginners and Beyond

RR - Unicorns and Rainbows. (Ok, just rain.) Boston 2015. (Read 86 times)

B-Plus

Jay, you actually threw away your Sabers jersey and hat and all? Geez, are you sponsored or something?

Kind of like how the Oilers and Leafs had several jerseys returned this season?

GinnyinPA

What a great race report.  And an awesome race by you as well.  Congratulations.

Cyberic

Kind of like how the Oilers and Leafs had several jerseys returned this season?

Really? Didn't know that. I have a friend who's an Oilers fan. WTF?

BTW Jay, I realize it wasn't an official jersey but still...

B-Plus

Really? Didn't know that. I have a friend who's an Oilers fan. WTF?

Yep, tossed on the ice. Sorry Jay for the derailment, but at least it's a way to bump this up to the top where it belongs.

LRB

When you are buying throw away garments from the thrift shop to throw away at the marathon, you throw them away. lol

I did the same thing with a nice fleece jacket at my race, but that's what I bought it for. It gets picked up and donated to the homeless or it ends back at the thrift shop so win, win.

hog4life

Your smiles say it all, congrats!

Great race in tough conditions Jay! Nice report.

delicate flower

Love reading your reports, Jay.  It would have been nice if this one ended with a victory like so many of your others, but I guess this will do ok.  Big grin

<3

cjones1

When you are buying throw away garments from the thrift shop to throw away at the marathon, you throw them away. lol

I did the same thing with a nice fleece jacket at my race, but that's what I bought it for. It gets picked up and donated to the homeless or it ends back at the thrift shop so win, win.

I still have a "throwaway" sockhat I bought for my first HM.  As I was getting out of the car to walk to the start line, I just couldn't part with it. Smile

I did toss a pair of $5 windpants with the tags still on them at my race this weekend, though.  Hardest thing I've ever done. Smile

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

LRB

I still have a "throwaway" sockhat I bought for my first HM.  As I was getting out of the car to walk to the start line, I just couldn't part with it. Smile

I did toss a pair of $5 windpants with the tags still on them at my race this weekend, though.  Hardest thing I've ever done. Smile

Yes, notice I said "nice" fleece jacket. When I was wondering if I should toss it or not, I had to shake my head. lol

I imagine for a race like NYC it will be much more than just a jacket getting tossed what with them frigid ass temps you stand in for hours.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Man, my short little legs will never see paces or times like your's... that's just crazy insane Smile

Awesome job and great RR, love the 'stache!!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

bo, RSX, sapf, stone, LB, Lauren, brilliant, Oski, OOTB, work, Ric-G, Jack, Cy, Pad, Kathleen, Ginny, Hog, Fuzzy - thanks!

onemile - you were not that much slower, and you were closer to a PR than I was Big grin

Rick - there are so many things I want to do in the fall... it's too bad that these races require so much build-up and taper that we can only run so many of them a year.

D - not only did the Elixirs match my outfit (by design), they matched the bib as well!  Win win.

Lily - Thank you.  Your eloquent, adventure-laden RRs and your string of BQs have been one of my major inspirations, going back to even before I had ever run one of these things.  Learning from the best Wink

Zelanie - Yes, I think that the 25-33% MP miles is a huge factor.  Also, accumulated endurance over the course of several training cycles.

T-dot - the after party would have been much better with good weather and some sort of centralized... something.  A dance floor, an indoor area, anything.  It was just weird and non-conducive to social interaction as it happened.

DaveP - When you make it, don't sweat the bus ride.  Sweat the pottie lines at AV.

B+ - Your report sounded like the same race.  I am really glad that there wasn't snow on the ground in Hopkinton, for a while it was looking like a distinct possibility.

Cy - The warmups cost me about $5, and there was no shortage of Sabres gear being donated this year.  I am more upset about shedding a Green Bay windbreaker at a local race, because those don't show up every day.

Baboon - yeah, a guitar pales in comparison to the prize for 1st at Boston, lol Big grin

cjones - I kept one pair of windpants slated to be throwaways (as pajamas because they are so comfy).  Kind of like the pardoned turkey at Thanksgiving.

Free - the 'stache is gone for now, but it will return.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

DH got rid of his whole goatee thing all because I said he needed to trim up a little, I wanted to see his jaw line just under the hair but to be a smartass he got rid of the whole thing 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Great report, Jay, very detailed, and nice photos!  Congrats on your Boston and good luck with your next year's goal!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

bump... hoping that LTH sees it.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010